4x4
    11 Rubicon Unlimited, 95 YJ, 86 CJ7, 87 Dodge W250
    User Name
    ColoJeeper
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 1977 J10 Honcho "Magnum"

When I put the collector plates on my Dodge truck, I signed a paper saying that I wouldn't drive it more than 4000 miles a year. The plates are 5 year renewable, but still fall under the emission testing every two years.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

ColoJeeper previously posted:
    "but still fall under the emission testing every two years."

??? Really ??? That's my only interest in moving to collector plates - to not have to do the frequent emissions hassle. I was thinking that if a plate only needed to renew every 5 then emissions would be only every 5. If you don't do emissions on year 2, what do they do to make you get emissions?

EDIT: Do you get a 5 year plate sticker or do they send stickers every year (thus not send the next sticker unless emissions is tended)?

Last Online
    April 5th, 2022
    4x4
    11 Rubicon Unlimited, 95 YJ, 86 CJ7, 87 Dodge W250
    User Name
    ColoJeeper
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

I may be wrong about the emission part of this, as I can't find anything in writing to support this, though I am sure it is what they told me in the office when I picked up the plates. They give you a 5 year sticker to put on the plates. Guess I will find out fairly soon if they send me something inquiring about a emission test as I am about two years into having collector plates on this truck.

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to ColoJeeper For This Post:

Jim (August 12th, 2020)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

For my 1970 (which falls in the all inclusive 1975 or earlier vehicles), the plate comes with a sticker for 5 years, no emissions needed. When renewed after 5 years, its another 5 year sticker, no emission necessary. The 1958 that I did last year also was one time registration without emission for 5 years. I think it gets a bit more complicated when you get into some of the later 70 and early 80 vehicles that got registered with collector plates at some point before changes were made to the law....This is where the 'grandfathered' in type rules come into play as long as the vehicle stays with same owner, and/or emissions testing etc....

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (August 12th, 2020)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr \ 1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

The two years that I was referencing was under one of the potential "loopholes" that I was going to shoot for to get it registered. For the normal case it is 5 years between emissions.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

I had started talking with my manager (Kevin, he came along for Kelly Flats so some of you may know him) about the Honcho, and he told me his friend is great at making his own bumpers. I got to check out some of his friend Lee's work and I was really impressed. So given that I am not a fan of the snowplow "bumper," I decided to ask him to make me a custom one.

He is also going to take the work I did with the rear bumper and finish it out correctly, by replace rusted out sections with new steel plate, and attempting to get the bend out of it. So I can keep that cool original looking rear bumper.

Check out his work in these photos:

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

That looks awesome, simple and functional. Nice lines on it too.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

TyTheJeepGuy (September 2nd, 2020)

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    1987 Jeep Comanche, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

I may want to talk to your guy about building a custom bumper for my Comanche. Something similar in the lines is what I'd like, along with a Warn 8274 winch mount, which is way different than standard winch mounts.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Well his work is good and I think he likes doing it. I'll run it by him. Also on his JK he has some really cool rock sliders for his differentials. Has me thinking for my Wrangler

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Update for the Honcho Magnum:

After resolving myself to having to pass emissions I started collecting a bunch of parts to recreate the systems that were taken off. I found that the Haynes manual really wasn't helpful for me, of course they're assuming that 100% of the system is sitting right there and you just have to swap out one piece. Recreating it from scratch is a whole other deal. I found the diagrams from the Technical Service Manual specific for the ol Honcho's year was the best resource, those are on oljeep.com.

I'm starting with probably the hardest, which is the AIR Guard system. Here is a diagram from the TSM:

Team Grand Wagoneer is a website that I found to be basically the only place to get the components for this in good shape, short of hunting around junkyards. I have nothing against the junkyards I just would rather be sure of what I'm getting than make a trip out and have it be a bust.

I had a lot of the components ordered months ago and sitting in my garage, but I got distracted by first building a snowbike, then selling it when it wasn't for me and buying a snowmobile, then smacking the front of said snowmobile into a tree and having to replace its bumper.

My brother visited and we gave the J10 a couple of shake down runs to get lumber for a gate project and it did great, so with some confidence I even drove it to Conifer and back to help Andy out a little bit with his Jeep build. So I decided it was about time I pulled mine into my garage for some work. I found that I was lacking a lot, so I'm still waiting on more orders to come in from Team Grand Wagoneer, and even some from Ebay. I feel a lot better about understanding the system now though so I think with the right parts, I should be able to hook it all up. The hardest part I believe will be mounting the air pump and getting a belt to it, since there is an aftermarket distributor that is huge and I think a custom bracket for the PS pump, which is what the bracket for the Air pump is attached to. I might need to see if I can get someplace to fab a solution for me if it doesn't work out, fingers crossed.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

I have a rare bit of good news concerning getting the unfun emissions "build" completed, it may have just turned fun!

I finally collected all of the (very expensive) components as I mentioned before for getting the "AIR Guard" system installed, went to try and mount the air pump and immediately broke the head off of a brand new bolt, right behind the power steering pump pulley so that extraction would be a big pain. I had seen a few smog/air pumps while searching for mine that were electric instead of belt-driven, and decided to call a Colorado emissions tech to confirm that would pass before investing in that route. Here's where the good news comes in, the tech shot down the electric pump idea, but then suggested that there is a special EFI system that would both give me the obvious benefits of EFI and no need for that complex Air Guard system! An EFI system was desirable but I held off on trying to go for something like that since it wouldn't be worth much to me if I couldn't get the thing re-registered.

I set up an appointment with the tech for Friday morning to get a more thorough overview of everything I'll need to pass emissions and finally get this truck not feeling like a pipe dream. This is awesome because up to this point I feel like I've just been stumbling along without much hope for getting it to pass.

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

speedkills (April 13th, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Well it couldn't all be good news of course, but I'll take "bad" information over non-information. Emissions tech today told me that the intake manifold that my Dad had installed on the engine was not EGR-compliant, which is an emissions system I will still need to have setup. What is currently on there is an Edelbrock Performer series but non-EGR. They make an EGR version and everyone is out of stock, I suppose because of Covid. I have one on backorder but might not be til July, and I can't install the EFI conversion until the new intake is on.

But at least now I have my heading and a resource in the form of that emissions tech so I'm still ahead of where I was on getting this truck back to life.

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

Jim (April 16th, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

I had the EFI kit come in but the pandemic has apparently stopped up production of intake manifolds for AMC V8s that are EGR-compliant. What I currently have on the ol Honcho Magnum is an Edelbrock Performer series, non-EGR. I have the same thing but with EGR backordered that should hopefully ship from the manufacturer by the end of this month.

In the meantime, there's a good deal of work that can be done short of actually installing the new throttle body to a new EGR-compliant intake manifold. I called Andy up (here's his WK build thread: https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...8259-Andy-s-WK) for some help and we spent a good portion of a Sunday getting this project under way. I think we both were excited at the thought of firing up this big engine eventually with electronic fuel injection!

By the end of the day, we had removed the carb from the intake manifold, removed the old main fuel line (and a vestigial line leftover from when the auxiliary fuel tank was in use), and located a new (included with the EFI kit!) fuel hose. We were about to mount the new fuel pump to the frame but either the kit didn't come with a nut and bolt for that or I lost it somehow, and I didn't have anything quite that size in the garage. The good news is the hole in the frame and bracket are ready to go once I make a quick stop at an Ace hardware.

Andy removed the manual fuel pump and installed the provided block plate and gasket. He also removed the AIR system air injection piping from the exhaust manifolds. Where we're going we have no need for such things.

There's a lot more to go but I'm glad Andy was there for the first day to have another brain to bounce things off of before tearing into the old truck.

Here's the emissions-compliant EFI kit I'm installing. So far I am very impressed with how this was put together and the instructions are great:
    https://howellefi.com/product/tbi-ki...issions-legal/

And links to the installation instructions to get an idea of what the project entails:
    https://howellefi.com/wp-content/upl...-1972-1993.pdf

I think the next thing I'll do after mounting the fuel pump is cutting a hole in the exhaust to mount the provided O2 sensor. The kit comes with a bung to weld in but I bought a clamp-on bung instead.

19. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

FINOCJ (May 19th, 2021),speedkills (May 20th, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

TBI - Nice! If I ever get the sbc350 running in the 58 and decide to keep it, it may very well go TBI. Dealing with the fuel pump and higher pressure fuel lines is one the biggest hassles I think - looks like you are probably going with a frame mounted electric pump back near the tank? How are you handling the fuel line? hard line or braided line with AN fittings?
    Would love to know more about removing/plugging? the air injection system on the exhaust manifolds - good luck!

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

You will enjoy the EFI setup!

Has anyone mentioned external fuel pump heat / overheating? Perhaps it's not a thing - I only have one comment saying it is an issue... My MPFI conversion uses an inside the tank pump (and I can help if you wish to relocate to in-tank). The guy (Parker Co area) that James found for the my rear steel trunk had a jeep with a V8 conversion with an external, frame mounted fuel pump. He commented on having overheat issues (vapor lock?).

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Thanks James.

Obviously I don't have this system up and running yet to truly confirm, but according to Howell the fuel pressure is indeed higher than what the manual pump setup was creating but it is still pretty mild. A quote from the installation instructions:
    "Since the TBI system operates on only 12PSI fuel pressure, it is not necessary to have high-pressure hose, or aircraft type threaded connections."
    The hose they supplied is 5/16" fuel hose and worm gear clamps. When I was researching Holley EFI kits I was also concerned about the new fuel lines that would be needed; this kit seems to have simplified that quite a bit. The fuel pump is only 13 bucks from Howell which is awesome. I like that this kit is pretty much an EFI system designed for a GM truck that they just adapted for Jeeps with AMC V8s. Most of the components, including the ECU, have listed part numbers and are still available. There's also a "limp home mode" that sounds reassuring.

The air injection manifold holes are plugged with 9/16-18 bolts, the instructions helpfully included this info in their "Removal of non-required parts" section. This part was easy for me, because the air injection pipes are brand new and installed by me. I ordered the crazy expensive bolts with air injection holes in them but never installed them, I just had mocked up the air injection pipes to the manifolds using the bolts that were already blocking those ports. I'll have a pretty sizeable Craigslist ad after this is all over.

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

FINOCJ (May 19th, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Thanks Jim, more than just not having to maintain a 70s era emissions system, there'll be more average power and more importantly, I'll be able to enjoy this both around town and at 10,000 ft for some stellar camping trips!

I have not heard of the overheating, but I am doing exactly that: frame-mounted external pump. So maybe I should just order a spare 13 dollar pump and keep it in the recovery bag, and then if I have a problem with overheating I could start looking into that relocation. At that point I will definitely be looking for some help with the in-tank solution.

25. The Following Member Says Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

FINOCJ (May 19th, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Attached is a photo of the now-unnecessary brand-new air injection pipes. On the top was a one-way valve (not pictured, which I also have and won't need ) that would keep the exhaust air from getting into the AIR Guard system. (smog air pump system)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

TyTheJeepGuy previously posted:
    ""Since the TBI system operates on only 12PSI fuel pressure, it is not necessary to have high-pressure hose, or aircraft type threaded connections.""

Sweet! I learned my lesson on buying fuel injection rated fuel line (the hard way).

With your system being lower pressure than typical FI, the overheat issue the other guy mentioned will perhaps not be any concern. A bonus in having the pump being low cost too.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "With your system being lower pressure than typical FI, the overheat issue the other guy mentioned will perhaps not be any concern. A bonus in having the pump being low cost too."

I believe the system Ty is installling is traditional GM Throttle Body Injection (TBI - and tuned for the AMC engine) and requires quite a bit lower fuel pressure lines than multi-port fuel injection. And as you mention, I don't think overheating is as much of an issue...MPFI fuel pumps are more like 40 psi (maybe) and they often need to be submerged in the fuel tank to keep them cool. And yet it seems one of the most common failure points on older vehicles is the fuel pump - be it OEM mechanical style or aftermarket electric - definitely carry a spare! I carry a spare mechanical and a back-up electric as well for my old junk.

TBI is more carb like than modern MPFI systems in that the fuel-air mix is still occuring at in the throttle body and as it goes into the intake and then down the different intake runners or pathways to the different cylinder intake valves (MPFI injects the fuel further downstream and closer to the intake valve for each cylinder - thus there are multi-ports for injections - one for each cylinder) - the throttle body is sort of a 'fancy' carb that sits on the intake in place of the carb. In short, the main difference is it can more accurately control fuel air mix (has a computer monitoring system that takes input from all the standard things like tach signal, throttle position, MAP etc and the O2 sensor in the exhaust.) The fuel is also more atomoized as its injected instead of just droplets going through the carb pathways and mixing in the venturri air swirl - and the pressurized fuel injection is also unaffected by off camber issues that can plague some carbs that are mostly gravity and vacuum fed from the fuel bowl. GM started doing this in the 80s with great success, but Jeep never went the TBI route - they ran carb up until the early 90s on most things and then went straight to MPFI. I think most aftermarket kits (Howell/Holley/EZEFI/FiTech etc) are all basically GM parts with slightly different computer tuning or proprietary self-learning software that modifies the tune). I've spent WAY too much time looking into TBI for the cj5 - and its the inconsistent tach signal of the odd-fire v6 that is the hiccup as well as my dual tank set-up with switching valve doesn't lend itself to electric pusher pumps all that well.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast