4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default The Full Send Adventure 7 - Gold Spike Spider

Shane was able to locate a warranty replacement axle from the vendor of the broken axle, but it was not to arrive until late afternoon. He decided to ride as a passenger for today's trails. We learned some valuable lessons about ourselves and our rigs today: 1) don't forget to pack water in the rig 2) three spotters is too many spotters 3) the trifecta is a really hard set of trails

We decided to "send it" today as big as we could. We decided to try to reach the Golden Crack, which basically requires running the trifecta of Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, and the Gold Bar Rim. So, that's what we did.

We began the day at the busy trail head for Poison Spider Mesa. Many Jeeps and OHVs were airing down at the start when we arrived and many, many more would follow before we finished the day. We made slow, steady progress up Poison Spider Mesa as it was clear from the first obstacle that this was a cut above the trails we had run already this week. We had no difficulty clearing the obstacles on Poison Spider, but we later learned we should have been running the trail with more urgency and haste than we started the day with.

At the junction with Golden Spike, we turned off of Poison Spider Mesa and continued on G.S. According to the sign posts at the junction, G.S. is an 8/10 and P.S. is a 7/10. Confident, we continued on, but we would learn that the difference between a 7 and an 8 can be substantial. G.S. wore us down with the constant barrage of ledges and obstacles, each one requiring some careful though and tire placement to minimize the number of rock hits our rigs took. None of us left this trail unscathed. To complicate matters, we discovered that neither Trent nor Ty remembered to pack the spare water we had filled at the house for the day, so we had to split Matt's spare gallon and a half between the 5 of us for this long day.

At Zuki Hill, I found myself completely stuck in a pothole full of water before the ledges. Several rigs before me had dropped carefully into the water and walked out the other side, but I managed to settle into a position with no traction and no lockers, unable to move. Matt pulled around on the bypass and I winched my Jeep out of the hole. This is the first obstacle I've ever had to winch over. Free of the water, I pulled the line back in and conquered Zuki Hill after a few attempts and some helpful spotting from Shane. Ty was able to get out of the water hole on his own power easily and also cleared the ledges with minimal effort. At this point we were pretty tired from the constant obstacles, but more awaited.

As we approached the Golden Crack, our progress slowed to nearly zero. A series of very large, close-spaced ledges sapped our energy as we constantly had to exit the vehicles and spot one another down. Often the best line was not the line that we could clear cleanly, but rather the line that offered no chance of body damage and minimal undercarriage hits. As we reached the Golden Crack, we realized we needed to pick up the pace substantially to clear the trail before sunset. It had taken us several hours to travel the ~2.3 miles from P.S. to the crack, with another mile of G.S to go and the entirety of Gold Bar Rim ahead as well. We took the requisite photos at the crack, then began looking for every bypass and easy line possible to speed our progress.

Before reaching Gold Bar Rim, we encountered a difficult ledge obstacle with options to go right (bigger ledge, lots of space) or left (smaller ledge, but rocks on each side). I attempted the left line first, but my rear tires hung on the rock and my rig slid sideways towards the large boulders uncomfortably. I backed off, reoriented, and tried again to the same result. After two attempts and nearly crunching my body tub into the rock, I backed off the line entirely and tried to climb the bigger ledge instead. At this point, Matt decided to attempt the smaller (narrow) ledge in his Ram. He tried a similar line to me with the same results, but his truck slid all the way into the rock. His ram currently sports a nice scar above the rear passenger tire where his rig and the rock met. After this failure, Shane was able to spot Matt up a different line successfully without further damage. Ty and I cleared the big ledge on the right and we continued on.

I have little to say about Gold Bar Rim, as we rushed through this to reach the trail exit with fading sunlight. I'd like to run G.B.R. again sometime at a slower pace. This was an enjoyable trail with some good views, but we did not stop long to take it in. The infamous waterfall on G.B.R. was no problem for our rigs, despite the warning signs near the obstacle.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Java (September 28th, 2020),Tom (September 28th, 2020),TyTheJeepGuy (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default Re: The Full Send Adventure 7 - Gold Spike Spider

4. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

cnstaco (October 5th, 2020),JandDGreens (September 27th, 2020),Java (September 28th, 2020),TyTheJeepGuy (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

This was a tough day, but for me it was my favorite and most memorable even though I wasn't able to bring my rig (which I think really would have struggled to get through the trail). Besides Ty and Trent forgetting water, I did as well, as even though I was riding with others, I still should have brought my own water instead of depending on them. Matt really saved us all from a bad situation there with what water he had. These were the biggest baddest obstacles I have ever seen or been on, and this is the day that for me made the trip feel like a real adventure. With my rig down, everyone was nice enough to let me take turns in theirs, and Trent even let me drive his Jeep for a bit which was pretty awesome as this trip has been the first time I have driven, or even ridden in a jeep off road and it was as fun as I had hoped it would be. I ended up spending most of the time in Matt's Ram though which is one impressive beast. Obstacle after obstacle I couldn't believe what he was making that thing do. Initially I felt most useful riding with Matt as well as the Ram is so big that he could use extra spotting compared to Ty and Trent but I noticed that about 3/4 of the way through the trail Matt started to get a really good sense of the size of the Ram and for the last bit I just sat and enjoyed the ride and stopped spotting which just left me more time to enjoy the scenery and take pictures.

It was a bit of a stressful day with the water situation but again ended up a good learning opportunity as I'm pretty new to spotting for others and my takeaway was when multiple people have different opinions on the best line, we should take a minute to discuss and make a plan of action rather than risk overwhelming the driver. This trail is no joke though, and I'm not sure if I would ever take my Rover on it after watching the difficulty and outright contact required for the rest of the group to make it through, time was tight enough as it was and if I had driven it I think it just would have taken that much longer to get off of the trail. I had actually planned to rent a Jeep in the morning so I could drive as well but it turns out that all of the rental companies that let you rent Rubicons with 4" and 6" lifts have specifically disallowed you from taking them on Golden Spike, and after being on it I can see why!

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "Ty was able to get out of the water hole on his own power easily and also cleared the ledges with minimal effort"

Thanks for the great write-up but I just have one correction to make based on the quote above: The ledges felt like maximum effort! The ol "gas it up while holding the brake" trick was required to overcome the turbo-lag and get me near 3k engine rpm where my 2.0L reaches max torque output.

As for the tub, the water was absolute zero visibility so I'm guessing here but based on photos and videos of your Jeep vs mine going through, I think I went slightly to the right and my theory is that in that murky water I lucked out and had my drivers-side tires landing on some cheater rocks underwater.

Trent's LJ is done with its bath and winches out (nice articulation on display as well):
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zee7CSYrY3GgK3fP6

Trent conquers Zuki hill:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/DyUX1kDvmc7bM1PYA

Bob the Bluebicon takes a half bath (I was nervous I would have smelly floor carpet since I was doorless):
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/VVcSeUrrMsoEPd8K7

Bob gets a face-lift courtesy of Zuki hill:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/qebdGE5pmR3ypUiN7

Interesting plaques after the hill (Zuki hill is out of focus in the background):

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

cnstaco (October 5th, 2020)

Last Online
    March 7th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

LOOOOONG day, with some stressful moments and a little worry wether we would get out before dark...... beat my truck up a little more than I wanted on the last few miles of this tough trail. Nothing noticeable except a little dent on my passenger rear panel (above rear wheel). I touched up the paint but will probably get the dent fixed at some point..... it's not very noticeable and maybe I'll keep it as a reminder of this amazing trail. I bent up my drivers side pinch welds under the rocker panel but luckily the rockers were untouched. I was able to vice grip and rubber mallet these back to their normal spot and paint so it's hardly noticeable. A couple dents in my front and rear bumpers topped it off..... also not noticeable unless you are looking from underneath. I still can't believe we did this trail but I'm so glad we did at this point, since we all came out of it without any issues (other than being thirsty).

9. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

open_circuit (September 28th, 2020),speedkills (September 28th, 2020),TyTheJeepGuy (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

So happy to hear you were able to straighten out those pinch welds. I'm was there and I'm still a bit in disbelief that you made it through golden spike without rock sliders with rockers intact.

Last Online
    March 7th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Could not have done it without your help, Shane! I'm actually amazed that a little dent is all I really have to show for that route..... What a blast!