Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: COVID: A little something to lighten your day.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,038 Times in 2,019 Posts

Default Re: COVID: A little something to lighten your day.

Curious that the purpose-modified plane might not stay in use as desired. Perhaps this is the company 'sabre rattling' to stir interest and keep contracts flowing?

After investing tens of millions into upgrading the Global SuperTanker and its technology, the revenue coming mostly from contracts with the U.S. government and California did not produce enough profit for the company to continue the funding the tanker, said Roger Miller, managing director at Alterna Capital Partners LLC, the investment company that owns the plane.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2022
    4x4
    JKU Rubi
    User Name
    Maverick1872
    Real Name
    Jonathon
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "From what I know, the vaccines do nothing to stop a vaccinated person from spreading covid. A vaccinated person can still get and transmit it to another. All the vaccines do is to "protect" a person who contracts covid.

Thus the swinging fist is just that - each person, if they wish to have defenses against any such attack - they need to take their own personal responsibility for their life as they see fit.

If my belief is wrong, kick me an authoritative source - I'm open to discussion."

I wanted to chime in here. Full disclosure; I am fully vaccinated. Additionally I am pro COVID-19 vaccination (surprising I know ), and as such these comments/opinions will come across in a way to attempt to convince others to also become vaccinated. I don't think any of my statements are political in nature (they are not intended to be) beyond the fact that this topic is widely politicized. I think the following sources are a worthwhile read either way, but I will be pulling snippets out of them to give a little weight to my own opinions. I highly suggest you read the sources yourself, or at least the relevant areas I reference, and formulate your own opinion.

"Preliminary data from Israel suggest that people vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine who develop COVID-19 have a four-fold lower viral load than unvaccinated people. This observation may indicate reduced transmissibility, as viral load has been identified as a key driver of transmission. - Source 1 Source 2"

As it currently stands this is initial data, and by no means to be taken as gospel. It does show very good indications though that one can expect transmission to be reduced just from having a lower concentration of the virus when infected. The less infection that your body is holding onto means less chance of transmission of the virus containing a large enough concentration to infect others.

"The latest analysis from the MoH proves that two weeks after the second vaccine dose protection is even stronger – vaccine effectiveness was at least 97% in preventing symptomatic disease, severe/critical disease and death. - Source"

Subsequently one also must factor in the significant reduction in symptomatic cases that the vaccines have shown to result in. Even if a vaccine were to not prevent one from contracting COVID-19, but it did prevent them from becoming symptomatic; that would have major impacts on the transmission of the virus alone. As we all know transmission of the virus is done by "respiratory droplets". These droplets are naturally produced and "spread" during behavior such talking and breathing; but significantly more so when one coughs or sneezes. Knowing this, it's easy to make the correlation that individuals that are not symptomatic are significantly less likely to spread the virus; therefore reducing transmission rates.

"Substantial reductions in SARS-CoV-2 infections (both symptomatic and asymptomatic) will have the positive benefit of helping to reduce overall levels of disease, and therefore, transmission in the United States. - Source"

I feel like the above is fairly self explanatory. It is notable that it is only applicable if a large enough portion of the population were to become vaccinated. If for instance, the majority do not become vaccinated then vaccines can only really be looked at as "protecting yourself". Whereas the more people that become vaccinated, the more the vaccine can be considered "protecting others".

All of this being said, I look forward to hearing what opinions y'all have on this.

- Jonathon

3. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Maverick1872 For This Post:

Jackie (May 14th, 2021),TDash (April 30th, 2021),Tom (April 30th, 2021)

Last Online
    March 7th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I'm still undecided...... both of my kids have gotten both shots and are fine. My brother got his second shot yesterday. I'm planning on getting it but just keep putting it off........ I think I'm more afraid of the social stigma of being "un-vaccinated" and that's not a good reason (peer-pressure) to get it. I think a LOT of people that say they are vaccinated, really aren't. It's a very interesting topic for sure

Last Online
    May 25th, 2022
    4x4
    JKU Rubi
    User Name
    Maverick1872
    Real Name
    Jonathon
    Thanks Given

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "I'm still undecided...... both of my kids have gotten both shots and are fine. My brother got his second shot yesterday. I'm planning on getting it but just keep putting it off........ I think I'm more afraid of the social stigma of being "un-vaccinated" and that's not a good reason (peer-pressure) to get it. I think a LOT of people that say they are vaccinated, really aren't. It's a very interesting topic for sure"

I think you will find that to be the case more and more now that the CDC has put out guidelines (incentives to get vaccinated) for those who are vaccinated. At the end of the day we can't do anything more than take people at their word. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "I think a LOT of people that say they are vaccinated, really aren't."

I find this very interesting because I had been reading the exact opposite about people who were afraid to admit they got the vaccines.. especially early on because they would be labeled line jumpers and that it could expose either lying about what made them eligible or would find it intrusive when having to justify their eligibility.

Do you think random every day people are lying about being vaccinated while at the same time the reports of how many vaccines have been given are being fabricated? According to the CDC 46.2% of CO have had at least one shot which is about 2.66M people, if these numbers are even remotely accurate I'm just wondering what makes you think "a LOT" of people are lying? Perhaps my anecdotal evidence is just that but in my mostly conservative County my wife has had multiple friends tell her that they had been vaccinated but not to tell anyone because they didn't want to hear any backlash from people in their Church-oriented social groups.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to TDash For This Post:

speedkills (April 30th, 2021)

Last Online
    March 7th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

TDash previously posted:
    "I find this very interesting because I had been reading the exact opposite about people who were afraid to admit they got the vaccines.. especially early on because they would be labeled line jumpers and that it could expose either lying about what made them eligible or would find it intrusive when having to justify their eligibility.

Do you think random every day people are lying about being vaccinated while at the same time the reports of how many vaccines have been given are being fabricated? According to the CDC 46.2% of CO have had at least one shot which is about 2.66M people, if these numbers are even remotely accurate I'm just wondering what makes you think "a LOT" of people are lying? Perhaps my anecdotal evidence is just that but in my mostly conservative County my wife has had multiple friends tell her that they had been vaccinated but not to tell anyone because they didn't want to hear any backlash from people in their Church-oriented social groups."

Hahaha, you have a great point Scott! It depends on your area & the demographics. Conservatives might be afraid to admit to vaccines, where Liberals might be afraid to admit not being vaccinated. My demographic is primarily liberal so that's why I might be afraid to admit I am not vaccinated (which is the case). But you are totally right! My mom is a big time "church lady" and she is super anti-vaccination and sends me conspiracy videos about how the vaccine is going to kill everyone... lol

9. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

TDash (April 30th, 2021),Tom (April 30th, 2021)

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

lol everyone is a bunch of liars!

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    1987 Jeep Comanche, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

We're still a bit short of 1/3 of Americans being fully vaccinated. But we have crossed the 100 million mark. At this point any short term problems with the vaccine should have shown up. But beyond a handful of blood clots, as well as a few instances of reactions in a very small percentage of the population that are similar to any vaccine, I'm not seeing much.

https://apnews.com/article/ny-state-...0cf2431d4da7b3

12. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to derf For This Post:

Maverick1872 (April 30th, 2021),Tom (April 30th, 2021)

Last Online
    July 11th, 2022
    4x4
    2007 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    4runner.Ric
    Real Name
    Ric
    Thanks Given

I refuse, to let them jab me.... When the manufacter and the people giving the shots have ZERO accountablilty, that right there, should be all you need to know.

Last Online
    July 11th, 2022
    4x4
    2007 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    4runner.Ric
    Real Name
    Ric
    Thanks Given

Let me say first, that I dont believe half of what I read online anymore but found this insteresting: https://nojabforme.info/

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

4runner.Ric previously posted:
    "I refuse, to let them jab me.... When the manufacter and the people giving the shots have ZERO accountablilty, that right there, should be all you need to know."

Just FYI,

Vaccine manufacturers have been greatly shielded from liability since around 1988 by federal law, and a government fund was set up to compensate those severely injured by a vaccine, which is rare (not easy to meet conditions and prove, though).

A different law since 2010 (PREP act) allows the HHS secretary to declare an emergency and almost completely shield the emergency manufacture of vaccines or other medical products to meet the emergency, such as Covid. If that hadn’t been done, we would be waiting many years for a vaccine to wind its way through the standard development and approval process.

Responding to emergencies requires at least a partial liability shield, and Good Samaritan laws are an example. In China they didn’t have a Good Samaritan law until 2017 so people usually didn’t come to the aid of accident victims because it was common to be sued and the courts frequently awarded damages. When I was there on business years ago my group was warned not to try to help anyone in need for this reason.

16. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to Bob For This Post:

derf (May 1st, 2021),Maverick1872 (May 1st, 2021),TDash (May 3rd, 2021),Tom (May 1st, 2021)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

I had a feeling that link was mostly bullshit, but then I stopped reading when it said 99.9% survival rate. If the logic is why take a vaccine if the survival rate is 99.9%, does that mean that if someone tells you the truth that it's <99% you would change your mind? No, of course not, facts are only used to convince others, not to alter our own beliefs.

Saying it has a 99.9% survival rate is an outright lie, check one of any respected sources and you will see it's well over 1% mortality rate. Or just choose the geocities webpage that says what you want to hear. But it's not just believing bullshit, by linking it here you spread it. I had intended to bow out of this thread but just wanted to jump in so nobody else is fooled by this, this is about the level of "we're going to be under martial law soon, I know because my neighbor is ex-military and can be relied on" rumor mongoring. Don't believe me, just do like the world's laziest google search, covid mortality rate if you want real numbers.

18. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

derf (May 1st, 2021),Maverick1872 (May 3rd, 2021),TDash (May 3rd, 2021),Tom (May 1st, 2021)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Or, even better, instead of getting medical advice from the someone you know who likes to drive trucks offroad, maybe ask your doctor as Scott advised. There is no way in hell your doctor will tell you it has a 99.9% survival rate.

20. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

derf (May 1st, 2021),Maverick1872 (May 3rd, 2021),Tom (May 1st, 2021)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

4runner.Ric, I want to believe you have no reason to try and make fellow members of your club less safe, so maybe you have just been hoodwinked by people who have managed to convince you that the mortality rate is .1% (which is a lie) and that the chance of dying from the vaccine is >.1% (also a lie) so by sharing this info you are making your fellow members safer.

If that's the case, consider your sources suspect, for anyone who tells you this is just like the flu think back to flu season every year, do you ever remember the crematoriums being so busy that people have literally gone medieval and started burning bodies in pyres to keep them from rotting?

This is not just like the flu.

Choose to take the vaccine or not, but why try to convince anyone this has a 99.9% survival rate? Do you think we are all blind? Are you? I don't understand how you could see so many dead and say yep, I read on a hokey website someone with one html class put up last week that it's pretty much like the flu. Has every government in the world started vaccinating people and shutting down because of something that is the same survival rate as the flu? Or is the same hidden hand of the secret world government that really controls all of their governments and their versions of the FDA telling them all to do the same thing? If you have some ability to read scientific papers yourself I would think you would have to know the link you sent is full of falsehoods. If you have no abilities in this regard, then I can't understand why you would add more noise to the room and try to sway others. What is the motivation in sharing that link, help me understand.

If one of our members falls ill or dies and was convinced by your link that they were safer without the vaccine, will you feel any responsibility or it is all on them as they should have known better than to trust you?

I apologize is I sound furious, frankly I am as I have friends here and in such a dangerous time someone is actively trying to cloud an issue where they have no expertise. Scott already said "ask your doctor", great advice, then you come in here and say "but first, read this", how could that possibly help?

22. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

derf (May 1st, 2021),Maverick1872 (May 3rd, 2021),RockyMtRebel (May 2nd, 2021)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

What if it is true that there is a 99% survival rate... What other activities with a 99% survival rating would you participate in? How about 98%? That's worse odds than Shirley Jackson's Lottery with a similar outcome, but you get to play a couple of times each day. Who would fly 99% Airlines, or drive a trail with a 99% survival rating? If I was in a room with 99 other people and a voice came over the loudspeaker saying that one of us was going to get shot dead, another one or so just wounded but would survive, I would leave that room.

24. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

speedkills (May 1st, 2021)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,038 Times in 2,019 Posts

For the data minded:

VAERS - the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System

Established in 1990, the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) is a national early warning system to detect possible safety problems in U.S.-licensed vaccines. VAERS is co-managed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS accepts and analyzes reports of adverse events (possible side effects) after a person has received a vaccination. Anyone can report an adverse event to VAERS. Healthcare professionals are required to report certain adverse events and vaccine manufacturers are required to report all adverse events that come to their attention.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/

One might consider this an authoritative source.

Unfortunately, full U.S. details don't seem to be readily available as the system has a 10,000 row limit per report. When I select all COVID vaccines, United States & Territories, 2020 & 2021 dates, Death - the system reports 17,321 rows. This does not mean 17,321 people have died as some entries could refer to more than one person / event. But, going with death - we humans only have one death event per person.

Removing the Death selection and adding Permanent Disability there are 13,041 rows. Switching to Life Threatening 21,294 rows are reported.

Constricting the report to only the state of Colorado and moving back to Death, the report is below the 10,000 limit and a file can be downloaded (checkbox at the end). In the first selection criteria item is a checkbox for "Adverse Event Description". This is perhaps the main item to read - what the person or doctor experienced / reported.

[Report data requested May 2021]

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Agreed, facts are useful, like this CDC analysis stating that the numbers from VAERS amount to 0.0017% mortality rate after taking the vaccine, vs >1% after getting covid without the vaccine. Very useful, thanks for pointing that out Jim. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...se-events.html

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Based on Jim's post I found this CDC slidedeck on the vaers data analysis. They pulled coroner reports on deaths to find causes and did a great analysis breaking it down for those that want more detail. One important point they make is that 22% of people in long term care facilities die every year, meaning about 2% of people in those homes die every month on average just because it was their time, so if you vaccinate them all, you would expect 2% to die because they were in a home meant to care for them at the end of their lives and it has nothing to do with the vaccine at all, yet their name will be on the vaers list.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/me...himabukuro.pdf

Last Online
    July 11th, 2022
    4x4
    2007 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    4runner.Ric
    Real Name
    Ric
    Thanks Given

speedkills previously posted:
    "I had a feeling that link was mostly bullshit, but then I stopped reading when it said 99.9% survival rate. If the logic is why take a vaccine if the survival rate is 99.9%, does that mean that if someone tells you the truth that it's <99% you would change your mind? No, of course not, facts are only used to convince others, not to alter our own beliefs.

Saying it has a 99.9% survival rate is an outright lie, check one of any respected sources and you will see it's well over 1% mortality rate. Or just choose the geocities webpage that says what you want to hear. But it's not just believing bullshit, by linking it here you spread it. I had intended to bow out of this thread but just wanted to jump in so nobody else is fooled by this, this is about the level of "we're going to be under martial law soon, I know because my neighbor is ex-military and can be relied on" rumor mongoring. Don't believe me, just do like the world's laziest google search, covid mortality rate if you want real numbers.

"

more mainstream media "facts" lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast