99 XJ
    User Name
    4x4JeePmaNthINg
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default ham vs CB

Hi All,

I was playing with the idea of getting my folks a CB for their jeep, but I'm not sure they would get much use out of it really, its not likely they would reach someone if they needed. Ham radio would be a good choice but I don't see either of them acquiring the license for the use of one, I dont even have one though its on the to do list.

So a CB would be something I guess, or a handheld baofeng 5w just incase of dire emergency (I know its illegal if its not emergency use), but the thought was there just to have something.

What do you all use and how much communication do you get out of what is in your vehicle?

How easy/ not easy would it be for them to reach someone on a repeater if they needed help in the Noco 4x4 areas?

thank you

Last Online
    15 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Default Re: ham vs CB

I have both and rarely use the HAM as only a few people in my club also have it. HAM is a lot clearer even for short distances. There are plenty of repeaters to where you can call down from the mountains to the Front Range. However if they do not get the license will they even know how to use it in an emergency?

If it would truly just be for emergencies, have you thought about getting them a satellite device?

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Michael's two questions are the two I have with your query.

What are the recurring costs to satellite emergency notifiers these days?

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

You could go GMRS radio. Requires a license but its just pay a fee and fill out paperwork.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

TyTheJeepGuy (March 23rd, 2021)

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but are your folks somewhat tech savvy and/or do they have some experience with using two-way radios already? I wouldn't assume the average person could suddenly operate a ham radio especially under the stress of an emergency without some education and experience.

It's not super difficult, but it's not super simple like dialing 911 either. Even small but unfamiliar things like the squelch and the half duplex connection, in which you push a button to talk and then release it to listen, can easily trip up novice users.

And before that they would need to know what repeaters they might be within range of and be able to tune to the appropriate memory channel, preferably a repeater with a wide area of coverage or part of a linked system. With a Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) capable ham radio, choosing a repeater can be automatic but they still need to be within range of at least one DMR capable repeater.

A concern (even for me) is that there may not be anyone listening to hear a distress call. There aren't many hams using the repeaters compared to 30 years ago when very few had a cell phone.

DMR might reach more listeners because the radio could be programmed to use an enormous "talk group", making the distress call heard over many linked repeaters in a very wide area. But again the radio still needs to be within range of a DMR capable repeater.

A satellite communicator device like InReach may well be a better choice for your folks. One button sends a distress message and GPS location to a 24/7/365 monitoring office. The device can be set to send a breadcrumb trail of GPS locations at intervals to chosen email addresses.

Depending on the service and model, they have limited two way satellite text messaging capability as well. The disadvantage is a recurring subscription fee, but some plans can be suspended during months when it's not in use.

-Bob (N0TZU, Amateur Extra Class ham)

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to Bob For This Post:

Steve-O (November 26th, 2020)

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    1987 Jeep Comanche, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

There is a good repeater network run by the Colorado Connection. https://www.colcon.org/

It is monitored 24/7 and can call emergency services for you. But like any repeater network the mountains can cause spotty availability.

If you're not really into ham already it may not be the best choice. CB has distance limitations and while a lot of off roaders use CB it will still be difficult to reach people in an emergency.

If I wasn't already into ham, I'd choose one of the satellite services described above.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to derf For This Post:

Bob (November 27th, 2020)

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

The organization that Derf alluded to that monitors the Colorado Connection for emergencies: https://co-cern.org/... in case anyone unfamiliar was curious.

Per the colcon website, you can see approximate coverage maps for the various repeaters. You asked about NoCo, so for example The Fort Collins repeater coverage is here:
    https://www.colcon.org/wp-content/up...7/buckhorn.png

You can see from the map that repeater coverage can get a bit spotty in the mountains. One may have to move a bit to get a signal. Connecting to a repeater requires not only the input frequency, but the offset frequency and any necessary input tones. It's not rocket science, but its not something the average person can figure out in a vacuum. You'd want to pre-program that in the radio.

If you were stuck but not in immediate physical danger, you might be able to ask CERN to call a buddy, or to call Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery if you can get a signal out to one of the repeaters. There's a good chance you might need to hike to get a signal out (assuming you have a handheld radio), then you'll likely have to wait a few hours while those folks get organized.

You'll hear Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery on the connection occasionally when they are getting organized for a recovery. They seem to make it a point to let CERN know when they head out and when they head back.

Bob and Derf make good points. Ham can be useful and a lot of fun (got my general 2 weeks ago) but to be useful in an emergency it takes time and interest to learn how to best go about that. In my opinion CB is really only good for communication between trucks on a trail, especially with a little fiberglass antenna on a Jeep.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    99 XJ
    User Name
    4x4JeePmaNthINg
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Yeah, it would be a bit tricky to make sure they know how to use a ham for emergency, the satellite messengers idea is interesting. It would seem a satellite messenger would cost yearly, not sure how much as of yet, but a PLB would be free beyond original purchase it seems.

I'm curious how long it would take for the signal to be found and your info relayed to some authority/family with the PLB.

Gmrs radios are just a walky talky deal arent they, Its been a while since Ive read up on them, but I recall it was kind of limited distance like CB.

Ideally something that has as close to a direct contact as a 911 call would be optimal.

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

GMRS would be cool as a trail radio if you could get most of the people you ride with to adopt it. There are the handhealds you are thinking of, but there are also mobile radios with more power... 20 or 25 watts I believe. The antenna sizes on UHF frequencies (like GMRS) are much smaller and should be pretty easy to mount.

The main issue that prevents adoption seems to be that people dont like paying 70 or 80 bucks for a 10 year licence... that and CB seems to get the job done for most people that already have one.

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

4x4JeePmaNthINg previously posted:
    "Yeah, it would be a bit tricky to make sure they know how to use a ham for emergency, the satellite messengers idea is interesting. It would seem a satellite messenger would cost yearly, not sure how much as of yet, but a PLB would be free beyond original purchase it seems.

I'm curious how long it would take for the signal to be found and your info relayed to some authority/family with the PLB.

Gmrs radios are just a walky talky deal arent they, Its been a while since Ive read up on them, but I recall it was kind of limited distance like CB.

Ideally something that has as close to a direct contact as a 911 call would be optimal."

A PLB doesn’t have a way to specify the nature of the emergency. They are intended for a life threatening emergency such as a boat sinking, plane crash, or being hopelessly lost in deep wilderness. The authorities are usually going to assume the worst and mount a full rescue effort (unless they have additional information).

A satellite communications device allows a text message to be sent (or two way text messaging) to tell the 24/7 monitors, or friends/relatives, what the problem is. The response appropriate for a routine disabled vehicle on a nice summer day is very different from that needed for someone with a medical emergency.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

The only reason I suggestied grms is that they have more power than a cb so they will reach out further.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr \ 1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:
    "The only reason I suggestied grms is that they have more power than a cb so they will reach out further."

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. GMRS is legal to broadcast on up to 2Watts after an FCC change, I think it used to be limited to 1W. The cool thing is, unlike an amateur radio license, you can buy a GRMS license that applies for your entire immediate family for 70 dollars, this lasts for 10 years. So my brother and I can use the same callsign (this is rarely used in GMRS anyway but I sent it to him just in case he does have to "prove" anything) and neither of us had to take a test. The best part is, the license lets you broadcast with up to 50 watts!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera..._Radio_Service

I plan on keeping my CB radio in my rig since that is a great common ground, but I hope the industry standard can switch over. I plan on installing a nice high power GMRS radio in my rig this summer, but need to think of a good way to quickly switch between the radio systems. Not exactly a ton of real estate in my cab for two radios, let alone one

The extra cool thing is GMRS is already the standard for vehicles like side by sides, and my snowmobile group uses it as well. Usually they are broadcasting at 2W max to avoid making their users get a license to be legal. I like that if someone doesn't want to spend on a license and high power radio, they can get an entry-level low technical barrier setup and be able to communicate with those that decide to go into a higher power setup. So this way on my annual holiday trip to the desert I can communicate with my brother on the trail, and if I get enough power I can still communicate with him even when he goes 90mph over the whoops that I have to take at 5 mph

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Ty I have three mounted radios in my rig full time. Plenty of space

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

`some day I'll get kitted out like Tom is...

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    99 XJ
    User Name
    4x4JeePmaNthINg
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

How accessible would GMRS be vs ham? I know CB is more line of sight oriented.

Tom,
    Do you run all three radio types?

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

"How accessible would GMRS be vs ham? I know CB is more line of sight oriented.

Tom,
    Do you run all three radio types?"

All radio is line of sight though one does get a bit of curvature as waves pass over the horizon.

I run CB, and two ham radios. One ham is dedicated aprs. I tout ham because of all the repeater. I inow gmrs has repeaters as well. I don’t believe they are as abundant as ham repeaters. One example of why I liike ham repeaters. I was on a ridge SW of Poncho Springs. With a 5 watt baofeng I communicated via repeater to someone in Denver.

With aprs one can track realtime my location. As well I can send/receive via radiio email and sms messages with non radio users.

I also have FRS/GMRS handhelds. My gmrs license is expired. Of the three systems ham has the clearer communications (noise/static).

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I just ditched my CB because it was a pain and I ended up leaving it home all the time. I've had three different mounts that all shook offroad and it takes up a good deal of dashboard real estate. I've ripped the antenna wiring off atleast three times, the power cord once, and I had a magnetic antenna that was also a pain- the wire had to go out somewhere so there was always a window cracked, and it got knocked off on the trail a couple of times. I have a small HAM somewhere, but so few other people have had them on the trail that I ended up leaving that home too, although that does seem to be changing. I really like the FRS / GMRS radios, they're tiny, great reception and are cheap enough not to care about.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    99 XJ
    User Name
    4x4JeePmaNthINg
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:
    "All radio is line of sight though one does get a bit of curvature as waves pass over the horizon.

I run CB, and two ham radios. One ham is dedicated aprs. I tout ham because of all the repeater. I inow gmrs has repeaters as well. I don’t believe they are as abundant as ham repeaters. One example of why I liike ham repeaters. I was on a ridge SW of Poncho Springs. With a 5 watt baofeng I communicated via repeater to someone in Denver.

With aprs one can track realtime my location. As well I can send/receive via radiio email and sms messages with non radio users."

This is intriguing, i didnt know you could send text/email via radio. Im reading they make dual receive radios for what you have set up with the two i think? Just way more expensive. Im not sure my folks would do the test for ham, but if this would open up contact to me if they were in the noco mountains (boulder-red feather), this is a promising option. Heck I might do this just for that ability.
    I found a video of a local guy (justinking) that reviews a kenwood ham radio that has this aprs ability, and GPS(? What haha!) It seems his go to for reaching out, but maybe he can use other frequencies for emergency services? I sure would like to try this aprs to sms, thats huge for communication if you can readily tell family where you are.

GMRS sounds worth while to, once the license price drops to 35$.

I wonder why you cant just have an all in one amateur radio license that allows all these platforms. It would seem to me that anyone going the length to be responsible and test for this, should be able to operate all platforms once learned? Ill have to read more on this.

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to Max For This Post:

4x4JeePmaNthINg (March 17th, 2021)

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    1987 Jeep Comanche, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

"This is intriguing, i didnt know you could send text/email via radio. Im reading they make dual receive radios for what you have set up with the two i think?"

I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA in my Cherokee right now. It has the GPS receiver built in to the display unit and it's all set up to do APRS. I have one of the two channels devoted to APRS. The other I use for regular talking back and forth. I don't really pay attention to the text messages. I have looked into hooking up a computer to the COM port in the base unit but it's inconvenient to try to hook up to a tablet. Perhaps the next generation will just do bluetooth directly. I run a 1/4 wave antenna in an NMO mount through a hole in the roof. It works pretty well.

I also run a CB radio. A Cobra 75. That's my primary trail comms radio since CB is what most people use.

Not too long ago I picked up a pair of GMRS handhelds. I did get my license so I'm also looking at adding a 50W base station in the Jeep along with the other two radios.

25. The Following Member Says Thanks to derf For This Post:

Tom (March 17th, 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast