1970CJ5-1958WillysWagon-2010Tacoma
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 690 Posts

Default Re: 58 Willys Wagon

No...parts are fine, just user error with the press. Learning as I go, and trying not to screw stuff up too bad. Hopefully mainshaft assembly will start to go quicker...but then getting the jumble of countershaft, mainshaft and input shaft all back into the case properly with bearings will probably be a PITA....
    2010 Tacoma TRD

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

A bit of progress...all bushings and synchro hubs pressed on etc...one side of mainshaft complete.... doesn't seem like a lot, but I am slow and only get a couple hours every so often.
    2010 Tacoma TRD

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,441 Posts

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "only get a couple hours every so often."

You're skiing up there, no? Teaching / guiding?

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Yup....in the middle of a 14 day straight work stretch. My place is nicely located within walking distance to work, but no garage or workshop (just a condo), so I have to travel an hour to town (west yellowstone) to a friends house with garage etc. Was trying to come down once a week on my day off, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
    2010 Tacoma TRD

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

An update....progress has been slow and I damaged some more good parts so more delays....but....
    thought made some progress finishing the mainshaft with install into case...but initial inspection suggests there is too much movement in 1st gear...it can rub on the inside of the case...

turns out I left out a thrust washer that goes behind the output bearing....

But somehow when putting it back together, I was too focused on figuring out the asymmetrical stepped thrust washer and somehow forgot the bearing snap ring and started pressing on the bearing with the bearing backwards. By the time I realized it, the snap ring groove is too far into the case to get the splitter on it to pull it...

Had to pull the rear bearing back off again, but with the snap ring inside the case, there is nothing for the bearing puller to grab onto. The mainshaft can't slide back enough as 1st gear hits the case, and can't slide forward enough to pull through and remove as the bearing doesn't allow the rear of the shaft to tip down so the other end can raise up to clear gears on the counter shaft. Had to cut some grooves into the bearing for the bearing splitter to grab onto and then order a new bearing and wait a few weeks....and did some drinking....

Finally, thought I got it all back together nicely, and end play still wasn't right...after checking the output end of the mainshaft a few times, d
    ecided some of the issue might be associated with the input shaft. According to the schematic, there is supposed to be a lock ring outside the front bearing (#4)...

It should go in this groove:

But when the bearing was pressed on, there was no way it would go on far enough to expose the lock ring groove. It seemed the bearing should slide all the way up against the 'shoulder step' the oil slinger is on, but I put A LOT of pressure on it with the 12 ton press and the bearing was bottomed out in terms of movement when it reaches the inner groove, but would not slid over it. I was initially thinking the bearing was too thick, but this is the correct 'thinner' (.63") 211 bearing from Novak kit.

dammit! just figured it out today....What a effing stupid moron I've been. I had the base plates set-up wrong on the press....the pilot/clutch tip of the shaft is very small diameter, but of course, the section of the shaft that the bearing slides over and that the snap ring goes on is larger diameter....I wasn't allowing enough clearance with the support plates for the larger section of the shaft to slide through - that is why it was always getting stuck flush with the front edge and cover the snap ring groove. The really stupid part is I did it that way in Montana a couple weeks ago, and now I am home in my own garage set-up and did it same stupid way. Heating the bearing allowed it to slip fit on almost all the way down - it slid so far on that the large diameter portion of the shaft began to come out. When I went to set it on the press plates I realized the through hole was too small...a block of wood and hammer tap and it dropped right one. I am too annoyed to be happy or even relieved....
    2010 Tacoma TRD

6. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (1 Day Ago),open_circuit (2 Days Ago),speedkills (1 Day Ago),Tom (1 Day Ago)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Now it looks right....front and rear bearings setting all the way in and the large first gear has proper clearance from the rear of the case....
    2010 Tacoma TRD

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Tom (1 Day Ago)

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,441 Posts

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (1 Day Ago)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

ok...think that is it, counter shaft bearings installed...still need to test fit the top cover on and shift through gears, but manually moving the shift collars seems to work....found reverse....

Need to put the Novak D18 adapter plate on - which also acts as the rear bearing cap and holds stuff in place - and then begin disassembly of the D18....I probably should have done some test fitting of the two pieces with empty cases, but will have to make due.

Its time to get the cj ready for going to moab with an ecj5 member....went and brought it home, its been in garage storage at my parents since beginning of December...started right up and no obvious leaks or issues. check a few fluids, tire pressure and disconnect the drive shaft....maybe run it long enough to get it up to temp and make sure no coolant leaks.
    2010 Tacoma TRD

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    2006 Range Rover and 2015 LR4
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

That is some major surgery you have going on there. Thanks for all of the progress reports, it's a fun read for us even if it isn't always fun for you.

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

FINOCJ (13 Hours Ago)

Last Online
    15 Hours Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,008 Posts

Don't be so hard on yourself, it sounds like you've got busy-guy problems, not "effing stupid moron" ones. It's so easy to miss little details when you've got a lot going on, especially in multiple locations. At least you figured it out on the bench and not on the trail!

15. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Paul For This Post:

FINOCJ (13 Hours Ago),Tom (13 Hours Ago)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Don't be so hard on yourself, it sounds like you've got busy-guy problems, not "effing stupid moron" ones. It's so easy to miss little details when you've got a lot going on, especially in multiple locations. At least you figured it out on the bench and not on the trail! "

Two days back in my own garage really helped....I found it difficult to work in someone else's space (and tools), and getting to work on it once a week instead of everyday really caused me start-stop problems with trying to figure out where I left off, what was next etc....a lot of wasted time regrouping and probably led to some mistakes that I had to redo. Without a doubt, the sm465 is a much more tedious transmission rebuild than the T14 I did previously, or the D18 transfer case...in some ways, even the locker install with setting R&P backlash etc seemed to go smoother (albeit I wasn't setting up from scratch so pinon depth wasn't as bad as it could have been)....If I ever get this 58 project done, I have a 4:1 T18 4speed to go into the cj5 - from what I gather, it'll be between the T14 and sm465 in terms of rebuild difficulty, but I think it will have a mainshaft replacement as well - so its not trivial. By that time, I might be so sick of old jeeps that I buy something new, pay for shop labor to install a kit and just drive it.
    2010 Tacoma TRD

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789