4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Default BJs Rescue and Recovery.

Ran into a guy on the trails today, BJ, who just started up a business rescuing people on the trail called Mountain Road Rangers. I said, oh, so like Matt's Rescue and Recovery and he said "people keep bringing that guy up, who is he?"

Nice to have one more local option. We tend to rescue each other but I thought I'd post in case people want to hand out his contact info if maybe you run into someone else stuck on the trail and aren't in the position to help at the time. He's only been doing this less than two months now but in chatting a bit he seems to be kicking it off strong, said he has already done over 100 rescues due to the snow storms and got the Nederland PD to call him in when others were busy.

Pricing seems more than fair, not sure how he'll make any money off it really but feels like he's mostly just trying to cover his gas and tires maybe. He said it's a fixed $100 to pull someone out no matter how much time it takes and that he is just starting to charge after doing the last month pro-bono to try and get his name out there.

https://mountainroadrangers.com/

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

Jim (May 2nd, 2021),open_circuit (May 2nd, 2021),Steve-O (May 3rd, 2021)

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

Default Re: BJs Rescue and Recovery.

Nice.

Funny, I saw this Jeep on reddit recently: https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/4e5...324_151910.jpg

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

That's what I saw him driving. Really friendly guy, I hope he is able to keep his business going. Colorado does seem like a great place for what he is offering. I feel like he's doing it right, instead of sitting around waiting for a call, he goes out on patrol, might as well enjoy some wheeling instead of just waiting around. That's a good day at work in my book.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Interesting... this has come up over the years, a few guys have wanted to start that same business but the insurance was prohibitive, largely unavailable, and it's insane to operate without it. Too many variables for a regular policy. I was in the Boat and Jetski rental business in South Florida for a few years and I had to insure through Lloyds of London, noone in the US even offered an industry specific policy (I think ISJBA has one now). That's why most regular tow companies don't offer offroad towing, as I understand it, and I believe that is why Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery is a 501 non-profit with no fees. I wonder how he's handling that?

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

No idea. He told me he got stuck in the snow, high centered and did manage to get a tow but it was $600 which he felt was way too high and that is why he started his own thing. Also mentioned he wanted to go for faster because calling Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery would be 6 hour wait or something like that and he is shooting to get to people in the front range in much less time which seems reasonable if you just need one guy with a winch, if you need two or more rigs to pull you out like I did last month I have no idea if he is prepared for that or if it's a one man operation.

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

I wonder how Matt's Rescue and Recovery handles the insurance issue?

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

speedkills previously posted:
    "No idea. He told me he got stuck in the snow, high centered and did manage to get a tow but it was $600 which he felt was way too high and that is why he started his own thing. Also mentioned he wanted to go for faster because calling Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery would be 6 hour wait or something like that and he is shooting to get to people in the front range in much less time which seems reasonable if you just need one guy with a winch, if you need two or more rigs to pull you out like I did last month I have no idea if he is prepared for that or if it's a one man operation."

We would have been better off with a team of mules or draft horses getting your rig out!

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Matt's is a big business aside from the offroad stuff so I'd guess he can afford more and better insurance, a good contract lawyer for a very detailed waiver, the answer to everything is usually money. I'd video each recovery too, just for my protection. I'd bet Utah's laws are different than Colorado, probably because of the large amount of dirt roads. I'm guessing. The liability issue with towing a vehicle offroad first came up (for me) with an abandoned Bronco on Barbor Fork that the Forest Service warned everyone against towing out. Apparently in Colorado you're liable for all kinds of stuff when you do that. FR eventually got permission and towed it out, but I remember there was a limitation about how far they could tow it. If I recall correctly it was to the side of the road, but not on road ie. in lanes of travel. Things change too, I have no idea what the current laws are and I'd be interested to see what his set up is. If he's legit I'm putting him in my phone, sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

he better have a friend or two with a decent camera to take some videos and make a name for himself! Then some day, when he makes enough to be a "legit" tow service he can get insurance and all that.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

speedkills (May 3rd, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Paul previously posted:
    "I'd video each recovery too, just for my protection."

In most (all?) of Matt's vids they do a walk-around of the "situation". My thinking is that they are documenting the vehicle for their protection.

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "In most (all?) of Matt's vids they do a walk-around of the "situation". My thinking is that they are documenting the vehicle for their protection."

just imagine all the footage we DON'T see that gets edited out

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "In most (all?) of Matt's vids they do a walk-around of the "situation". My thinking is that they are documenting the vehicle for their protection."

In one of there recent videos the vehicle had a broken tail light when they arrived, you can hear someone say "make sure to get that broken tail light on video."

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

speedkills (May 3rd, 2021)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

My wife was an adjuster specializing in auto claims for a major insurance company here in Denver before we started our business, I showed her this and she saw a couple of things: the vehicles have what look like personal plates, meaning they are registered to an individual not a company. Personal insurance doesn't cover commercial activities, so if he's using his own vehicle he's risking his personal assets including house, retirement accounts, savings, future earnings, etc. Taking passengers in your vehicle for commercial purposes requires additional riders, so if he's giving them a ride out that's more exposure and much riskier than towing alone. Apparently before Uber they routinely denied claims and dropped the customer when they found out a car was being used as a taxi, and still do if you're not part of Uber or Lyft or something like that. She said it's like towing a trailer, as soon as you hook up to it you're 100% liable for it and without proper insurance you're on your own. Add passengers and it's a big can of worms. He could have a successful tow, no issues, all good, and hear from Frank Azar the next morning about back injuries sustained during the ride out because the person he helped saw an opportunity. No good deed goes unpunished...

17. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to Java For This Post:

DaveO (May 4th, 2021),speedkills (May 4th, 2021),Swank1975 (May 4th, 2021),Tom (May 4th, 2021)