2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Camper Van

I'm looking at replacing my car with a van, the car actually is off the road right now getting all it's little issues resolved to sell it. I don't want a full on van life conversion, just something I can park at a hiking trailhead or flat tow my Jeep with and use as a basecamp for a couple of days. My Jeep is about 3800 lbs. I like the Ford vans the best, both Transit for the roof height / newness, and the older Econoline for reliability and price, and for quality overall. Transit 4x4 comes out in 2021, but I'm not sure I need 4x4 or brand new. I do not want a Sprinter, parts are too expensive compared to RAM or Ford, and prices are too high. I also like the Chevy Express, and it's already available with factory AWD. I'd say it's mostly between a Transit or RAM for a high roof, and between an Express and an E-series for price.

Anyone had any experience with this? Any recommendations or links? thanks!

http://sportsmobile.com/van-dimensions/

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Re: Camper Van

I drove a chevy express with the 4.3 v6 and 8 speed auto while my tacoma was in recall....really liked it. We had the windowless work/delivery model, so that was the only thing I didn't like along with being a bit noisey as there was no interior finishing, insulation, carpet etc. We had the shorter wheelbase and easy to drive with incredible room and space.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Java (December 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I will add that the chevy feels quite dated as it hasn't been updated all that recently. Some if that could have been the stripped down delivery model, and a higher end passenger model would have a few more standard features. But I also kind of liked it's simplicity.... again what most liked was the powerful engine and auto trans combination that got 28mpg and can easily tow something - way stronger than my tacoma. I think we had the 2500 frame....

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I actually like the dated aspect of the Express vans, they've been refining the 4.3 since the 90s and it's reliable for atleast 200k, easily more if you take care of it. I'm leaning towards them for the OEM AWD. I don't want a trail van, but I can't see a downside to having it. Really don't need a v8, but I'll see what's available when I'm seriously shopping. I'll probably buy a cargo van rather than have to pull seats and clean or replace old carpet / headliners, but that will depend on what I find. Adding windows to a cargo van is common and easy, there are good write ups and videos. http://www.instructables.com/Custom-Van-Windows/

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

My brother / family purchased a Transit, new, for hauling a large family. If you wish to ask q's, they should have some info. I believe they have been generally happy but I think they did have some door sensor or motor issue with the main sliding side door.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Java (December 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

I think the chevy express AWD vans are mostly V8 1500's. There may have been a handful of years where they put that system in a 2500 but they are rare. I'm not sure if the 4.3 was offered with AWD... I could be wrong through. The AWD system is supposed to be decent for slippery roads but the transfer case and front diff are somewhat small for the size of the van if you wanted to drive it in funkier terrain.... but like you said, you are not looking for a trail-van. I think its a viscus coupling type of transfer case.... single speed. So the only downsides are the mileage hit and that these viscus cases can be a bit sensitive to tire diameter/pressure mismatches. Not a big deal, but you wouldn't want to replace two tires at a time or anything like that.

I've always liked the Chevy Astro. It could be worth a look as it's somewhat similar to the express. It's smaller, but it has the same 4.3. It's towing capacity is a little higher than a 4.3 express as a result (4700 vs 4300lbs). There are even some simple lift kits out there if you wanted to go that way, and its possible to swap in the transfercase from a chevy blaser to give it 4low. Cool... but like you said you are not looking for a trail-van. Being a smaller vehicle its a little more nimble for parking and day-to-day use. I had an old Provan Tiger which was built on an '88 Astro. That old 4.3 was a decent engine. I think an Astro, 2WD or AWD, would be a decent little camping rig that could also flat tow a Jeep. If you wanted a little more space you could throw one of those rooftop tents on it. Just make sure to put an auxiliary trans cooler on it. They tended to burn up 700r4's if you stressed them with a lift, towing, or a class C RV conversion like the Tiger.

If you end up looking at Econolines, make sure to take a look at the seam around the drip rail where the roof is attached. This can crack and allow water to get in. It's not the end of the world to dig it out and reseal it, but it could be something you could haggle over to try and drive the price down. I did mine proactively last year. https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/ is a good place to get some ideas on what to do with the interior. It's not just official sportsmobiles. There are a bunch of posts from people going the homebuild route, plus people's experiences with towing and tinkering with/fixing the stock 2wd drivetrains.

You've probably figured this out, but the diesel ford vans command premium prices on the used market. If you wanted more power than the V8 the V10 is a better value in my opinion. That's what I went with. In a 4x4 conversion the V10 only has a ~1mpg or so penalty over a V8, but you'll have a lot less drag with a stock suspension and may see a larger gain if you stick with the V8.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Java (December 30th, 2020)

Last Online
    55 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

I like the transit myself.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to The StRanger For This Post:

Java (December 30th, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I noticed a fleet sales place nearby. They have used Chevy Express and Ford Transit Connect vans, if you're still looking

https://www.keyfleetresale.com/vdp/1...ield--CO-55303

https://www.keyfleetresale.com/vdp/1...ield--CO-55303

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Java (February 7th, 2021)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Interesting the estimated mileage on the 2014 full size express....we got twice that for the couple weeks we drove one. Wonder if the 4.3v6 and 8-speed automatic we had in the 2019 was a big improvement over the 4.3v6 and whatever transmission is in the 2014.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I'd imagine it is the 8 speed, that is why the JL is so much faster than the JK with the same engine. I'm still looking...