4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Default Re: I (also) bought a TJ

Found this nice little present under the TJ courtesy of the towing company AAA sent. However he chained up the underside of the truck tore the boot on my front Tom Woods driveshaft to pieces. I've pulled the driveshaft so I can figure out what to do. The two pieces of the driveshaft don't just slide off each other (unless I'm missing something) so replacing this boot would be impossible in this case, there's no way a new boot could fit over the ends without ripping

Last Online
    47 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Damn

Last Online
    35 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,011 Posts

I'd contact the towing company for a claim.

My take: The driveshaft likely slides apart for easy boot replacement.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Yep, I've gone through AAA because they contract out the towing and are ultimately responsible. They took all the info down for my claim and said "we will call you".......

Well, I tried pulling the two pieces a little and it definitely has some sort of catch at its max extension. Not many blog/forum posts on the issue, only advice I found was to pull it harder...going to call Tom Woods on Monday and see what they say. I'd rather have a driveshaft with no boot than a driveshaft broken into two pieces

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Jim previously posted:
    "The driveshaft likely slides apart for easy boot replacement."

I would also expect it slides apart, but there is some little trick to it....as you say, contact Tom Woods and get the details. Maybe they will send you a replacement boot.

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago
    4x4
    02 Jeep TJ
    User Name
    TjMike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Nice looking TJ and congrats on the buy!
    Sucks the towing company messed up the boot but the drive shaft does separate. Just give it a good pull. I believe I have an extra one laying around if you want it, boot intact

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to TjMike For This Post:

Steve-O (June 22nd, 2021)

Last Online
    February 7th, 2024
    4x4
    97 TJ
    User Name
    Schmitty
    Real Name
    Schmitty
    Thanks Given

Congrats on the TJ! Oof on the drive shaft! We'll have to wheel soon.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

I never closed the loop on this story, TjMike and others were correct: "just pull harder"...driveshaft came apart fine, regreased the splines and replaced the boot. Bought a cheesy CV joint boot clamp tool and couldn't get it to work, just went with zip ties so hopefully they hold up.

In other news, I have this "slow filling" issue which apparently is common with TJs/LJs in this time period, '03-'05 I think. Apparently there are some bandaid fixes but the video posted in the thread below fixes the true root cause. Anybody have a transmission jack I can borrow? Seems like it makes dropping the fuel tank way easier. Maybe a motorcycle lift would work if it went high enough?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/...uel-tank.1506/

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I did this on my LJ, I was lucky because the LJs have enough room behind the filler to do it without dropping the tank. It helped, but not with filling; it stopped it from overflowing when it was full. Filling seems to be more about the angle, depth and flow rate of the pump I'm using. https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...s-Overflow-Fix

I have a scissor type transmission jack and the type that fits on a floor jack, you are welcome to either or both.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Steve-O (September 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    03 tj
    User Name
    TjSteveA
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I have a motorcycle jack you could borrow. I’ve used it to take my transmission out and to drop my gas tank

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to TjSteveA For This Post:

Last Online
    February 7th, 2024
    4x4
    97 TJ
    User Name
    Schmitty
    Real Name
    Schmitty
    Thanks Given

If you need extra hands lemme know.

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to Schmitty For This Post:

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the offers guys! I was able to get after this this morning and had kind of an odd experience. Dropped the tank, pulled the fuel pump, reached in to pull the valve thing and it wouldn't budge. It also didn't feel like what it looked like in all the youtube videos I watched on this

And that's because it wasn't the same

Name:  Valve_inside1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  Valve_inside2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  23.0 KB

I don't know if I goofed up the model years when researching this, or if some work has been done here and this is an aftermarket valve. Regardless, I couldn't get it out, it's one big piece of plastic that goes up into the other white piece of the plastic that connects to the filler hose. In the second picture I'm pushing the spring-loaded plunger down with my other hand.. I removed the filler hose to investigate the top of the valve and plunger

Name:  Valve_outside.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  58.0 KB

Duh, but this also doesn't look like it did in the videos. The plunger was sticking a little bit right at the top of its motion, as expected. All I could do was rotate the entire valve, which also rotated the opening on how the gas flows into the tank. The opening was facing to the right, as shown in the photos above, I rotated it 90 deg CW so the opening in straight down now. It appears to take some of the pressure/friction off of the lipped part of the plunger, and my hope was gravity would be able to help the situation a little more as the gas flowed straight down into the tank.

Well, believe it or not, it worked (for now). Went to the pump and was able to set it on the highest notch to fill up, and it clicked off as it should when full without a drop being spilled. Who knows how long that will work but it's nice to be able to fill up in a normal amount of time now

Thanks to Paul for letting me borrow his transmission jack, worked like a charm

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to Steve-O For This Post:

Tom (September 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Another small project to take The Beast "from happy to glad". I realized the second speed on the fan didn't work.. 1, 3, and 4 worked fine. Figured it had to be the blower motor resistor. $25 on Amazon...

Name:  20210911_142113.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  49.0 KB
    Name:  20210911_142327.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  56.5 KB

Remove glove box, undo footwell light for extra clearance, unplug harness, undo two screws on resistor card and wiggle it out. Reverse the process and done. Just a pain to work in such a tight area, almost had to get a neighbor kid to help me glad I paid extra for the Mopar part, don't want to do that again anytime soon...

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

I started the Jeep today to head out wheeling and the Check Gauges light came on. Turned it off. OBDII scanner said there's no code (probably because the CEL didn't turn on?) But the key three times in acc trick revealed a P0523 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch High Voltage. I checked the dipstick, oil level was actually a tiny bit high. I let some out so the level is right in the middle of the "safe" zone. Restarted, same gauges light and code, this time I also noticed that the oil pressure gauge was at 0. Turned engine off. I did the gauge diagnostic test (hold trip odometer reset button and turn into acc mode). It ran through it's tests and the oil pressure gauge moved when tested. The electrical harness to the oil pressure sending unit, harnesses to the ECM, and other things in that area all look fine

I'll be honest I don't really know what the gauge diagnostic test *exactly* does/shows. Because the gauge moved, does that mean I definitely don't have an electrical issue? What's the diagnostic path from here? Just go ahead and replace the OPSU? The internet also mentions external oil pressure tests...should I do that before or after replacing the OPSU? If there really was an oil pressure problem (as opposed to just a sending unit problem) I suspect I would have gotten a real CEL as well, not just the Check Gauges light... Thanks for your help (as always)

Last Online
    March 7th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I seem to recall this happening to me before on one of the tjs. I removed the oil pressure sending unit, cleaned it all up and reinstalled and it was fine afterwards. If I recall it was super easy. I may have replaced the sensor at some point or just cleaned it up, can’t remember

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Steve-O (September 19th, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

The gauge diagnostic tests the function of the gauge in the instrument cluster. There could still be a fault with the pressure sensor or the wiring.

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

This is the first thing that came to my mind

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/...hange-mine.80/

25. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

If its like my 1999 then the ECU may make the oil pressure gauge indicate zero to bring your attention to it even though the code indicates that a reading is too high. I once had my alternator fail, which caused a "check gauges" light and my voltage gauge to fall to zero. The voltage was definitely not zero.... it just was not high enough to charge. The ECU indicated zero because I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference between 14.1V and 13.5V and wouldn't know what gauge to look at otherwise.

Does the 2004 model year 4.0 use an oil pressure sensor or a pressure switch? My 99 uses a 3 wire sensor/transducer. The 2004 service manual doesn't seem to be consistent. It shows a 1 wire device in the electrical diagram but in another section it describes a 3 wire 5 volt pressure transducer.

If it's a 3 wire device then based on your descriptions I think a faulty sensor or wiring problem is more likely. They're designed to output somewhere between 0.5 to 4.5 volts when they are reading a pressure, but if they break they should go all the way to 5V or 0V so the ECU knows there is a sensor fault. That P0523 code seems to align with that.

If its a 1 wire device then its most likely a pressure switch. They only indicate pressure above or below a threshold. When they fail they are either stuck open or stuck closed. The ECU probably notices if the switch is closed when the key is on but the vehicle is not yet running.

First I would put the key in the run position but not start it. Back-probe the sensor and see if its reading close to 5V (or maybe battery voltage if its a switch). If so that's a bad sensor or that wire is shorted to 5V. If you unplug the connector, probe that wire and its still 5V then its the wiring. If it drops back to 0V then it's the sensor.

It might also be worth trying to unplug the sensor connector and plug it back in. I used to get a ton of these back from OEMs with nothing wrong with them. Fretting corrosion on the tin terminals would result in a thin layer of tin oxide that would wipe away once you unplugged it and plugged it back in, and if that happens on the ground terminal that could result in the signal terminal going to high rail.

If you pull the sensor/switch out take a look the connector cavity. If there is oil down in the electrical connector that's an indication that the seal failed inside it and its now flooded with oil. If you see little white marks that can indicate moisture getting in from the connector side which wicks along the metal terminal into the sensor and corrodes it from the inside. That would also mean you should also replace the connector on the harness as well or your new sensor could meet a similar fate.

27. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Steve-O (January 9th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

I forgot to say thanks for the responses on this one guys. Really appreciate the thorough write up, Trevor. I replaced the OPSU and haven't had any issues, I'm still curious to do those voltage tests, just haven't gotten to it...

What I did find time for was installing a GMRS radio. Midland MTX275 with their 3dB Ghost antenna. Went for the hard wire, just had to chop of the 12V outlet plug that came on the power cord. Kind of weird how short that cord was, barely made it to the other side of the cab where the fuse box is. Antenna cord on the other hand was a mile long, funny because I needed maybe a foot stuffed the rest inside to the left of the steering column. Antenna probably could have been placed in a higher spot, but I like the look and I'm sure it will work fine. Once I fired it up I got someone on ch 21, said he was in Albuquerque via repeater. Just need to figure out where I want to mount the mic holder, probably that bit of plastic right below the vent

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Steve-O previously posted:
    "Once I fired it up I got someone on ch 21, said he was in Albuquerque via repeater."

Very cool. If it's the repeater I am thinking of it is on lookout mountain, part of a linked system of repeaters that covers parts of the southwest, Channel 20. It would be interesting to see if you turned your jeep around so the windshield frame was to the west of your antenna if you could still hear it as well. I assume you were just listening? They run nets Sundays at 5pm and Wednesdays at 7pm. There would be a lot of transmissions at those times to tinker and listen if you are interested in doing so. On channel 21 there are a pair of repeaters that cover most of the Denver area.

https://www.frontrangegmrs.com/repeaters

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast