4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Sand Dunes and Medano Pass - 6/2 to 6/4

We went to the Great Sand Dunes over the weekend. Left early Friday morning and were there for a late lunch. I had checked the park site multiple times to see if Medano Pass was open. It kept saying closed. When we got to the park, the rangers said there was damage to the trail over the Winter. Unsure if it was an avalanche or some sort of slide. They said that it needed to be cleared before they could re-open it. Bummer...

Friday afternoon we played in the water until the clouds/storms rolled in. Once things cleared a bit we headed out on the 4wd road that leads to Medano.
    https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvis...guide-2015.pdf

We got probably 1/2 way between the Sand Pit and Castle Creek. Never saw anything too bad. I know that along this trail there used to be a section of sand that often required digging. Either we didn't go far enough, or it isn't as bad any more. The truck had the camper on the back and didn't blink at anything, but it was certainly worthy of 4wd - no car was going to get through.

Once we stopped on the trail, we decided to go sledding on the dunes. There are some particularly steep sections right in that area that are very close to the trail. Crossing the frigid cold river was exciting, but well worth it to slide down the sand!

After the sledding we returned to the main area of the park. Dinner was cooked at a day camp area (all the overnight spots were full). While we were cooking a few deer decided to see what was going on. The just casually walked through like we weren't even there.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Sand Dunes and Medano Pass - 6/2 to 6/4

Friday ended with us camping at Mountain Home State Park:
    https://freecampsites.net/#!51430&query=sitedetails

Little known place about 30 miles SE of the dunes. Free semi-rural camping. No real neighbors to worry about. It was a great site with peace and quiet. It is on a dirt road that is easily accessible by car in good weather. Some of the camp spots may be difficult to get to in a car, particularly in bad weather. The reservoir is absolutely at a high point. You can see in one of the photos were the tire tracks just disappear into the water. They typically go around the lake a bit to more camp spots. Also there is "normally" a sand/gravel beach!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Saturday morning we were up early - only 34 degrees out that morning. Sure was nice to have a heater in the camper overnight! We arrived back at the dunes by 7:00AM. This is peak season at the dunes. The temps are very nice, there is lots of daylight, and the river is running as high as it gets. The parking lot fills fast. It was already 1/2 full when we arrived at 7:00, and likely full by 8:00. Cars then had to start parking along the roadway. We stayed the entire day until 5:00 to make the most of it! Hiked about 500 vertical feet to the top of a dune. Played in the water the rest of the day. Enjoyed having the truck as a "base camp" to change clothes, eat, nap, etc. The river was flowing about 200' wide at the widest stretch, and about 18" deep at the deepest point. Most of the water was mere inches, or even less than an inch.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Saturday night we stayed at Mountain Home State Park again. It was basically on the way back to Denver, and was such a good spot the previous night that we couldn't pass it up. Great camping once again.

Sunday morning we were up early again, and on the road about 7:00AM. The drive back to Denver was relatively boring except for when we pulled up to a vehicle on La Veta Pass that was smoking. Our first thought was that it had overheated, but the "smoke" was so dense and huge that I had to wonder. We stopped and as I walked up, the guys mentioned they had been flat towing it. It was a Chevy S10 Blazer being pulled with a tow-bar, automatic transmission. They said that suddenly the rear wheels locked up and they pulled their truck over - there was a couple hundred feet of skid marks leading to the side of the road. I then noticed the entire inside of the S10 was full of smoke. They opened the door to show me, and when they shut it it began to fill with smoke again. My wife noticed a fire had started under the S10 - so we quickly detached the truck towing it, blocked the wheels on the S10, grabbed the fire extinguisher, and sprayed the underside. To no avail - the flames simply continued on the top/side of the transmission - and flaming oil continued to drip to the asphalt. 911 was called, and all we could do was wait. Since the nearest fire station was 20-30 minutes away (and probably a volunteer force), we decided not to stick around. The guys still had their running truck safely moved away. All we could be was spectators at that point, and we still had 4 hours of road ahead.

All in all, a good trip, with minimal excitement, and lots of good memories. Limited wheeling unfortunately, but sometimes it happens that way. We will be returning again for sure!

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Patrolman For This Post:

Brian (June 7th, 2017)

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

We were there Saturday as well and I remember seeing your rig there that day. Great place to get away. Great pics!

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,029 Posts

Bummer for the car fire - though gladly not yours. Great to hear you had a nice time!! Thx for the pix.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I love that area, thanks for the write up Jeff. We might just have to make it our first trip this year after I get our trailer ready.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Bummer I was going to ask how the water crossings were this time of year. I bet they are up a bit. I ran that about 9 years ago. We want to do it again this year.

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 981 Posts

Cheers Jeff - Looks nice. How were the mosquitoes? Sometimes they can be really bad this time of year around the Dunes and in the San Luis valley (or maybe just a bit later given the large snow pack).

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

The stream gets nasty with mosquitos! Anyone know if Hermit Pass is open?

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

There were no mosquitoes to be seen at all. The water is moving at a relatively good pace, so no place for them to sit in the stagnant pools. Once the water levels begin to drop a bit, I am sure that they will come out more.

When we were at the Mountain Home State Park, there were only a handful of gnats. No other bugs to be found their either. Again, the water is full with plenty of fresh water moving in to refill the reservoir. Everything was very green. It was great to see!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Doink previously posted:
    "We were there Saturday as well and I remember seeing your rig there that day. Great place to get away. Great pics!"

My rig is pretty hard to miss, particularly with the top up in the parking lot. It certainly is a unique and memorable rig with the camper!

The benefit of having the camper instead of the trailer is that we could park in a regular parking spot. There are limited RV spots available.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I hear ya, it gives me the itch to get another truck camper.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Thanks for sharing, it looks like an incredible trip! That Toyota is so cool.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

So the truck probably had 1,000lbs in the back of it, not to mention a large "sail", so it wasn't the fastest on this trip. We probably averaged 55-60mph along the trip. There were some areas along hwy 160 where we got a bad headwind, and the truck would only go about 45mph in 4th gear. The "good" news though is the little 22re managed to pull off 16.9mpg for the entire round trip (finally did the calculations tonight). Not too bad! Normally it gets about 20mpg in town, and about 21-22mpg on the highway unloaded.

Last Online
    September 7th, 2017
    4x4
    1975 Bronco Denver Edition
    User Name
    EKXJ87
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Thanks for sharing the photos very cool! we have always talked about making a trip to the Dunes, I really need to make that trip happen.