4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

Default Trails, camping near St. Elmo

I wanted to share about my experience in the St. Elmo area the past couple days and a couple weekends ago. First off since Beunna Vista is only a couple hour drive from my home, it has become a favorite area to explore. Mark and I have worked a lot on his brothers 98 Xj. He bought a 3.5 inch OME kit. We installed it at the first of the year (March-April) with needing some tweaks due to how some of the parts supplied fitted we had to add adjustable shackle brackets and a couple other things.

Well for the shake down/birthday run we decided to take our XJ's and run Tin-Cup pass. It was Joe's first ever trail run. (And his birthday to boot) weather could not have been better. The east side of the trail was rocky and pretty much uneventful as any one who has run it would know. Got to the summit for lunch and some poser shoots to commemorate out trip. (I will need to really on Mark for pictures and videos as I did not take any photos SORRY) on the west side is where the fun begins, I was very impressed with how much fun it was for everyone.

After running Tincup Mark and Joe aired up for the drive back home ran via Cottonwood pass/Buenna vista 285. While Greg and I went back to Mnt. Antero trail to find a campsite for the next couple evenings. We went ahead and camped just short of the shelf road up to the top. It is very interesting to camp in the area. As there are a lot of prospectors who are kind of intense about thier claims. I say this because the first morning we took my jeep to explore the trail, leaving his behind (due to some issues with his rig) I think they were concerned with someone mining illegally on thier clams. Cause the of the prospectors park right by our camp and hiked up to have a talk. (Kind of feeling us out). Anyways enough on that!

I really love this area, (I camped up here with my daughter 10 days earlier as we wanted to hike the 14-er) both trips were such a wonderful experience. I think the shelf roads were crazy cool! And on the other side is such a beautiful valley to drive through. Spending time with my daughter for two days (her Father's Day gift) and hanging out with Greg for a couple nights was great too!

I bet you're wondering did we summit? Well as we hiked from just above Browns lake all the way to with in 500 feet the weather became iffy and I was exhausted and intimidated by the ridge we would have had to navigate and the long hike back down, we choose not to try it. Maybe when I am in better shape?

Gosh I'm rambling on but what can I say, except (best time ever!) In the mits of so much adversity in our lifes.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to JandDGreens For This Post:

Getaklu (August 15th, 2020),Java (August 16th, 2020)

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Default Re: Trails, camping near St. Elmo

Lots of other amazing trails in that area as well.

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

JandDGreens (August 15th, 2020)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Trails, camping near St. Elmo

Yup, I bet I haven't even scratched the surface, Hancock, Baldwin lake/boulder mountain to name a couple, Chinamans, 4-mile are just a few I know of that I have yet to do? Maybe I'll have to go up last time with my mountain bike and play at 4-mile for an (overnighter/weekday) before I get back to work?????