Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

View Poll Results: 2018 Anniversary Run: When and Where?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • March 2018 at the Gulches

8 38.10%
  • March 2018 different trail suggestion (put in comments)

1 4.76%
  • June 2018 at China Wall

12 57.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Anniversary Run?

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default 2018 Anniversary and Adopt-a-Trail Runs?

Hi all,

getting a bit of an early start with an Anniversary Run discussion. As a reminder, this run has historically taken place in March based on the founding of the group (I believe). Over the last year or so, we have had some difficulty with actually planning a run during the March time frame with the seasonal closure of China Wall trail. We have struggled to identify an alternate trail that suits the needs of a large group of different vehicles and capabilities, has better potential weather (and minimal snow) for March, can accommodate group camping near the trailhead, and is reasonably close to many of our members' front range location. As previously, the main question that comes up is whether it is better to maintain the March 'anniversary' time frame and try to find a functional trail or location, or to move the anniversary run to a later time?

My main motivation for this discussion is twofold:
    1) to begin anniversary run planning if we decide to maintain the March date
    2) potentially to coordinate a later date anniversary run with our 2 yearly adopt-a-trail runs

In regards to our adopt-a-trail runs - we have generally done 2 runs (required to maintain status as trail adopters). One in the late spring not long after the trails open, and one in the fall just before the trails close. USFS ranger Brandt Wobig (our adopt-a-trail contact) has suggested we think about delaying our first clean-up till after July 4th weekend. As the trails have very little usage (non-motorized only) during the winter, very little clean-up is needed. July 4th is the first weekend they really get used, and a clean-up would be beneficial immediately afterwards and help keep things in better shape through the high use season until we do the fall/end of season clean-up.

I tend to agree that our first clean-up could be delayed until July, and thus that might open up an opportunity for the anniversary run to take place in late May or early June. In addition to China Wall opening sometime in early June, this could also provide an opportunity for the anniversary run to take place on our adopted trails - and we could count it towards volunteer adopt-a-road hours if we wanted to do some clean-up as well (which many on this forum do anytime they are out on trails).

just food for thought and to see what we think...I am hoping to get the adopt-a-trail clean-ups planned and on the schedule earlier than we have recently so we can all plan accordingly.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Default Re: 2018 Anniversary Run?

Trailridge Runners, the adopters of MSV & Coney Flats, do weekend cleanup/maintenance runs with camping. Similar to what James is discussing.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

James I agree here. This would make better use of the first clean up run.
    As well allow the group to plan the anniversary run.

Last Online
    19 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

X2. The spring cleanup seemed more like just a trail run.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

It was a good time but not much trash on the spring clean up we did.

Last Online
    November 2nd, 2022
    4x4
    2000 TJ
    User Name
    Riotcake
    Real Name
    Tyler
    Thanks Given

Since I haven't been here a year yet this is news to me!

Is the anniversary run always China Wall? Was that the first Frontrange4x4 run or something?

I was on the Barbour Fork Clean up run this past fall and it was a great time even though it wasn't the best weather. I would like to do more of these, and it does seem like it would be more beneficial to do it after the 4th of July. As long as I can get the day off, I'm game!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Riotcake previously posted:
    "Is the anniversary run always China Wall? Was that the first Frontrange4x4 run or something?"

March 2008 was when this forum went live thus the origin of Front Range 4x4. A former member suggested we have an anniversary run as March 2009 approached and the idea took off. March was fun because the weather was unknown, sometimes warm and sunny, sometimes snowy and cold. Pretty fun not knowing but this was a small group at the time that was pretty adventurous.

China Wall was chosen because weather tends to pass over leaving it a realistic option that wouldn’t get snowed in regardless of snow amounts. The second reason was it was located where people from Denver and the Springs would both have similar drives not favoring one over the other.

8. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to Chris For This Post:

FINOCJ (February 9th, 2018),Jim (February 9th, 2018),Terrafied (February 10th, 2018),TJS86TOY (February 11th, 2018)

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

So that means this would be the 10th anniversary!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

11. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Chris For This Post:

dr350jja (February 11th, 2018),FINOCJ (February 9th, 2018)

Last Online
    November 2nd, 2022
    4x4
    2000 TJ
    User Name
    Riotcake
    Real Name
    Tyler
    Thanks Given

Very cool. I've never done China Wall but I hear fun good things about it!

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Riotcake previously posted:
    "Very cool. I've never done China Wall but I hear fun good things about it!"

China wall is a fun trail and has some mini rock crawling obstacles that are fun for all vehicles. Its good for stockers and modified rigs. The steep climb on the return loop from the northwest end was closed down last year...it wasnt on the mvum and was technically illegal. It has big open area for camping at the trailhead and is easy for trailered rigs to access.

Unfortunately its no longer open in March. So the question is whether to keep the run at CW and do it in june or keep the run in march and move to a new trail - maybe the gulches.

The gulches provide a range of trail difficulty but isn't great for a large group. Camping at trailhead is smaller and isnt as good for towed campers. Trailering in along cedar mt road isn't the best.

All that being said...I kind of like keeping the anniversary date and going in march. Maybe I will put up a poll...last year we struggled to generate much interest in a march run...a june CW run is fine especially if we have interest and turn out.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

The big question, is the time of year or location more important for an anniversary run? March is tough with weather in CO, especially for the campers, and yes the gulches are an option, though they tend to be a bit crowded. CW offers the amenities but won’t be open until late June. A poll would be a good idea, maybe it will show a different time and place. To accommodate camping and the trailering folks seems to limit choices. I know I am stating the obvious, sometimes just need to “verbalize” the thoughts a bit.
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    December 31st, 2023
    4x4
    Tacoma
    User Name
    dr350jja
    Real Name
    Jim
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:

That was such an awesome, fun trail run!

Last Online
    40 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Getaklu previously posted:
    "March is tough with weather in CO, especially for the campers"

Yes - though it is fact that the location CW is at often has decent weather. I stayed with family in Denver a night prior several years back. Snow was coming down that morning. Grey sky. I had issues getting UP the 285 (4x4 all locked - tempted to pull out the chains). I turned around. Weather and roads stunk (my BFG KM tires are terrible in snow).

Folks at the trail reported blue sky and nice weather. There's something about that area where China Wall's located - often decent weather.

There's a lot that is nice about the China Wall trail and area. It is rather unfortunate it's closed now at our desired meet time.

Last Online
    December 31st, 2023
    4x4
    Tacoma
    User Name
    dr350jja
    Real Name
    Jim
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "China wall is a fun trail and has some mini rock crawling obstacles that are fun for all vehicles.

Unfortunately its no longer open in March.
    "

Why is that? Seems like more and more trails are closing. Same thing with the New Year's Day runs. I remember using Pole Hill Road the first two weekends in January. Now, most trails are closed November 30. Not good. More and more people coming to Colorado, using the trails, and less and less trails are available for use!

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "There's something about that area where China Wall's located - often decent weather.

There's a lot that is nice about the China Wall trail and area. It is rather unfortunate it's closed now at our desired meet time."

Absolutely correct Jim, that is one reason i put together the run there the day after Thanksgiving last year. If there is another trail that has the attributes of CW that would be open in March, we should consider it. Otherwise June may be the best best at CW. I liken it to other anniversaries. A wedding anniversary better be celebrated at the same time each year while the first elk can be celebrated during any hunting season depending on draw, etc., but nice to be on the same herd if possible. I hope that makes sense.
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Getaklu For This Post:

Jim (February 11th, 2018)

Last Online
    July 6th, 2021
    4x4
    Jeep TJ
    User Name
    JPSCRAWLER
    Real Name
    Je'an-Paul
    Thanks Given

This is why effort need be made to secure local property for this type use. Back in its glory the lefthand OHV area would have up to 300,000 visitors yearly. When it was shut down the rangers doing the flood damage assessments said it would take 2 million to repair the trails. Not only was it nonsense as the trails were in the best condition ever from a wheelers point of view but also at only $10 a pop thats 3 million in a season to do anything needed. Way to drop the ball! It will happen that an individual or group will open a large mountain terrain OHV park in the front range and I for one believe they will not only more funds than they could need but make the hundreds of nothern front range wheelers very happy. Just my 2 cents

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Default Poll for 2018 anniversary run

Poll has been posted to determine whether we would rather have our 2018 Anniversary run in March (the anniversary month) but move to a new location like the gulches, or move the run to June and keep it at China Wall. Some options posted...

edit - Thanks Jim for getting the threads merged!

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Getaklu previously posted:
    "A poll would be a good idea, maybe it will show a different time and place"

Poll posted - although I am voting for keeping the anniversary month and moving the run to a different trail...I think its most important that we have significant interest and participation.

ADMIN EDIT: Threads merged! URL to poll thread removed.

^^^^Thanks!^^^^

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

I went wheeling a couple years ago and the group. We approached the gulches from the southwest going through an area with plenty of space for camper trailers and trailered rigs. I just remember passing through that area just before getting to the sign for Hacket gulch. (We were going there to run Metberry) Coming from the north east side there really isn't a lot of room. I feel the gulches would be great option for multible groups to run. And be able to keep it on the anniversary date? Maybe find the area on google maps to see if that is viable. I would be happy to run with the noobies. My rig is kind of limited anyways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast