Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID: A little something to lighten your day.

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default Re: COVID: A little something to lighten your day.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Brian (April 4th, 2020),Tom (April 4th, 2020)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Mask per the latest recommendation:

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to Getaklu For This Post:

Tom (April 9th, 2020)

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

A different type of registration came in today. Someone, with a stated location of New City NY (yes, there is such a city), put in a reg with a username of "ImMiserable". Well, "ImMiserable" of New City, NY, we hope you find a good offroad group close to you.

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

I used to spin that toilet paper roll like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

PSA: Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

Homeschooling is going well: 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone.

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house and told my birds - we laughed a lot.

Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Day 5 of Homeschooling:One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

I'm so excited! It's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

Day 6 of Homeschooling:My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year." I'm offended.

(Can you believe the lady talked to her cat!)

7. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

speedkills (April 10th, 2020),Tom (April 9th, 2020)

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I appreciate that many/most are making a sacrifice by staying at home through this, and need to share your issues... but for those of us that have been deemed "essential" and have to go to work every day, it really makes things worse to hear this kind of stuff pretty much non stop (from my perspective - I'd love to be sitting at home with my dog, deciding what to do with my spare time rather than risking my health every day).

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

It's just gallows humor. Both my wife and I work in "essential" industries as well. Instead of sitting around with my dog deciding what to do, we're standing in for the schools with our two kids while also working regular work weeks remotely. Free time is a thing of the past...

10. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Jackie (April 12th, 2020),speedkills (April 10th, 2020)

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Clients are starting to ask me - do you know of anyone with it? Nope. I ask back - nope comes from them.

Yes, it exists, but just how common is my head scratcher.

https://www.health.com/condition/col...flu-every-year
    Not that you ought to take influenza lightly. Flu season in the US, which runs from October through May, claims tens of thousands of lives every year. This season CDC estimates that, as of mid-March, between 29,000 and 59,000 have died due to influenza illnesses. Add to that the misery of hundreds of thousands of flu-related hospitalizations and millions of medical visits for flu symptoms this season.

That above is yearly. For most, in the U.S., we think little of "flu season". If someone is in a high risk group, they might always go for the vaccine and watch what they do - but most in society live as typical.

Now, I'm not looking to start any debate. This bug is an unknown and as such taking measures that can be seen as excessive, in hindsight, were an unknown at the time. I'm hoping this shutdown event will be a one-and-done thing. I imagine that once life gets rolling again a "second wave" will happen and I hope we don't go into lockdown again (I don't imagine any lockdown will be to the same level - hopefully nowhere close).

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I know multiple people who have had "clinically compatible" diagnosis. Most people still are not able to get the test, so this is as close as it gets. Doctors tell them "you have it, but you aren't bad enough to go to hospital so don't"

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

My husband and I are both out of work so we decided to make use of our time (and save some money) by gutting our basement. We have it stripped from floor to ceiling. He's re-routing some plumbing and installing new lighting. The only demolition left is the rock wall behind that hideous old fireplace plus a bathroom that is on the opposite side of that wall. We just got the new concrete drill delivered, so that should be good fun.

Last Online
    29 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

FWIW Jim - students at my high school have lost relatives - mostly grandparents. My friend in C-springs mother and step father are still in IC after 16 days on and off ventilators and oxygen - TBD how it plays out. And while there is some optimism that the early, more dire projections of 200,000+ deaths has now been reduced to 60,000-100,000 deaths - more inline with a bad flu season - its also hard to say 7000+ deaths and counting in NY in a couple weeks is typical flu season. I am not sure how much of the new, more optimistic view is the social action that has been implemented (stay at home etc), or how much is the reality was the initial forecasts were overly pessimistic (that it is better to prepare for the worst, hope for the best). And I am not sure we've seen the worst of it yet here in Colo, although the IHME projections suggest optimism. But even if we see only 60,000 deaths nationwide - then somewhere between 15-20% of all deaths will be from NY alone, which suggests to me there was reason to take action, and while its been a bit too late in NY, maybe not elsewhere. On the flip side, one could also suggest high population density, urban areas are more easily affected, thus those living in other, more rural areas should have more choice in how they chose to respond.

And no matter how it all pans out, we will have some economic consequences for sure (already happening I guess - my friend and colleague of my wife just put his house up for sale - was struggling to make payments the last couple months with work issues (and maybe questionable choices), and now out of work for an additional couple months, in a 'gig' or hourly contract service without UI support (at least not for a while)...How much one is 'enjoying' the new life/work/school at home probably has a lot to do with one's financial stability. Some are working that would prefer not to risk their health, and others would like to work and have been laid-off, and others like me are working from home and finding its way better than going to work...My friend in C-springs (with the hospitalized mother) is 'essential' and interacts with other people - his work has been cut to 36hr/wk (3-12hr days) from 40+ and wouldn't mind working the full amount for paycheck reasons...No good solutions....and as we socially integrate and open up etc, there will be a second wave etc, but hopefully much more manageable with testing and individual quarantine isolation etc...

15. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jackie (April 12th, 2020),open_circuit (April 10th, 2020)

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

The Simpsons do Social Distancing

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2016 Rubicon, Belly Armor, MC 2.5 GC Lift
    User Name
    JGRubicon
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Eh, for what it's worth, I travelled to Canada through DIA just before mid march (for work). Came back and isolated, not only in my home, but in the guest room away from my SO out of a degree of paranoia my father instilled in me.

Sure enough, 5 days after I got back I got a chest cold, low fever, with headaches and various other things that morphed into pneumonia. Nothing I had was alarmingly bad, but it was a different kind of cold/flu than I've ever had.

I've been clear of symptoms for over 2 weeks now and still stay the heck away from anyone except my SO, when I go out I go to closed golf courses so I don't go near anyone (walking the dog).

No idea what I had, may be no big deal, I wasn't sick enough to get tested, nor did I ask to be, but the poor Dr. doing a virtual visit with me was probably getting hammered at that point.

My company flopped almost immediately due to poor operations that I've been hearing about for months, but they had a scape goat and shut things down. I now get to choose if I take a 50% pay cut or get reduced to 10 hours a week.

I'm lucky in that I saw some things coming so I started beefing up my rainy day fund a while ago, but there are a LOT of people that would just rather be working, I know I would rather be working for a healthy company.

I'm not trying to bring everyone down, just saying there are a lot of people that may have had this new virus, but unless you were in BAD shape, no-one will know one way or another, there just wasn't enough testing to know. And just because there are a lot of people posting humor does not mean that others or they themselves are in a great place right now.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

JGRubicon previously posted:
    "Eh, for what it's worth, I travelled to Canada through DIA just before mid march (for work). Came back and isolated, not only in my home, but in the guest room away from my SO out of a degree of paranoia my father instilled in me.

Sure enough, 5 days after I got back I got a chest cold, low fever, with headaches and various other things that morphed into pneumonia. Nothing I had was alarmingly bad, but it was a different kind of cold/flu than I've ever had.

I've been clear of symptoms for over 2 weeks now and still stay the heck away from anyone except my SO, when I go out I go to closed golf courses so I don't go near anyone (walking the dog).

No idea what I had, may be no big deal, I wasn't sick enough to get tested, nor did I ask to be, but the poor Dr. doing a virtual visit with me was probably getting hammered at that point.

My company flopped almost immediately due to poor operations that I've been hearing about for months, but they had a scape goat and shut things down. I now get to choose if I take a 50% pay cut or get reduced to 10 hours a week.

I'm lucky in that I saw some things coming so I started beefing up my rainy day fund a while ago, but there are a LOT of people that would just rather be working, I know I would rather be working for a healthy company.

I'm not trying to bring everyone down, just saying there are a lot of people that may have had this new virus, but unless you were in BAD shape, no-one will know one way or another, there just wasn't enough testing to know. And just because there are a lot of people posting humor does not mean that others or they themselves are in a great place right now."

Sorry to hear about the job and illness. Eventually we (society) will have to figure out a way to widely test if we have all had the virus and if we are to some degree immune so we can gauge risk going forward. Clearly we aren't there yet.

I don't recall what your line of work is, but I know my company is still actively hiring right now. Might be able to point you to some open listings if your skills and experience line up. PM me if you are interested.

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

SGN Ep3 is up...

Last Online
    March 9th, 2021
    4x4
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Blackjeep
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Uncanny resemblance

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Tom (April 21st, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Clients are starting to ask me - do you know of anyone with it? Nope. I ask back - nope comes from them.

Yes, it exists, but just how common is my head scratcher."

My wife's coworker's husband passed away yesterday from COVID-19 after being diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I don't know how common it is, but it is definitely affecting people we know.

25. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Jim (April 21st, 2020)

Last Online
    59 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

This vid came out yesterday. Listen to a doctor (not a news talking head) talk about things. It looks to be more fact / science than opinion and spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0wdzR51_tM
    28 minutes

27. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Tom (April 21st, 2020)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

29. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

JGRubicon (April 24th, 2020)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast