4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default The Full Send Adventure 4 - Beef Basin to Devil's Kitchen

Today was expected to be a relatively short trail day, with approximately 20 miles between our campsites. We had reserved two sites at Devil's Kitchen in Needles District, so we had no concern about having to locate a dispersed campsite this evening. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and attended to some personal hygiene and housekeeping issues while Matt hiked for a while before breaking camp. Around 10 am we packed up and began north through Beef Basin towards the park.

The first test of the day was Bobby's Hole, a very rocky descent into a canyon. We spent some time here carefully picking our way down the obstacles without incident. A short drive later, we reached the south boundary gate for the park where we found a "congratulations" mylar balloon in the brush. We took this is a welcome, but also collected the stray balloon with our trash before entering the park.

We continued along the moderate road towards the Joint Trail. Here we encountered several other Jeeps parked haphazardly -- a crew from California who had arrived earlier and had some mechanical issues with the built LJ in their party. We ate some lunch, then hiked the Joint Trail and explored the slot canyons and enjoyed the shade of the rocks for a bit. After the hike we headed over S.O.B. hill to Devil's Kitchen. This obstacle has been on Matt's mind for days, but his preparation paid off as he easily navigated the obstacle in his Power Wagon by pulling forward past the narrow passageway and backing through it. Shane attempted to pass through this section in forward, but nearly ripped his front passenger tire off when it became wedged against a rock as he tried to reverse to re-position his rig. Fortunately we stopped him in time and no apparent lasting damage was found.

We continued very quickly to Devil's Kitchen from here. Our campsite was #4 and is the most remarkable place I've camped. The campsite is surrounded by towering rocks on all sides, with a clear view of the sky above. The rocks block nearly all breezes and the sand floor absorb most sound, producing an eerily quiet and still alcove. Vehicles are not allowed in the site, but it is a very short hike into the camp area. I had packed a tent as a backup plan in the event that my Jeep platform did not work as intended, so we decided to pitch the tent and sleep within this sanctuary. With no rain fly, we would be able to observe the stars above through the mesh tent roof from within this remarkable place.

After dinner we sat around the table talking as darkness fell. Moths and other small flying bugs began to appear, attracted to the light of our table. Soon after we noticed some larger things flying very low overhead before one of them swooped between us and snatched a moth from just above the table -- a bat! For the next hour we watched as several individual bats circled overhead and feasted on the bugs we were attracting. The bats were only a foot or two above our heads at times, and frequently swooped even lower to catch the bugs. After tiring of watching the bats (and tired from a long day on the trail), we slept.

2. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Java (September 28th, 2020),Jim (September 25th, 2020),RockyMtRebel (September 27th, 2020),Tom (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default Re: The Full Send Adventure 4 - Beef Basin to Devil's Kitchen

4. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Java (September 28th, 2020),Tom (September 27th, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

SOB Hill

6. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Java (September 28th, 2020),Tom (September 27th, 2020)

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

This was an amazing day! The rocky descent into Bobby’s Hole was fun and beautiful! Lots of loose boulders and a taste of what’s to come. The road from the Canyonlands boundary north is called Devils lane and was beautiful and a blast to drive. I have some footage from my GoPro that I’ll post up once I manage to download it. The Joint trail was fun and our campsite was AMAZING! The bats topped off one of the best days I can think of.

Heres is moving thru Beef basin a mile after leaving camp

Heading down Bobby’s Hole, a steep rocky descent right before reaching the border of Canyonlands.

8. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Java (September 28th, 2020),open_circuit (September 27th, 2020),Tom (September 27th, 2020)

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Ty on SOB Hill

View from camp

10. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Java (September 28th, 2020),open_circuit (September 28th, 2020),Tom (September 27th, 2020),TyTheJeepGuy (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

This was my favorite night of the trip, everyone in one place, combined with the coolest camp site I have ever seen, plus the satisfaction of watching those bats eat the moths that have been invading my home for the past few months. S.O.B hill lived up to it's name, and was another learning opportunity for me as I couldn't quite understand why I was struggling through it only to learn later when watching video of it that I was close to 2' away from the line I had chosen. Will definitely be practicing wheel placement a bit more after seeing that as I had thought I had gotten fairly accurate with my wheel placement but not on that day. Watching Matt back through the obstacle was super fun as I was able to climb up on a rock above him and see how close of a fit it all was at once. That and watching Ty just crush it there, perfect wheel placement and line choice, he definitely made it look easy.

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

TyTheJeepGuy (September 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I stayed in the same campsite a couple of years ago and I've never been able to describe it correctly, it's just something you have to experience. It changed my wheeling life from trail runs to overland trips, and it's my all time favorite campsite and favorite outhouse too. Chesler Park in the sunset is like nothing I've ever seen before or since. We went back for a hiking vacation starting from the hiking trailhead next to the Elephant Hill 4x4 trailhead and it's the best hiking trip I've ever taken, my wife and I still talk about it all the time. That area is magic.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr \ 1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

speedkills previously posted:
    "That and watching Ty just crush it there, perfect wheel placement and line choice, he definitely made it look easy"

Ty did not choose a line if I remember correctly. I just told Trent ok I'm gonna turn here and he walked me through the actual obstacle.

As for Devil's Kitchen #4, awesome campsite I can't deny. But a warning to those wanting to put their tent up against one of the walls: be on the lookout for massive hobo spiders, of which there were 2 with a leg span of like 3.5" on my tent while packing it up the morning after.

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Asking Trent to spot for you pretty much is making the perfect line choice

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to speedkills For This Post: