2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default End Of Dispersed Camping in South Platte RD

"Illegal parking spots that become networks of roads pushing deeper into the forest. Piles of garbage left in campsites. Abandoned, smoking campfires. Illegal shooting. And so much poop.

That’s what pushed Brian Banks to the limit. The messes left by the masses have spurred the district ranger of the Pike National Forest’s 450,000-acre South Platte Ranger District to install a system to convert his district’s bounty of once-free, dispersed campsites into pay sites that can be reserved. "

https://coloradosun.com/2020/10/07/s...Ssa2LSLxYL_27Y

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Tom (October 17th, 2020)

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Default Re: End Of Dispersed Camping in South Platte RD

Judging from the photos I cannot say I blame the fs.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I've driving through some of those areas in the district and it's disgusting. Some people's kids are ruining it for everyone. This system can at least offer some tools for accountability of campers and cut down on people living out there. Unfortunately this will push the homeless camps to other forest districts adding to their problems which will likely cascade into more dispersed camping closures.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

I raise an eyebrow to this paragraph:

"But the new reservation system could make camping trips less intimidating for newcomers, she said, eliminating the first-timer angst that comes with trying to find a campsite in a forest filled with more experienced — and largely white — campers. So Cameron hopes the reservation system, even though it costs money, could lower other barriers that can prevent people of color from getting outside and hopefully sparking a passion that could lead to more outdoor experiences."

Attribution appears to be "Patricia Cameron". A curious visit... www.coblackpackers.com/about

Those white people are a problem. When you bring color into the argument, you're a...

Color / ethnicity could wholly be left out of that paragraph. It could have taken the angle - people who frequent the public lands are barriers to those who don't frequent public lands, though might want to. [which is an odd comment as well]

Am I off base in my thinking?

I should add - the attribution line and link where the last items I placed, or knew about, in this post.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Brian (October 17th, 2020)

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

I’m thinkin homeless camps ?

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

The same problems are in many other places too. There are now north of five million people living along the Front Range, so camping areas are quickly filled. Add in the homeless and druggies and the situation clearly must change.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Jim I don't think it's saying white people are the problem. When it comes to getting a diverse population outdoors there are certain "barriers" even if not material, people hold in their minds. I am often nervous about getting out to try and find camp sites myself in new areas. It's frustrating to drive down a forest road trying to find a spot for a long time getting in deeper and into more rugged terrain. Sure if I'm out look for that adventure I'm fine with it. If it's an area I already know then it's no big deal.

Try picturing yourself as a young person of color who wants to experience camping and bring your wife and kids out to the great mountains you hear so much about. You don't know what roads to go on, how many spots there are, if you will get one before the kids start melting down in the back seat out of hunger and boredom. This could easily turn into a horrible experience and ruin it for the next generation.

I can see this being a problem for anyone who hasn't grown up in these hills and a reservation system while implementing some level of accountability will take some of the uncertainty out of a weekend trip also. We want to include everyone in the outdoors and get them to love the access of the wilderness. If you exclude them from this they are not very likely to support conservation and support for this recreational opportunity when it counts.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Swank1975 previously posted:
    "Jim I don't think it's saying white people are the problem. When it comes to getting a diverse population outdoors there are certain "barriers" even if not material, people hold in their minds. I am often nervous about getting out to try and find camp sites myself in new areas. It's frustrating to drive down a forest road trying to find a spot for a long time getting in deeper and into more rugged terrain. Sure if I'm out look for that adventure I'm fine with it. If it's an area I already know then it's no big deal.

Try picturing yourself as a young person of color who wants to experience camping and bring your wife and kids out to the great mountains you hear so much about. You don't know what roads to go on, how many spots there are, if you will get one before the kids start melting down in the back seat out of hunger and boredom. This could easily turn into a horrible experience and ruin it for the next generation."

I empathize with this concern about finding a dispersed campsite and being unsure of where you are going. However, there are numerous paid (improved) camp sites in the area as well. Most of these sites have first-come/first-served spots that cannot be reserved (like dispersed camping). The sites which can be reserved in advance are often booked many weeks in advance, making it difficult to go camping on short notice in the improved areas served by a reservation system as well. I am slightly concerned that a reservation system will result in fewer opportunities for camping for folks who cannot or will not plan their trip a month in advance to secure a reservation. It is a difficult problem to solve as an increasing population competes for limited resources here.

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "I empathize with this concern about finding a dispersed campsite and being unsure of where you are going. However, there are numerous paid (improved) camp sites in the area as well. Most of these sites have first-come/first-served spots that cannot be reserved (like dispersed camping). The sites which can be reserved in advance are often booked many weeks in advance, making it difficult to go camping on short notice in the improved areas served by a reservation system as well. I am slightly concerned that a reservation system will result in fewer opportunities for camping for folks who cannot or will not plan their trip a month in advance to secure a reservation. It is a difficult problem to solve as an increasing population competes for limited resources here."

Just follow some of the crowd I have seen this year (saying that sarcastically of course). I have seen many that appear to have pulled their trailers up to the hills, parked them, and have left them. They now have a "permanent" camping spot on public land to use at their will. They visit every so often and, at least I hope, will tow them back before winter.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Getaklu previously posted:
    "I have seen many that appear to have pulled their trailers up to the hills, parked them, and have left them. They now have a "permanent" camping spot on public land to use at their will. They visit every so often and, at least I hope, will tow them back before winter."

And in this the FS does have a "day limit & distance" set of rules (something like no more than 20 days at one spot and not closer than 30 miles for another spot). If folks report a vehicle parked - it could be reported and the FS could monitor (day limit passed) and then hauled out.

Granted, this wholly gets into the "FS doesn't have the resources" issue. I could see the FS get more involved with sponsoring clubs. A sponsor could monitor (& document) with the FS and once the day limit is past, the club with local sheriff / towing company could get scheduled to remove the trailer (local club towing out to public road). I could see sponsoring clubs willingly getting involved in such a task.

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I’ve thought about moving them just for fun, kind of a hind and seek if you will. Caught, I’d be in deeper with the law than they would for sure.

You do have a valid idea.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given