Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Exclamation Advice? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Okay you guys, if you read my "for your amusement" post a while back you know I got my 4Runner stuck, blew the radiator and all hell broke loose costing me dearly to repair. Enough of that but on a related note I'm wanting a 4x4 even though there's not much need for one in flat, flat, flat Florida. I still manage to find places I shouldn't take a 2wd.

As a life-long Toyota guy I'm really put off by the prices these days even though I feel they're worth the money especially in Colorado. But I'm not in Colorado and nearing 70 years old so my level of activity has declined significantly. What I'm looking for is info on Jeeps which I'm considering moving to for my needs these days. What should I know specifically? Weaknesses of specific models? Mileage considerations? Anything that could help me make a decision I won't regret. I'm not looking for a Rubicon, maybe a Wrangler or maybe a SUV type whatever models they offer now. Just want low gear and reliability with the ability to do some mild wheeling and keep myself out of trouble. Maybe something you'd consider a a commuter car with good 4wd capability. Not looking to buy new but unsure how far back I should consider either.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Re: Advice? Suggestions? Recommendations?

I think a couple rough filter questions could be 1) Do you want topless capability and 2) Do you want air conditioning?

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Jim, isn't topless == air conditioning?

Also, he lives in Florida now, I think air conditioning is a firm requirement. It seems like a Grand Cherokee would be ideal, and roughly equivalent to a 4Runner. However, the prices of GC are comparable to 4Runner prices, so I'm probably missing the mark here.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

As a former FL resident I had a 4cyl soft top wrangler....my thoughts are that 4cyl will get you where you need in FL without issues, but the soft top was not as great as no AC unless top was down, and really, in hot humid FL not sure that counts as much unless cruising at speed. Plus the consistent afternoon rain storms were an issue. I drove my YJ and my CJ7 as DDs for quite a lot of years (in FL, CO and TX) - both with soft or no top - and I think I am past the stage of a DD with soft top (I like having my cj5 now with no top all summer - and it stays in the garage if the weather isn't ideal, or if I am wheeling, I don't really care if it rains/snows - and its Colo).

If not looking for too much luxury (and thus keeping the price down), and simple 4cyl jeep wrangler TJ (did they make JKs with 4cyl?) with hard top and AC will go a long ways in FL. Even with either the 3.8 or 3.6 v6, I think there is probably some value to found in 2door JKs as most wanted the 4dr, and now that the JL is out, I bet you can get a solid 2dr JK for a good price. And I think the small, shorter 2dr is more fun to drive assuming you don't have a need for the 4dr or extra space. For something a bit more small SUV - when my wife (and I) were looking to replace here AWD hatchback this past fall, I thought the (newer) Jeep Compass was a pretty neat option (new one looks like a shrunk down GC - the old one was quite possibly the ugliest jeep ever made).

She ended up going a bit smaller with another AWD hatchback (Honda HRV), but my vote was probably the Compass (although I am definitely not sold on FCA products over the last 10 years - they do seem to have worked out a lot of the bugs, especially in the 8speed auto found in the Compass and Cherokee). The slightly larger Cherokee is also an option - a bit bigger still and somewhere between a grand Cherokee and Compass. Probably closer to a replacement for your 4runner than the other options...my next door neighbor here has the trailhawk edition - its pretty nice, but all the onboard nav and electronic control system is a bit too much for me, and the price was too much for us to seriously consider. Good news in FL, I think that comes in 4cyl option that would be fine and cheaper. One last option (also considered by my wife), is a Suby Cross-trek. My friends in NE florida went from a Jeep GC to one (think the jeep went to their daughter actually) and use it along the beach and other typical sandy FL offroad spots - I think they even used it to pull someone out of the beach sand. My wife really didn't like the interior and around here they go for a premium - but not sure if FL has the suby culture we have in Colo.

Last Online
    19 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

lmao Re: Advice? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Theres a guy just up from me has been trying to sell a rig similar to what Rob used to wheel. I bet you
    could get it for a very reasonable.

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

FJ40 or FJCruiser?

Didn't Rob have one of each?

Last Online
    19 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "FJ40 or FJCruiser?

Didn't Rob have one of each?"

I am not a Toyota 4x4 guru. Went up and took a picture.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Fj40...the classic....

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Tom (May 1st, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

That smart car in the background would probably work fine in Florida too.

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Florida WHITE - Chris's all set!

With a classic Warn winch too.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I think a couple rough filter questions could be 1) Do you want topless capability and 2) Do you want air conditioning?"

Both would be good but if I had to choose I'd go with a/c, gets kinda hot down here in the summer.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Fj40...the classic...."

Lots of FJ40's here, pristine $40k that have never seen anything other than pavement.

Even a beautiful FJ45 but I'm afraid to even ask about that one.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "That smart car in the background would probably work fine in Florida too."

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

"As a former FL resident I had a 4cyl soft top wrangler....my thoughts are that 4cyl will get you where you need in FL without issues, but the soft top was not as great as no AC unless top was down, and really, in hot humid FL not sure that counts as much unless cruising at speed. Plus the consistent afternoon rain storms were an issue. I drove my YJ and my CJ7 as DDs for quite a lot of years (in FL, CO and TX) - both with soft or no top - and I think I am past the stage of a DD with soft top (I like having my cj5 now with no top all summer - and it stays in the garage if the weather isn't ideal, or if I am wheeling, I don't really care if it rains/snows - and its Colo).

If not looking for too much luxury (and thus keeping the price down), and simple 4cyl jeep wrangler TJ (did they make JKs with 4cyl?) with hard top and AC will go a long ways in FL. Even with either the 3.8 or 3.6 v6, I think there is probably some value to found in 2door JKs as most wanted the 4dr, and now that the JL is out, I bet you can get a solid 2dr JK for a good price. And I think the small, shorter 2dr is more fun to drive assuming you don't have a need for the 4dr or extra space. For something a bit more small SUV - when my wife (and I) were looking to replace here AWD hatchback this past fall, I thought the (newer) Jeep Compass was a pretty neat option (new one looks like a shrunk down GC - the old one was quite possibly the ugliest jeep ever made).

She ended up going a bit smaller with another AWD hatchback (Honda HRV), but my vote was probably the Compass (although I am definitely not sold on FCA products over the last 10 years - they do seem to have worked out a lot of the bugs, especially in the 8speed auto found in the Compass and Cherokee). The slightly larger Cherokee is also an option - a bit bigger still and somewhere between a grand Cherokee and Compass. Probably closer to a replacement for your 4runner than the other options...my next door neighbor here has the trailhawk edition - its pretty nice, but all the onboard nav and electronic control system is a bit too much for me, and the price was too much for us to seriously consider. Good news in FL, I think that comes in 4cyl option that would be fine and cheaper. One last option (also considered by my wife), is a Suby Cross-trek. My friends in NE florida went from a Jeep GC to one (think the jeep went to their daughter actually) and use it along the beach and other typical sandy FL offroad spots - I think they even used it to pull someone out of the beach sand. My wife really didn't like the interior and around here they go for a premium - but not sure if FL has the suby culture we have in Colo."

Thanks James, you provided a lot of good info which is what I hoped someone could provide. It was a 2 door Wrangler that pulled me out when I was stuck and that alone got me thinking to that model. A wrangler TJ with hard top and AC sounds like what I should start with. I'm not really a fan of the Grand Cherokee, a friend has one and he wheeled it with me in Moab and BV but I guess I just don't care for the looks of it. Probably need to keep an open mind on that though but your point on the price may eliminate it. I'll have to look at a Compass, not at all familiar with them. Cross-trek is something I should look into though everyone seems to think they're seats are uncomfortable for long drives, I'll add it to my "maybe" list. They're nowhere near as popular here as they are there but I'll see what's available.

I'll refer back to this as I start my search in this market which is a bit odd, but that applies to quite a bit here. IIRC you lived in northern FL, right? Honestly I wasn't sure about living here but we're liking it and I guess the heat and humidity don't effect us as much as other people. It's been in the low 80's the last few days which, to us, is like those early spring Colorado days when it warms up to 50, throw open to windows and take it in.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Both would be good but if I had to choose I'd go with a/c, gets kinda hot down here in the summer."

The top stays on in summer, but comes OFF the rest of year! There's really only 3 or 4 months that you'd need AC. Go Wrangler!

Last Online
    19 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Chris,

My $.02. Stay away from the compass. I’ve a 2005 2wd version and its been a money pit. Started with a complete transaxle replacement at 50k miles to the tune of $6500. There was supposed to be a warranty but Jeep wouldn’t honor it.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I don't know if a 'new' compass is super reliable, but it is a completely different car these days. I think the redesign was 2017? I wouldn't buy one older than that at least.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:
    "My $.02. Stay away from the compass. I’ve a 2005 2wd version and its been a money pit. Started with a complete transaxle replacement at 50k miles to the tune of $6500. There was supposed to be a warranty but Jeep wouldn’t honor it."

"I don't know if a 'new' compass is super reliable, but it is a completely different car these days. I think the redesign was 2017? I wouldn't buy one older than that at least."

Noted, thanks James and Tom

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Jackie previously posted:
    "The top stays on in summer, but comes OFF the rest of year! There's really only 3 or 4 months that you'd need AC. Go Wrangler!"

Leaning heavily towards a Wrangler Jackie.

Wondering about acceptable mileage, my Toyotas have all gone well over 200k except the current one which has 180k. How do Jeep motors hold up over time? of course it all depends on maintenance but otherwise what guidelines should I consider?

How about this beauty at $27,500?

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "How about this beauty at $27,500?"

As I was taught - If you don't have anything good to say... So, I'll say, It hasn't ever seen mud or even sand.

Chris previously posted:
    "How do Jeep motors hold up over time?"

As for my jeep - 90 Wrangler (YJ classification), with the 4.2L/258CI motor that was converted to MPFI (multi-port fuel injection - it was carb'd before my time)...
    Purchased 6/2011 @ 153K
    05/2020 it's at 187K

The straight 6 motor 4.2 / 4.0 is a very popular motor with a long history.

I've never opened the block or had a need to remove the camshaft cover, timing chain cover, oil pan.

I love it's low end torque (great for the trails).

I wish it had more pull heading up the big hills of 70 west of Denver (which is why I've taken your advice and now just take 6).

Once or twice a year it will have a stuck lifter at cold start in the morning (just turn the engine off and re-start and most likely - no loud tick).

It has started to leak at, I believe, the rear main seal. I'll likely tend that fairly easy repair before long.

Mine does burn oil though I do not see "blue smoke" behind me.

Average MPG: 15

I just watched this "stroker rebuild" video, you might find some of the comments worthwhile:
    Big Power Jeep Straight Six Stroker Build on a Budget with Newcomer Racing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHrqhwojf0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast