1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Re: 58 Willys Wagon

Another item checked off the list....with the new PS pump mounting and engine location etc, I needed a new power steering hose as the old one was way too long, and I also needed to shorten and re-bend the hard line on the pump end (not to mention it seemed to want to kink more than bend when I was messing with it). It was a bit of an adventure - got to see some of Denver that I had never seen before - but found a local shop that makes hydraulic hoses etc. I don't think they usually custom bend hard line for customers - mostly just re-use the existing stuff - but the old timer was kind of interested in my project and decided to spend a bit of extra time working out some solutions. I think I paid a bit dear price ($80 for some hose, 2 fittings and some custom modification), but considering I hadn't had much luck elsewhere, and I walked in and 30 min later I walked out with exactly what I needed, and had helpful service with some expertise and concern to help me out with a bit of custom work, it was a good deal.

So if anyone needs some custom hydraulic lines done (they also do all sorts of brake lines, air lines etc), check out
    Whistler Bearing (http://www.whislerbearing.com/). In addition to a shop in Denver, they also have a shop in Colo Springs. Next time, I'll know to get the fittings and straight hard line from them first, and then take it home to bend exactly how I want, and then return to the shop with the measurement for length of hose needed, and clocking of fittings.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

TyTheJeepGuy (May 4th, 2022)

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Getting stuff done....needed a break from engine stuff....so 4 new ujoints into the driveshafts.

Then spent a lot of today on electrical stuff....Is there any pic to represent many hours upside down, in and out of the cab, under and around the jeep on all sides getting the wiring all in place? Maybe no more wires hanging from under the dash? Its not super pretty up under there, but since I didn't start from scratch, I sort of letting some of it be as it was, although I cleaned up a little bit of it, especially around the ignition switch and headlight switch. Mostly there were a few 'add-in' wires to get power for other things, so I removed those, added an ACC post on the firewall to connect that stuff to. Everything under the dash is still running inline fuses, but at some point, I'd like to set up 2 fuse boxes (Batt and ACC) like I did the in cj...but this will work for now. The column used the GM style flat 'harmonica' connector for the turn signals, hazards, horn, but its pretty simple as there is no ignition switch in the column - I moved that to the dash awhile ago. The only thing that was a bit goofy, and I didn't change it, was there are two separate circuits for the turn signals and hazards - each circuit with its own flasher canister....In the end, I decided it was nice and simple, and I could power the signals with ACC and the hazards with Batt. I like electrical stuff in terms of getting it organized and clean....but I'd much rather do it upright on the bench!

As for the engine side, that is a lot more from scratch, so really trying to make it clean and neat....ignore the parking brake cable that is not routed yet. The ignition, starter, charging and ground stuff is essentially done. The section of the harness that goes to the exterior accessories (lights and electric fan) will be done once the fender is back on (which is hopefully tomorrow morning).

The flywheel dust cover came in today from 4speed Conversions...fit perfectly....but the 4th bolt that holds it in is hard to get at behind the oil filter, so it may wait until the first oil change after break in...of course, that is the bolt that holds my little bracket for the clutch fork return spring. It will be fine for break-in with just the pedal return spring I think.

Also wanted to switch the primary jets in the qjet back to the OEM 71s...I swapped them down to 69s a couple years ago for the 283, but time to go back up with the 350 application. The carb number indicates its from a 1969 350 with auto (as is the intake) with 71 jets (and that is what I found in it when I got it). Given the primaries also have rods (49B) in them, the size of the jets is maybe less important than in something like the 2g carb on the cj5, but definitely don't want it running lean when I get it started up. We'll see how the plugs look after a bit. I also found the accelerator pump cup (which I changed a couple years ago) was torn - nothing likes the ethanol I guess. I ordered a new cup kit from Mikes, and it came with a single lip cup and garter spring whereas I think historically the qjet didn't run a spring - and the previous rebuild kit from Mike's came with the double lip cup (which tore) and no spring. Anyway, a bit of research from Cliffs and Quadrajet Parts also show both cups on their website and suggest the new style with the spring is the best option. Unfortunately, I had a lot of difficulty with the spring not wanting to stay in the new cup...I actually ended up using another cup I had in my collection that is the correct diameter measurements and seems to hold the spring in....arghhh, stupid fiddly stuff shouldn't be this difficult (seems like just low quality parts) that can cause bigger issues. I wanted a new A-pump with cup and all to install as one, but neither Mike's nor Quadrajet parts had one....If Cliffs has one, I'll order one for the collection. If it gives me any trouble, its coming off for more work right off the bat.

I am down to 13 days before I leave....running out time....

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Thanks for those carb pics, brings back memories of wrenching when I was young 25 years ago. Haven't had anything with a carb besides a dirt bike in a long time but it sure makes me feel nostalgic.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Getting so close....sorry the plug wires are a bit a mess for the photos, but will get those cleaned up just a bit....

All the wiring is done as far as I can tell - but haven't tested anything. I ended up redoing some more of the old wiring, and replacing all primary wire etc...I added a large primary wire from the alt to a post you can see on the driver inner fender. From this post I was able to make a few different circuits to help keep to current flow reasonable low through any circuit. The post is +12V (BATT) and also creates a cleaner place to connect relay circuit into like the electric fan and future stuff like headlight relays and fuse blocks etc. I just decided I didn't want any issues with too much current through old wires in some places - and since I don't have any relay for the headlights, I wired it into its own circuit so to minimize dimming issues. All Acc power is on its on circuit as well. Spent a bunch (way too much) time working on a gas pedal riser bracket as well as modifying the throttle pivot/torque bar as well as the throttle rod to the carb. When I got it, there wasn't enough room for the throttle to pull back far enough to open the secondaries fully and keep the pedal position reasonable to drive. Its still not perfect, and if any carpet or anything is added, it probably won't fully open the secondaries. In the long run, a more formal solution for the gas pedal will probably be needed as there is also the tight squeeze of space between the brake pedal and the transmission. I will probably try to integrate a heel rest or block into the transmission tunnel cover as well as modify the pedal mount moving it a bit up and passenger side....
    Jen leaves town today for T-giving holiday family stuff....I stay and finish the Willys....gotta have priorities....but I need her help to get the hood mounted before she leaves.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Tom (November 22nd, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr \ 1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Oh jeeze what MESS in that engine bay

If you need an extra set of hands I can come help.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

FINOCJ (November 22nd, 2021)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Looks great!

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Last Online
    February 7th, 2024
    4x4
    97 TJ
    User Name
    Schmitty
    Real Name
    Schmitty
    Thanks Given

Coming together, lookin' sweet.

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to Schmitty For This Post:

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

SHE WENT AROUND THE M-FING BLOCK! After issues and failing to get it run in on Wed, I ran it in yesterday, but had some various challenges (especially working solo) - hopefully none of them detrimental to the engine in the long term. A few things needed to be addressed after that, but got the timing set good enough, clutch adjustment so it will actually go into gear, change of oil and filter (which looked fine - no metal sparkle). Its running only the short block hugger headers - so everyone knows of course, including a couple harder pulls on the slightly bigger street around the neighborhood. With no trans tunnel either - its so loud in the cab I can't really tell if the engine is running right, and probably enough exhaust fumes to make you sick right quick. But it went around the damn block!....I like how the sm465 shifts. I've been planning on paying for shop work to do the exhaust - so will give a call in on Monday to see how soon they can do it, but it won't really matter as I'm leaving on Wed for the winter. Its dripping way more oil out of the RMS than I want to think about - at least I am pretty sure its the RMS and not the pan gasket...that is a big downer. I am going to go drink, both because it went around the m-fing block and because I can't even install a decent RMS on an engine stand....I'd get drunk, but have to pick my wife up at the airport at 11 tonight...there is time to get sober before then right?

14. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

speedkills (November 27th, 2021),Tom (November 26th, 2021),TyTheJeepGuy (November 26th, 2021)

Last Online
    January 27th, 2024
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Congrats James, I think you've earned a few!

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Steve-O For This Post:

FINOCJ (November 26th, 2021)

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

These were waiting when I got home....

Salvage ramshorn manifolds from a 70s sbc350....they are the smaller 2" collector, but given my lower rpm focus, they should be fine. I cleaned them up and took them to a local coating company for high temp ceramic coating. Color choice was an adventure...but ended on the classic silver after planning on black and then cast iron grey... They even did a bit smoothing on the inside of the ports removing some of the casting irregularities. Sounds like if you have good mating surfaces, no gasket needed between manifold and head....hope these bring the underhood temps down....just getting the rest of the exhaust system in will help with that as well....I've got 3 days to see what I can get done.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Look'n good!

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (January 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr \ 1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

I agree the headers look great. FWIW, the new manifold on my passenger side of the 401 doesn't have a gasket, no leaks (at least none audible) yet.

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

FINOCJ (January 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

I'll be curious to hear how the ceramic coating does at keeping underhood temps down for you. I'm thinking I should have coated or wrapped my headers, the heat just pours off of them.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

speedkills previously posted:
    "I'll be curious to hear how the ceramic coating does at keeping underhood temps down for you. I'm thinking I should have coated or wrapped my headers, the heat just pours off of them."

My only previous similar experience is with the v6 in the cj5....When I got it, it had fenderwell headers and I ran it that way for over a year. I then found some used OEM manifolds and painted them with VHT paint, and redid the entire exhaust (no more effing side dump cherry bombs!). The headers I took off were rusty (replacement was needed as they rusted through and cracked at the mounting flange) - not sure if they were ever coated or left natural and just oxidized. But switching to manifolds made things cooler under hood...although it wasn't a huge issue. I had these manifolds ceramic coated more out of ease (take them to a shop) than trying to properly cure the vht paint in the oven etc. The VHT paint has never had an issue on my cj - but guessing the little v6 doesn't put off quite as much heat as the v8. I thought about trying to wrap or paint or ceramic coat the headers - I like the fit of the headers on the v8 - but everyone I know who has tried to vht paint the headers, it lasted for awhile (a few years), but eventually it has issues. I think headers just get so damn hot compared to iron manifolds. I think a good wrap could really help with heat - but it shortens the life of the headers even more as it also traps moisture and increases corrosion. The cost of coating headers was more than manifolds, and even when coated, they only last 10 years or so of lots of use, and getting the flange to seal against the head is always a PITA on headers. Plus, even with ceramic coating, the headers will discolor due to heat - although its only aesthetic.

So, in other words, I went with old school manifolds, they'll never need replaced, they will always look good, they might help with low end torque compared to headers (like v8 350 isn't going to be enough as is!), and I expect they will help with underhood heat more than anything else. But, if you are stuck with headers, then think about getting them ceramic coated....I think it'll help with heat, but maybe not as much as iron manifolds, but it will help with longevity and appearance. I used these guys - obviously no comment on long term durability, but in terms of dealing with staff and what I judge of the initial quality of the coating - highly recommend!
    https://www.appliedplastic.com/

24. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

speedkills (January 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I had the new muffler on the ultralight ceramic coated (inside and out). Motor was a 2-cyl 2-stroke kawasaki 440cc, air cooled. Longevity was good - I had it for 19 years (always stored inside). It started to get some pin prick rust spots but they weren't too numerous.

26. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (March 13th, 2022)

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Adding another project to the 58s list....

period correct LSD for the rear axle. These were OEM options in various jeeps and IHs over the years. It's used but in good shape. I've been hesitant to invest much into the stock axles of the 58 as they are not the beefiest, and not sure if I'll just blow them up with the sbc. But decided I going to try and keep the original D25/D44 combo and gearing an run an OEM style OD off the D18 PTO just like the CJ. I built the sbc350 in completely low performance stock configuration, and the granny low on the sm465 should help keep things crawling without much throttle. Plus, it's not a hard core trail rig...but some extra traction on the rear is always good. Doing diffs is tedious as the RandP will have to come out and then backlash all reset with the new carrier. If this all works, full floating the rear may also happen, but that is pricey!

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I think this question has been asked a few times, but wondering about exhaust manifold (ramshorn) gaskets for a sbcv8....I think they came from the factory without gaskets, but of course, the mating surfaces would have been pristine. For the short while I ran headers on the sbc, I ran a sort of 1-piece pressed cardboard gasket figuring cheap headers needed all the help they can get. But now that I am back to manifolds, wondering about going without any gaskets (the mating surfaces are in good shape, but they haven't necessarily been machined flat), or using just a bit of red high Temp exhaust RTV directly on a mating surface, or going and using a dry gasket....and if gasket is recommended, any particular preference? thanks

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I think the ramshorn exhaust manifolds look good - choosing the ceramic coating color was quite the stressful process, but I think its right on. It goes to the muffler shop on tues - I am going to pay shop to build the exhaust. Will have to rework the plug wires a bit....It gets loaded on a trailer next Sat to go to Montana.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Damn...I couldn't have done this, especially given the time frame, but pricey....did dual exhaust exiting behind the rear wheels on each side. Trying figure out a y-pipe that stayed tucked up reasonably tight, seemed too much with the massive sm465, the front drive shaft etc. Kind of wondering if a crossover pipe should have been used, but rear driveshaft was an issue. Anyway, its quiet and now I can at least drive it around a bit while continuing to work on it.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Looks good!!!

So, would you take this on a casual mountain trail or are the plans asphalt only? Yea, I know the move might dictate the answer - but it's more of a philosophic question.

32. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (May 3rd, 2022)

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 ... LastLast