2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Kingston Peak / Yankee Hill Sunday 9/17

This coming Sunday we're (finally) going to run Kingston Peak and hike to the James Peak Lakes, about 1 mile each way. The hiking trailhead is about 1/4 of the way into the trail at the incredible overlook after the mild shelf section, you can see it in the videos below. An old lady does it in the video, aside from the initial hill it's semi-flat. After Kingston Peak Yankee Hill is right there and makes a great loop back. Stock vehicles can do these trails. We should get to the cemetery area around 10:00, anyone interested?

Good video but it ends at the Rock House

the whole trail

the hike

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Kingston Peak / Yankee Hill Sunday 9/17

Definite possibility, I will keep an eye on the post.
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

it's posted, meet here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...4d-105.5348839 @ 10:00 Sunday

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Last I did Kingston peak it was not really stock friendly on the flat section up top. We saw large ruts in the trail. My lifted 98 Disco flexed out pretty hard.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Lots of stock rigs do these trails. That section is rutted, but I didnt think it was any big deal. A group did a bunch of work on that section last year too, maybe it's just changed. The hardest part, IMO, is the hill after the James Peak Lakes hike, and it's not hard. In this video one of the FJ Cruisers is stock and picks a bad line on the hill, backs up a bit and is GTG. In the second one the 5th Gen 4runner looks stock to me (bunch of Rovers pass him after 5:00, maybe you?)

solo stock run of Kingston http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...k-solo-run-9-2

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Looks like fun. I had a little trouble with clearance this weekend at Argentine pass. This rail is rated the same, so I assume I'll generally be OK here also?

Since my Jeep is new (to me) and I am dumb, I did not realize the previous owner had installed sway bar quick disconnects, which I found yesterday. I'll use these next time!

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Its all about the line on trails like this. I don't want to post a ton of videos, but there are Subarus, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, all sorts of vehicles that have videos going over Kingston. Here's a video from 2015 (when you could still park at the cemeteries!) of us going over Yankee with a Cherokee Trailhawk along. It took a while, but he made it without damage.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Ran this about a month ago with a couple of forum members - we ran it from south to north. One of the rigs was an F150 with 31s - and it did fine even with its length and lots of overhang. I would say a stock jeep or solid SUV will be fine with some care in a few spots. It will definitely flex the suspension though...I think my old stiff cj springs even flexed a bit in spots! The rutted section above the stone house to the top is not as bad as it was a couple years ago (I think I ran it with Brad then as well and had some issues with keeping all four in traction and wheel spin - but its better now). The worst spot for clearance is just above the switchback at the lake hike trailhead. Heading down, it was a bit of a step down and only the f150 had a bit of a clearance issue hitting a low hanging door step. I think that could have even been avoided with a bit of spotting - but Phillip has the 'go for it' mentality! Going up (which I think is Paul's plan) should be easier on clearance, just be aware of front approach angles - good placement of tires should avoid any issues. Open Circuit - the step up isn't any more difficult than the step going up Argentine- its possible you might brush the cross-member skid if the line is a bit off but take it slow and get a spot if needed. Great trail - if I chicken out of Red Cone on sat I might run Kingston again with you guys as its such a great trail - especially when you combine it with parts of Yankee to make a loop.

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

What clearance problem did you have?

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Bob previously posted:
    "What clearance problem did you have?"

If you are asking about open circuit in the LJ on Argentine - he brushed the bottom of the cross-member on the step on Argentine - the one where you got the left rear wheel up in the air on the way down.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

There's a caveat to that, the TJ / LJ shovel (nickname for the crossmember).

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I also scraped a few rocks in that boulder section at the start down the creek trail. I don't seem to have suffered any damage from the rock garden, but I was a bit nervous after scraping the ledge on argentine pass earlier in the day. I found it challenging to pick a line in the large boulder field -- probably lack of experience. I followed Bob down, and was impressed with the clearance his GC afforded him in that section.

Last Online
    29 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

1) The learning begins
    2) The jeep drove out
    3) No visible damage found

a good day

14. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Heather (September 15th, 2017),Tom (September 11th, 2017)

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "I also scraped a few rocks in that boulder section at the start down the creek trail. I don't seem to have suffered any damage from the rock garden, but I was a bit nervous after scraping the ledge on argentine pass earlier in the day. I found it challenging to pick a line in the large boulder field -- probably lack of experience. I followed Bob down, and was impressed with the clearance his GC afforded him in that section."

Sounds like you just scraped on the transmission skid plate, or dragged a little on the differential. Neither of those is a big deal. With the front sway bar disconnected it will be easier to navigate through the rocks.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "I also scraped a few rocks in that boulder section at the start down the creek trail. I don't seem to have suffered any damage from the rock garden, but I was a bit nervous after scraping the ledge on argentine pass earlier in the day. I found it challenging to pick a line in the large boulder field -- probably lack of experience. I followed Bob down, and was impressed with the clearance his GC afforded him in that section."

When we looked at the x-member at the bottom of Argentine, it was very minimal scraping - sometimes it sounds worse that it really is. Old rule of thumb...put the ugly stuff that is sticking up high and could be a clearance issue under the right or left tires when possible. Obviously, when clearance isn't an issue, we choose the smooth line straddling the rocks, but if it gets a bit ugly, sometimes the bumpy line with the higher rocks under the tires is better for clearance. If you put your tires on the high stuff, it raises the rest of the vehicle and provides more clearance. Sometimes, the high rock is right in the middle of the trail and its not possible to put it under a tire - so then it helps to know where your differentials are located. On the TJ/LJ, I believe the rear diff is centered between the tires, and the front diff is on the right side, so that means if you have to straddle the rock, try to have it go under the driver seat. Take it slow and a little bump often won't hurt anything - if it stops the vehicle its time for a spot. Following someone like Bob is also a good way to learn (I've seen him take some stock and lightly modified vehicles on some tuff trails) - it doesn't take long to get a feel for exactly where your tires are, and to begin seeing the 'line' or route through the rocks.

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Tom (September 11th, 2017)

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Very good explanation and advice, James! Thanks for the complement on my driving but I hardly stack up with you more experienced folks.

One caution about following my GC: Because it has independent suspension, I may choose to put an obstacle under the center of the GC because that's a high clearance area for it and it has Mopar skid plates. Since it doesn't have rock rails yet I'm reluctant to put some obstacles under the tires - I'd rather take a scrape underneath than crunch the rocker panel, especially on a unibody frame.

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Bob For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 11th, 2017)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Bob previously posted:
    "Very good explanation and advice, James! Thanks for the complement on my driving but I hardly stack up with you more experienced folks.

One caution about following my GC: Because it has independent suspension, I may choose to put an obstacle under the center of the GC because that's a high clearance area for it and it has Mopar skid plates. Since it doesn't have rock rails yet I'm reluctant to put some obstacles under the tires - I'd rather take a scrape underneath than crunch the rocker panel, especially on a unibody frame."

Thanks, I noted that pretty quickly and did not blindly follow your lines because of our undercarriage clearance differences. If possible, I put my tires and rock sliders on the high points.

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 11th, 2017)

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the clarification Bob - I forget about these fancy new vehicles that don't have solid axles (at least in the rear). I wheeled and DD'd a 2000 GC before I got my tacoma and really liked it - but it still had solid axles under it in those days. As Trent mentioned - he already recognized the difference - have to find someone with solid axles to follow and put the sliders to use!

You don't want to follow me as I don't have sliders but have a very very short wheelbase, both my diffs are offset to the right (which gives a nice tunnel for stuff to pass under) and and my wheel track is so narrow I take some unusual lines compared to others - I only need the right half the trail to wheel on. Its nice as when i come down its like a different run on the other side!

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "When we looked at the x-member at the bottom of Argentine, it was very minimal scraping - sometimes it sounds worse that it really is. Old rule of thumb...put the ugly stuff that is sticking up high and could be a clearance issue under the right or left tires when possible. Obviously, when clearance isn't an issue, we choose the smooth line straddling the rocks, but if it gets a bit ugly, sometimes the bumpy line with the higher rocks under the tires is better for clearance. If you put your tires on the high stuff, it raises the rest of the vehicle and provides more clearance. Sometimes, the high rock is right in the middle of the trail and its not possible to put it under a tire - so then it helps to know where your differentials are located. On the TJ/LJ, I believe the rear diff is centered between the tires, and the front diff is on the right side, so that means if you have to straddle the rock, try to have it go under the driver seat. Take it slow and a little bump often won't hurt anything - if it stops the vehicle its time for a spot. Following someone like Bob is also a good way to learn (I've seen him take some stock and lightly modified vehicles on some tuff trails) - it doesn't take long to get a feel for exactly where your tires are, and to begin seeing the 'line' or route through the rocks."

Good info for newbies and really anyone James.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Looking forward to this! I've been reading about the hike and I think that part is going to be a game-time decision. This write up http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weat...ames-peak-area talks about how it was 98 is Denver and 60 with wind at the trailhead; we're just out to have fun, if it's not the right day we'll get it next time. They also make a big deal about the 500' drop, to which I say Welcome to Colorado.