Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Labor Day - Miller Rock - err scratch that - STORM MOUNTAIN !!

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Labor Day - Miller Rock - err scratch that - STORM MOUNTAIN !!

`met up with Jay and family at Sandstone Park (which was surprisingly quiet) for the listed Miller Rock run. I was introduced to his sister and husband who are visiting from Manhattan (welcome to open space!!). We discussed the differences between the two trails and decided to change plans and visit Storm Mountain.

Instead of backtracking east a bit before heading north to US-34 we headed up 36 to Estes Park (Mall road / east side route to bypass a potentially busy downtown). I was biased for a cinnamon roll at the general store at Glen Haven (always well enjoyed). The route would be more scenic with mountain riding, and a tad longer, but it had CINNAMON ROLLS.

Hmm what are the numbers??? Google maps from Sandstone Park to the Storm Mountain road by Drake...

Via the plains / US-34:
    46 minutes, 32.3 miles

Via US-36 / US-34:
    47 minutes, 30.8 miles

Via US-36 / Glen Haven:
    55 minutes, 34.6 minutes

We aired down just after crossing the bridge / before ascending the switchback canyon as we recalled the washboard from the last visit - still recommended. On the trail, jumping up and over a ridge with some of the more difficult portions of the trail we stopped for a short break near the intersection for Storm Drain. Coming down trail was a pickup asking for radiator fluid / water. Jay looked under the hood and said - park it - the radiator blew out a chunk of it's plastic end cap (perhaps two inches wide by eight inches long). No fluid to be had in the radiator. I was thinking Jay and family could continue up the trail and I'd tow the couple in the truck back to the trailhead. Jay had the idea of "park the truck and ride with us". The couple thought that would be great as they didn't make it to the end before the radiator blew on'm.

Aside from the couple in the pickup, there was some traffic on the trail. Before we met them, we encountered a repaint yellow (70's / 80's) ?Bronco? having a hard time getting up one of the obstacles. Left rear tire spinning. It likely didn't have the fronts working. They backed out of the way for us to pass (Thanks folks!). A side by side or two and a group of seven or nine came up behind us at the trail's end.

The air was hazy. The mountain ridges weren't clear but did have stair stepping greyscale colors fading with distance.

Heading back we stopped at the pickup and pulled out the straps. I was in front pulling with Jay in back stopping (his truck was heavier than my jeep so he'd likely have better braking). Nothing too unusual with the pull out. The large group caught up to us at an obstacle and we let them by. One or two small groups were heading in as we were coming out and they could tuck off trail to let our three vehicle train rumble by.

Out from the trail we stopped again - do we get'm down to Drake or stay on Storm Mountain road in the housing development. Down to Drake would be good. Since the pickup was a 5-speed manual they could leave the motor in 3 or 4th, while being pulled, engine off, to give power steering and engine vacuum for good brakes. Before heading out we noticed the rear wheel on the driver's side was a bit far rear in the wheel well - more aft than the pass side wheel. Jay poked under the body to see a problem with the suspension. He diagnosed a longer term issue for the guy in but a couple moments (the guy said he kept having issues with brakes in that drum assembly). At the top of the canyon drop I disconnected as they were comfortable with steering and brakes with the motor being in gear. They were able to coast out to the stop sign with no issue. From that stop sign to the stop at Drake they started the motor and drove it the 200 yards (the motor wouldn't heat up near enough to cause an issue) where family was on the way with a trailer.

It was an enjoyable day - met some new folks and helped some folks. Nutt'n for photos worth posting with the haze in the air (and I didn't think of a pic of the busted rad). Oh, Glen Haven CINNAMON ROLLS !!!

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Brian (September 4th, 2018),jaymoto (September 4th, 2018),Jeff M. (September 21st, 2018)

Last Online
    October 17th, 2023
    4x4
    2004 tacoma
    User Name
    jaymoto
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Labor Day - Miller Rock - err scratch that - STORM MOUNTAIN !

Well Jim beat me to the trail report and summed it up very well right down to the Cinnamon Rolls! Thanks Jim for the help showing My family a great day out and were glad they could be apart of the recovery effort. Pics to follow of what I took.

Last Online
    October 17th, 2023
    4x4
    2004 tacoma
    User Name
    jaymoto
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

Glen Haven Cinnamon Roll! One happy kiddo of mine! Also pics of way up to storm.

5. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to jaymoto For This Post:

Brian (September 4th, 2018),Jim (September 4th, 2018)

Last Online
    October 17th, 2023
    4x4
    2004 tacoma
    User Name
    jaymoto
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

Playing around at top of Storm and Recovery down.

Last Online
    October 17th, 2023
    4x4
    2004 tacoma
    User Name
    jaymoto
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

On way down.

8. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to jaymoto For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 4th, 2018),Jim (September 4th, 2018)