99 XJ
    User Name
    4x4JeePmaNthINg
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Re: ham vs CB

derf previously posted:
    "I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA in my Cherokee right now. It has the GPS receiver built in to the display unit and it's all set up to do APRS. I have one of the two channels devoted to APRS. The other I use for regular talking back and forth. I don't really pay attention to the text messages. I have looked into hooking up a computer to the COM port in the base unit but it's inconvenient to try to hook up to a tablet. Perhaps the next generation will just do bluetooth directly. I run a 1/4 wave antenna in an NMO mount through a hole in the roof. It works pretty well.

I also run a CB radio. A Cobra 75. That's my primary trail comms radio since CB is what most people use.

Not too long ago I picked up a pair of GMRS handhelds. I did get my license so I'm also looking at adding a 50W base station in the Jeep along with the other two radios."

Do you speak clearly in the mountains with the ham? Or is that why you added gmrs.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

derf previously posted:
    "Perhaps the next generation will just do bluetooth directly."

I've got a Mobilinkd TNC3 that's pretty slick and interfaces well with APRSDroid on my phone via bluetooth. So far I've just plugged it into a handheld radio and rubberbanded them together to make a bit of an APRS grenade, and I have a cable somewhere that would allow me to plug it into my IC-7100 but I haven't tried that yet. If your kenwood has a data port something like that might work well.

I've also gotten it to work with a chromebook running Linux and Xastir (pushes up glasses). Not really suited for mobile use, but it was fun to tinker with.

How does that SMS to APRS system work if you're out of range of a digipeater or igate? I noticed a ton of repetitive packets last weekend that seemed to be looking for some sort of acknowledgement from an SMS message. Maybe someone had just set an aggressive path, but it seamed to be bouncing around between digipeaters and tying up the frequency.

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    1987 Jeep Comanche, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

4x4JeePmaNthINg previously posted:
    "Do you speak clearly in the mountains with the ham? Or is that why you added gmrs."

The ham is great. If there is someone else to talk to. The repeaters come and go depending on if there is a mountain in between.

I got GMRS because that seems to be the way trail comms are going and I want to be ready.

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

Trevor? previously posted:
    "I've got a Mobilinkd TNC3 that's pretty slick and interfaces well with APRSDroid on my phone via bluetooth. So far I've just plugged it into a handheld radio and rubberbanded them together to make a bit of an APRS grenade, and I have a cable somewhere that would allow me to plug it into my IC-7100 but I haven't tried that yet. If your kenwood has a data port something like that might work well."

The port is RS232, which doesn't work well with a tablet USB port. I haven't found anything that works well enough to get them to talk through the cable. But I haven't tried very hard. There are also bluetooth to RS232 adapters but I haven't put much effort into getting one of those to work. Like I say, I hope the next generation of radios adds bluetooth inside the radio to facilitate talking with a tablet for APRSDroid.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

derf previously posted:
    "The port is RS232, which doesn't work well with a tablet USB port. I haven't found anything that works well enough to get them to talk through the cable. But I haven't tried very hard. There are also bluetooth to RS232 adapters but I haven't put much effort into getting one of those to work. Like I say, I hope the next generation of radios adds bluetooth inside the radio to facilitate talking with a tablet for APRSDroid."

My aprs uses a baogeng uv5r, mobilelink tnc, a cheap cell phone for aprsdroid, and a 40 watt amp.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

I couldn't help but pull a manual for that Kenwood radio of yours. That thing is pretty slick. It looks like there is a data port on the back of the radio body next to the PC com port that would provide sound in/out to something like a PC sound card or a KISS TNC like the Mobilinkd. It also looks like your radio basically has its own TNC built right in as well.

Without reading further to know how easy it would be to configure, and whether you can get a PTT line setup through that dataport or if you would have to use some kind of VOX function, it looks like the connections are there to run something like one of these little bluetooth boxes like Tom and I have, or build a cable with a TRRS jack and plug that straight into the headphone/mike port on a tablet or phone. You would be bypassing all of the built-in APRS features and built in GPS. The mobilinkd or APRDDroid software relies on GPS from the phone or tablet. In short, probably possible if you were interested in a project.

As for HAM and GMRS: is it just me or is there much more repeater traffic on the 2 meter VHF band than on 70cm UHF.. at least with analog FM? Between the linked repeater systems like Colorado Connection or the other VHF repeaters in the Denver area you can usually find someone talking. When I scan 70cm I find far less activity unless its digital... and I am only able to decode D-star which no one in this area seems to use. Maybe its different to the north or to the south. There is a GMRS repeater I hear in my area on channel 15 I think. I hear it ID, but I have yet to hear anyone use it. Usually if I scan GMRS in my neighborhood I just pick up little kids on FRS radios, or once a couple of neighbors talking about BBQ recipes. Scanning GMRS on the trail though I do hear more people using it. I wouldnt say there is a clarity differance between HAM and GMRS if you are comparing analog FM signals. With a tech licence for HAM you can use the 2m VHF band, the 70cm UHF band... plus less popular bands like 6m, 1.25m, 23cm etc etc. GMRS is only UHF. There is MURS which is VHF but that's pretty low power and limited to handhelds. I suppose it depends more on what exactly your goals are.

On a side note I picked up a net on 2 meter SSB last sunday night. That was cool. Folks from Thorton down to Parker and further were all connecting via simplex alone. I bet if I had a horizontally polarized antenna at a decent height I could have heard stations from further away. Not bad for VHF.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

"I couldn't help but pull a manual for that Kenwood radio of yours. That thing is pretty slick. It looks like there is a data port on the back of the radio body next to the PC com port that would provide sound in/out to something like a PC sound card or a KISS TNC like the Mobilinkd. It also looks like your radio basically has its own TNC built right in as well.

Without reading further to know how easy it would be to configure, and whether you can get a PTT line setup through that dataport or if you would have to use some kind of VOX function, it looks like the connections are there to run something like one of these little bluetooth boxes like Tom and I have, or build a cable with a TRRS jack and plug that straight into the headphone/mike port on a tablet or phone. You would be bypassing all of the built-in APRS features and built in GPS. The mobilinkd or APRDDroid software relies on GPS from the phone or tablet. In short, probably possible if you were interested in a project.

As for HAM and GMRS: is it just me or is there much more repeater traffic on the 2 meter VHF band than on 70cm UHF.. at least with analog FM? Between the linked repeater systems like Colorado Connection or the other VHF repeaters in the Denver area you can usually find someone talking. When I scan 70cm I find far less activity unless its digital... and I am only able to decode D-star which no one in this area seems to use. Maybe its different to the north or to the south. There is a GMRS repeater I hear in my area on channel 15 I think. I hear it ID, but I have yet to hear anyone use it. Usually if I scan GMRS in my neighborhood I just pick up little kids on FRS radios, or once a couple of neighbors talking about BBQ recipes. Scanning GMRS on the trail though I do hear more people using it. I wouldnt say there is a clarity differance between HAM and GMRS if you are comparing analog FM signals. With a tech licence for HAM you can use the 2m VHF band, the 70cm UHF band... plus less popular bands like 6m, 1.25m, 23cm etc etc. GMRS is only UHF. There is MURS which is VHF but that's pretty low power and limited to handhelds. I suppose it depends more on what exactly your goals are.

On a side note I picked up a net on 2 meter SSB last sunday night. That was cool. Folks from Thorton down to Parker and further were all connecting via simplex alone. I bet if I had a horizontally polarized antenna at a decent height I could have heard stations from further away. Not bad for VHF."

2 meter does seem to be more active than 70cm though I don’t do much ham except on the trail. SOTA etc.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Trevor? (March 17th, 2021)

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

"I couldn't help but pull a manual for that Kenwood radio of yours. That thing is pretty slick. It looks like there is a data port on the back of the radio body next to the PC com port that would provide sound in/out to something like a PC sound card or a KISS TNC like the Mobilinkd. It also looks like your radio basically has its own TNC built right in as well.

Without reading further to know how easy it would be to configure, and whether you can get a PTT line setup through that dataport or if you would have to use some kind of VOX function, it looks like the connections are there to run something like one of these little bluetooth boxes like Tom and I have, or build a cable with a TRRS jack and plug that straight into the headphone/mike port on a tablet or phone. You would be bypassing all of the built-in APRS features and built in GPS. The mobilinkd or APRDDroid software relies on GPS from the phone or tablet. In short, probably possible if you were interested in a project."

Yeah, you just go through the menus and set some details and it does everything to get you working APRS. You can see other people showing up on the screen as their packets come through. It will even do packet forwarding if you enable it. The only thing missing for me is a nice map display so I can see everyone in range on a screen.

I will say that APRS enthusiasm seems to be dropping off amid privacy concerns. If you make it to a digipeater, anyone in the world will know exactly where you are the whole time. All they have to do is go to https://aprs.fi and they can see everyone all over the world.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

"I will say that APRS enthusiasm seems to be dropping off amid privacy concerns. If you make it to a digipeater, anyone in the world will know exactly where you are the whole time. All they have to do is go to https://aprs.fi and they can see everyone all over the world"

Agree they can but how many non hams have actually heard of aprs. And do I care if they know where I am at when off roading? Personally i don’t.

Last Online
    July 11th, 2022
    4x4
    2007 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    4runner.Ric
    Real Name
    Ric
    Thanks Given

late here, but these are sweet from what Ive researched https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt27...two-way-radio/ I dont have one, but the guys i wheel with have been talking about getting them. We generally run those little baofeng on a MURS ch. (i think lol) we dont use the HAM channels as none of us have a license, I personally have a yeasu ft-7900 hard mounted.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

4runner.Ric previously posted:
    "late here, but these are sweet from what Ive researched https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt27...two-way-radio/ I dont have one, but the guys i wheel with have been talking about getting them."

I just installed this radio into my JL wrangler. CoolTech has a kit that I ordered, but the cable is delayed. Over the weekend I was making contacts from even just the tiny little antenna that comes with the radio that I just magnetically stuck on a bolt on the hood. I do have a license though so I can try to use some of the repeaters. Since the license is halving in price to 35 bucks for the whole immediate family I think its a great thing to get.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Edit: After measuring the distance on google maps I doubt I was using that repeater... maybe just coincidence that the contact was on the same channel as the repeater's reported channel. There is however no obstructions to that direction and the contact was coming in pretty weak.

Just wanted to share, that with only the included antenna installed, I am almost certain that I made contact with someone over this repeater while I was at RAM offroad park, which is just east of Colorado Springs. I was on channel 17 which matches the repeater's 462.600MHz. I didn't check with the contact I made where he was at, he was too busy spreading misinformation on covid vaccines. I'm sharing this because I think that is astounding range and it was super easy to use the repeater with an out of the box setup.

The only thing that has me suspicious that I was actually making use of the repeater is that the myGMRS repeater map entry for this repeater says that it is not yet online.

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,011 Posts

Measuring (Google Earth) RAM Offroad Park to that marker (2/3 of the way east between Lamar and Granada) is right at 130 miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12