Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Forklift freight delivery acceptance options?

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default Forklift freight delivery acceptance options?

I think I'm going to order the GR8TOPS LJ Safari cab hard top this fall. The hard top can be shipped freight, but apparently needs to go to an address where a forklift is available to get the ~350 lb pallet off the truck. I don't have a relationship with any shops around here that I know can handle receiving the pallet for me, but I think there are a few of you in this forum who might have some connections or facilities to handle this. How would I arrange for someone to receive a pallet like this? The pallet would be 8ft x 5ft x 2 ft approximately.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Re: Forklift freight delivery acceptance options?

That is a beautiful top!

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

open_circuit (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "That is a beautiful top!"

I've been interested in this top for years. I think now is probably the time we commit to it. If we get this top, I'll have a factory soft top and frame that I no longer have a use for. *hint hint*

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

open_circuit previously posted:
    "The hard top can be shipped freight, but apparently needs to go to an address where a forklift is available"

If you can find out which freight company the retailer will be using, there is a good chance they will have a distribution center in the greater metro area. Our very large raft was shipped this way, and we went and picked-it up at the freight company shipping center (Many are out towards Brighton in the industrial area that is near the Suncor refinery just northeast of Denver. What might be tricky for you is a way to get it home - need something like a truck or trailer so they can put the pallet right in the back. BTW The top looks sweet.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "If you can find out which freight company the retailer will be using, there is a good chance they will have a distribution center in the greater metro area. Our very large raft was shipped this way, and we went and picked-it up at the freight company shipping center (Many are out towards Brighton in the industrial area that is near the Suncor refinery just northeast of Denver. What might be tricky for you is a way to get it home - need something like a truck or trailer so they can put the pallet right in the back. BTW The top looks sweet."

Yes, this was recommended as an option as well. This might be the best choice, but I'll have to get a trailer or pickup truck that can fit the pallet plus some help to lift it at both ends. Maybe I can get a forum volunteer to help with that. Trailer rental is always a little bit of a problem for me, because Uhaul refuses to rent if you tow with a soft top and my Outback only can tow 2700 lbs, which ends up limiting me to some of the smallest Uhaul trailers (their trailers are very heavy). Definitely a solvable problem, and maybe better than doing freight to a shop.

Likely I could use an extra set of hands to install the thing as well, as the top will be very large and unwieldy to nudge into place. I don't think the process is particularly hard, just hard to do alone.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

"I've been interested in this top for years. I think now is probably the time we commit to it. If we get this top, I'll have a factory soft top and frame that I no longer have a use for. *hint hint*"

LMK, I destroyed my OEM frame years ago and have a trail top that is on it's last legs, maybe the timing will work out... Having said that, Ihave a factory hard top that I put on every now and then but don't really like driving trails with it. It makes the Jeep top heavy in a noticable way, especially offcamber, and add a set of harddoors and it's a different jeep. You might want to keep your soft top just for the option, atleast at first.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

"Yes, this was recommended as an option as well. This might be the best choice, but I'll have to get a trailer or pickup truck that can fit the pallet plus some help to lift it at both ends. Maybe I can get a forum volunteer to help with that. Trailer rental is always a little bit of a problem for me, because Uhaul refuses to rent if you tow with a soft top and my Outback only can tow 2700 lbs, which ends up limiting me to some of the smallest Uhaul trailers (their trailers are very heavy). Definitely a solvable problem, and maybe better than doing freight to a shop.

Likely I could use an extra set of hands to install the thing as well, as the top will be very large and unwieldy to nudge into place. I don't think the process is particularly hard, just hard to do alone."

I used my engine hoist to get it out of my truck when I got home - but guessing the top wouldn't be as heavy and a few sets of hands would do it. Assuming timing doesn't conflict with anything important, I can volunteer my pick-up. Before I had my truck, we needed to get some oversized furniture (large couch), and ended up renting a pick-up truck from HD. I think Uhaul also rents pick-ups....

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "LMK, I destroyed my OEM frame years ago and have a trail top that is on it's last legs, maybe the timing will work out... Having said that, Ihave a factory hard top that I put on every now and then but don't really like driving trails with it. It makes the Jeep top heavy in a noticable way, especially offcamber, and add a set of harddoors and it's a different jeep. You might want to keep your soft top just for the option, atleast at first."

I think this top might be more challenging to remove / swap to soft top than the one piece factory hard top. I would hold on to the soft top immediately after install to make sure I like it. I also am concerned about the top-heavy feel, but I imagine I'll just have to accept that trade if I go with this top. It'll be too expensive to buy and not use.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

I'd consider the HD truck rental - don't they have stake side flatbed trucks? OR search craigslist or facebook for hauling services/people. One of my clients hauls stuff on a flatbed trailer. There are likely people in your area that do it too.

If you need extra hands - pipe up and we'll get it done.

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    1987 Jeep Comanche, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

If you have a hitch, you can rent a small utility trailer to pick it up from the depot. If you don't, I'm sure you can find someone you could talk into helping you out.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Yes, a trailer or a box truck / flatbed pickup rental seem like the best plans here.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

"I think this top might be more challenging to remove / swap to soft top than the one piece factory hard top. I would hold on to the soft top immediately after install to make sure I like it. I also am concerned about the top-heavy feel, but I imagine I'll just have to accept that trade if I go with this top. It'll be too expensive to buy and not use."

I'm interested if you decide to sell it, but if you have the room to store your soft top you might want to consider keeping it just to have the option down the road. I've used my hardtop for a few winters, it's nice, and I take it off for wheeling season and have a frameless softtop and a couple of other tops, soft doors and tube doors. It's cool to have options. I built a beam across my garage (truss roof, can't support weight) and put a hand winch on the wall with two pulleys to lift if off, made a simple cart to haul it around on and it's not too bad to take on and off. I roll it into my yard and tarp it, doesn't take up too much space. Anyway, it's your Jeep, I just think you might regret it down the road but am willing to be part of that regret too. That is the nicest hardtop I've seen, can't wait to see it in person.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I'll rent a trailer and pick it up at the freight depot in 4-6 weeks when it arrives. I imagine it's a pretty easy install with 3 people (8 ft long top piece will be a bit tricky to get in place). Now to wait on the manufacturing and freight for a while...