1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Re: SBC 350 for the 58 Willys

Most all of the lifters bottom wear pattern looks like this - circular and minimal wear:

Even the questionable #2 lifter has circular wear under the corrosion - so guessing the wear pattern 'on top' of the corrosion is just from turning it over by hand after the corrosion developed in storage?

One of the #3 lifters looks like it was pushed up and the section of the top of the lifter exposed above the bore has a bunch of corrosion:

I'd have to go back and check whether this is the exhaust or intake for #3, but #3 valve seats were also the worst....guessing it was stored with that valve open? Anyway...I think at least 2 of the lifters would need replaced, so they may all get replaced. The $3 lifters from Summit do not get good reviews (issues with the hardened base?), but the $4 lifters from Sealed Power seem like they might work, and I can get them locally without shipping.....Going to pull the cam and see how it looks before ordering as a cam-lifter kit might be needed....

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Default Re: SBC 350 questions

Jim previously posted:
    "The carbon on that valve is crazy thick! I've never seen anything that bad."

Think I found the culprit...after the issues with 2 of the lifters, I decided to pull the camshaft to inspect....

It has 2 issues - the first is this corrosion on the #2exhaust lobe that corresponds to the lifter with the corrosion on the base....

It could probably be polished up a a bit, but the second issue is the deal killer....lobe for the #3 cylinder is flat...I would guess this corresponds to the issues with the valve seats and extreme carbon build-up on the #3 valves....maybe its a bit hard to see in the photo, but the last of the 4 lobes in the pic is the flat one - very easy to see and feel in person.

So new cam and lifters it is....The current cam is stamped GM, so it appears to be a regular factory non-performance cam, and I guess I should be ok to get a standard stock replacement with new lifters and not cause any issues with pushrod length or rocker arms etc....

I've got some other concerns as well as two of the pistons may have an issue - not sure if something with the rod bearings or maybe a ring issue....guess its time to flip the engine over and look from the bottom....

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I pulled the #3 piston and rod....the good news is it came out easily by hand and did not get stuck on a ridge at the top of the cylinder. The bad news might be that it came out too easily indicating significant cylinder bore wear? The skirt looks ok, the wrist pin moves easily, the rings are not obviously broken or damaged, and the rod bearing are nice and smooth although there is some discoloration or wear down into a bronze colored layer on the rod shell...The wear patter on the side of the piston also caught my attention...

Will need a ring compressor to re-install if I choose to do so....but thinking I need to get the block tanked, or at least ensure all the oil passageways are clean, and that means finishing the disassembly with removing the pistons and the crank. Hoping, maybe I can just tank the block, hone the cylinders, and re-use the pistons and rods with new rings and bearings and re-assemble with new cam etc....But my inexperienced 'gut feeling' is that cylinders may be too worn for a honing and will require boring, and then its full-on complete rebuild with new pistons etc....Basically, thinking I bought a core, which was part of the risk of buying a used engine...

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Took empty block and crank to the machine shop - had a nice discussion and got some measurements confirmed...The block has never been bored - at the top of the bore you can still measure 4.0".....below the cylinder ridge, the bores are all enlarged .010" or slightly more due to wear, and although we didn't do a ton of measurements for out of roundness, it looks to be over .003" in the cylinders. I am not sure I fully understand the clearance issue/measurements on the rod journal, but specifically the 7/8 rod journal was showing .007 clearance (I think its supposed to be more like .002" as the rod journal is standard sbc 2.1") - apparently that would have made a heck of a rod knock. In other words, no way are they willing to just hone it....and realistically, its probably doesn't have much hope of being any kind of decent runner without proper rebuild machine work (boring the cylinders etc)...Basically, it would cost me some money for a new cam, lifters and timing chain to even try to salvage it as is, and most likely it wouldn't run any better than the tired sbc283 that is in the willys right now...We were joking that basically, the current sbc283 is probably in the exact same condition....so going to set things aside for a bit and think about it. The block and heads are most likely a great core to rebuild from, but the cost is not in my budget right now. May wait until spring when maybe I can expand my budget and go full rebuild...

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Well dang! I was really enjoying the updates and watching the planning and progress you were making.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brian For This Post:

FINOCJ (November 4th, 2020)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Sorry it worked out that way, but atleast it's worth what you paid for it. It was smart of you to tear it down first instead of just running it on faith.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

deleted - moved to proper thread