4x4
    '95 Ford Explorer, '91 Suzuki Jimny
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Jeep Jamboree replacing CB with GMRS for 2021

Side Tangent: Why isn't MURS used more instead of FRS/GMRS?

Its 2W power limit puts it at the some power as FRS, but given its lower frequency compared to FRS, you can get more range, and you don't need a license like you would with GMRS. You can even use an external antenna.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Mad Maxx previously posted:
    "Side Tangent: Why isn't MURS used more instead of FRS/GMRS?

Its 2W power limit puts it at the some power as FRS, but given its lower frequency compared to FRS, you can get more range, and you don't need a license like you would with GMRS. You can even use an external antenna."

Because physics (electromagnetics, wave propagation).

MURS is ~ 150 MHz? GMRS / FRS is 450 MHz. The wavelength of MURS is 3x that of GMRS. The MURS radio has a 2 meter wavelength. This means your standard vehicle is a Faraday cage for that wavelength and your performance will be terrible, better than a handheld CB with a rubber-duck antenna but still not good. GMRS/FRS has a wavelength of 2/3 meter, meaning the waves can pass through most or all of the glass openings in a standard vehicle.

If you have an antenna outside the vehicle, none of this is a particular concern. If you try to use a handheld with an attached fixed antenna in a vehicle, this is a big concern.

3. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Jim (June 4th, 2021),Mad Maxx (June 4th, 2021)

Last Online
    5 Days Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

My guess is that it's one of those chicken and egg, market related things as well. Very few manufacturers make MURS radios so they are relatively expensive so no one buys them so manufacturers think the market doesn't support the business case to make more MURS radios....

The external antenna is key like Trent says, although I have used 2m handhelds in a metal vehicle and it technically works... but its definately not the most efficient way to get your signal out. The typical handheld antenna is physically small for MURS frequencies, just like it is for the 2 meter ham band. A 1/4 wave whip should be around 17-18 inches... which is reasonable for a simple mag mount on a metal roof of a car. I know it works for many people, but I've personally found that using an external antenna with a handheld in a vehicle to be awkward. I'm not sure if the rules preclude mobile MURS radios or not.

I think the lower power could be viewed as a good thing... it allows the use of batteries and/or 12V cigarette plug power without overloading the vehicle wiring... and 2 or 5 watts with a good external antenna is plenty for casual offroading. For the same reason I think the 5W midland micromoble model would be cool for the casual offroader because you could get away without having to hardwire it if you also use a mag-mount. If someone made a GMRS mobile that ran off of a self-contained battery and trickle charged off of a 12V or USB plug, sat securely and looked cool in most cup-holders, and came with an external mic and a decent mag-mount external antenna I think you could sell that to every new Rubicon or Bronco owner that might only go offroad occasionally and doesn't want to hack up the dash of their new $60k truck. The same thing could apply for MURS.

Then you have the adoption problem.... what's the point if you don't have anyone to talk to. GMRS has been around since the 60s or 70's I think, and it seems like only recently has it started to gain any traction in the offroad market. That probably also adds to the business case challenges.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Mad Maxx (June 4th, 2021)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234