User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Default Re: Engine Diagnosis

Hypoid previously posted:
    "My intuition tells me you should make sure the Taco has been vacuumed out before you cross the state line.

I am surprised the machine shop did not condemn the main bearing cap you showed us."

Being more the Cactus Ed type - I should make sure to get the empty beer cans cleaned out more than vacuuming stuff that might be on the floor!

As I look into this more, there might be some issue with an electronically controlled carb. Actually, the carb is most likely a dual-jet (half a quadrajet) which is a good carb, but is tied to a computer that also controls the HEI. If its all working, then its a pretty good set-up as is (better than my pertonix and 2g carb), but one of my interests would be to put TBI (although some quadrajet carbs are amazing), and this could make things a bit more complicated.

just things to think about. There is also another member in NE who is interested and he is much closer and it may be destined for him.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

a quadrajet carb if tuned right will run very well, tell you change elevation by 2000+ feet.
    the electronic controled crabs are problumatic at best.
    the HEI distributers are a nice up grade yet I still lean to a mallory with a 6AL control box, mind you these are outdated now as well as the HEI stuff but the higer voltage they run to the plugs them self is a huge jump..

sounds like you are searching again. check with Republic park jeep he may have something. I know he is pricey but the guy knows his jeep stuff and has the hard to find stuff.
    when I saw him last (2 months or so) he had 4 of the 230 inlie 6 engines from Kisser.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

dieseldoc previously posted:
    "a quadrajet carb if tuned right will run very well, tell you change elevation by 2000+ feet.
    the electronic controled crabs are problumatic at best.
    the HEI distributers are a nice up grade yet I still lean to a mallory with a 6AL control box, mind you these are outdated now as well as the HEI stuff but the higer voltage they run to the plugs them self is a huge jump..

sounds like you are searching again. check with Republic park jeep he may have something. I know he is pricey but the guy knows his jeep stuff and has the hard to find stuff.
    when I saw him last (2 months or so) he had 4 of the 230 inlie 6 engines from Kisser."

Would guess my 2g carb doesn't do much better than 2000 ft elevation change either. That is just a design issue with all carbs - unless you can adjust the jet size externally. HEI stuff may be outdated by todays standard, but since I was running points and external resistor this time a year ago, pertronix with high voltage coil and internal resistor is upgrade, and HEI is more so. Its a 1970 jeep built with 1950s technology. I do keep toying with TBI, but the odd-fire is a challenge - but can probably solve that with a crank sensor. It is what it is, and I don't have too much interest to make it modern - If I get it back together at some point, I think I will have to just be a bit more conservative and enjoy driving it that way. Keep it on more moderate trails and not try to keep up with the rest of the crowd on here that have some stellar rigs.

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

Crank sensor was an add on to my jeep in its FI conversion...

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

I bet you you could make it an odd fire the lid with little issues.
    A ton of time yes but these days the Fuelie kits are so much easier than the old stuff.
    The computers in the new kits have base tunes now, unlike the older stuff that had to go to a runner just to get the engine to start.

James I live close to Repuplic park would you like me to stop by there and see what he has built and ready?
    I know he has a good selection of engines ready to go.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I try so hard to stay out of these debates....I guess I haven't had the worst possible experiences with Mike at Republic - but not sure I am going to give him much money unless he is the only option. FWIW - what little info I have on my engine from the PO, he rebuilt it the last time although not sure what what was requested by the owner but feel like some corners were cut in the rebuild from what I am finding out on this tear down. At the same time, that was 15-20 years ago, so its not like the engine rebuild didn't last very long although it was in storage for quite a lot of those years. I guess I would have expected hardened valve seats even then, and not the bronze valve stem liners, and much more moderate amounts of RTV for all of the heads and intake gaskets that then plugged some of the oil passages (and my mechanical guage pick-up a couple years ago), as well as painting the front of the block inside the front cover where the paint is peeling off. In short, not just from this experience, I don't have much to say about Republic...He has had a couple of items that are really hard to find and the price reflects that. But of he's the only one who has it, then I want to be able to do business with him. If someone else has the part...I go there even if its Ft Collins or the Springs or St Louis. As of yet - I have not been chased out of his shop or told not to come back, so I am happy to keep it that way. I have been sworn at and called stupid - and while true probably not the best customer service model. The times I've been in the back of his shop, I wouldn't want any sensitive work done - its a complete dirty, disorganized mess IMO. I have not been there (shop on federal) in a couple years - the last few time part searching i've given him a call. He always says he'll take a look and call back. Never calls back so I call back in a few days - says when he gets time he'll call - might have to check out in the big yard out east - then never calls back. I call him a 3rd time and he just say no. If he has a part I need at a price I am willing to pay, I will buy it, but anything that is 'worked on' I am not touching.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Spieg (October 22nd, 2016)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Crank sensor was an add on to my jeep in its FI conversion..."

Be happy to know more about how this was done.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

he his,federal location is a disaster area.
    The build shop is clean( different location)
    He is a total P.I.T.A for sure.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Wasn't going to say anything but since the subject is being discussed...
    I'll say that I won't do business with Republic .(emphatic period)

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Just out of curiosity, have you found and EFI system that does not try to control the spark advance?

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Be happy to know more about how this was done."

Some pictures. The sensor with wires coming from the end of it points at the v-belt dampener assembly. I think the v-belt dampener assembly part was original to the motor (don't know) and the crank sensor was the only addition. The motor's a 1990 4.2L with the MOPAR MPFI kit (you might be able to look up the parts list for how it was done).

Some links - the first two are crank sensor / harmonic dampener assembly parts (perhaps something would apply to your motor):
    http://www.hesco.us/products/7577/mo...-90--hes8790ed
    http://www.hesco.us/products/7577/mo...1-04-hes9199ed
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performa...08371/10002/-1

You might find this a nice read:
    http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=95

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (October 25th, 2016)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

"Just out of curiosity, have you found and EFI system that does not try to control the spark advance?"

Most of the EZ EFi and FiTech TBI have systems that do not control spark (most suggest HEI but i am fine with pertronix with good mechanical and vacuum advance). But they must get a good rpm signal to combine with throttle and O2 sensors for correct computer interpretation - this most easily would come from a coil wire much like an rpm gauge. The problem is the odd fire does not have a consistent time spacing between cylinder fires and thus the computer interprets an increase and decrease in rpm for every single cylinder that fires even at constant rpm. A rough dial rpm gauge kind of smooths this out for an average, but the TBI computers have some issue with this. I do have one friend with an odd-fire and EZ EFI and says it runs fine (the EZ EFI techs say its ok - not ideal but should work roughly). The Fi Tech people say absolutely no it won't work. Howell has also fought the issue and at the moment its unclear what they think. A crank sensor can be used in place of the coil signal for rpm, and that works whether even or odd fire.

Even if I get the tach signal figured out, I still have to figure out high pressure fuel delivery. Most systems come with a pump, but would need to route lines and get them connected to my tank pick-up that is not set-up for high pressure hard line fittings, and add to that I have two tanks with a switching mechanism and more complication. Could do it more easily with just a single tank and maybe that is the route I go. FiTech also have a fuel 'govenor' pump that can be run in combination and after the stock mechanical pump to keep all the old style lines and switches up stream. But it would definitely add some extra hosing and junk under the hood.

Not sure how much this old jeep is worth trying to build into more than it is. I'd like to run some harder trails, but maybe a 46 year old jeep built on 1950s tech should be considered fun as is for getting out on the easier to moderate trails.

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Some of what you wrote kicked some dust in my mind: Dad installed aftermarket cruise controls on several cars "way back". The cruise unit needed speed sensors. The kits came with a 1/8"x1/8"x1" magnet. The magnet would get glued onto one axle (vehicle speed). A sensor would then be placed to sense the magnet passing near it. Perhaps you could affix a magnet / sensor to your crank - onto the front dampener - if a dampener kit isn't available for your motor.

As for high pressure fuel... somewhat the same issue with mine. My sender assy is hacked up / not stock. High pressure (FI rated) fuel line onto a high pressure pump that sits with its intake 1/8" from the bottom of the flat tank.

As for your dual tank setup - if needed use a low pressure, electric "lift pump" to move fuel from the lower tank to the upper tank that has the high pressure fuel delivery pump (or have the high tank gravity feed to the lower tank and have the lower tank have the high pressure pump).

Those sensor / pump issues don't seem too crazy to ditch FI thoughts (though I don't know your pump mounting layout).

Some FI pump assy pix. The assembly was designed for mechanical / engine block suction pump. The assembly intake was hacked sawed off, rubber fuel line and pump connected. I needed to connect power to the pump through the top of the assembly. I "made" the insulator for positive power via white plastic washers and plastic tube. Between the two white washers, where the metal bolt (positive power) passes through the plate (ground), I believe I placed a nicely sized O-ring. Should the nylock nuts loosen to allow the bolt to move, the O-ring would keep it from sliding sideways to the ground plane (unless the two nylock locking nuts became quite loose, at which a spark would give a nice toasted jeep). I keep a bag of marshmallows with me at all times.

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

thank Jim. I do think the fuel delivery is the bigger issue in some ways. Crank sensor will definitely work, although I haven't look into them directly - it may be more expensive and require more parts than I think in terms of maybe a new harmonic balancer or something. When I installed the rear tank I put hard lines to the engine compartment with NPT fittings (kind of with this in mind), but have short low pressure rubber hose connectors at both the fuel pick-up and and fuel line switch in the engine compartment. I think I can get the fuel figured out either with the Fi-Tech governor pump or through running everything from the rear tank and then pumping reserve fuel from the underseat tank into the rear tank when needed. One issue with this will be fitting the high pressure line to the pick-up as well as how to connect the hose from the spare tank to the main tank. I was originally thinking I could use the return fuel inlet, but that will have to be high pressure connection for the FI return. I would need to mod the pick-up to have a 3rd inlet - but it could be low pressure. I could almost gravity feed fuel from the upper underseat tank to the lower rear tank and just have a on/off vavle to keep from overflowing the rear tank.

Lots to think about- all of it comes after getting the current engine back from the machine shop. Should know tomorrow whether the block has any cracks (magnaflux testing now) and then can begin machining work. Getting ready to hand over a chuck of cash so FI seems a bit off in the future until the funds replenish.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

"As I look into this more, there might be some issue with an electronically controlled carb. Actually, the carb is most likely a dual-jet (half a quadrajet) which is a good carb, but is tied to a computer that also controls the HEI. If its all working, then its a pretty good set-up as is (better than my pertonix and 2g carb), but one of my interests would be to put TBI (although some quadrajet carbs are amazing), and this could make things a bit more complicated."

I keep thinking about the even fire engine and don't understand why you are not adapting a stand-alone EFI system to it. You have to replace the engine anyway and it seems the junkyard should have most of the components you need.

What extra machine work is needed to adapt the even fire engine?

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

"I keep thinking about the even fire engine and don't understand why you are not adapting a stand-alone EFI system to it. You have to replace the engine anyway and it seems the junkyard should have most of the components you need.

What extra machine work is needed to adapt the even fire engine?"

You mean making my current block an even fire? It can be done - Its been a while since I read about it but since most all the internal are getting replaced anyway its not out of the question. I haven't ordered my parts kit and crank yet so maybe. Would depend on whether the heads are different as all the timing, ignition/distributor and crank are getting replaced as is.

As for the complete used even fire 231 in St Louis - decided I am not comfortable using an unknown engine without any history on it. The even fire is certainly set-up for TBI, but I as I got more info on it, its just a big question mark. Unknown when it last ran - at a minimum it been 7 years as that is how long the current owner has had it, but didn't buy running either. It also has an earlier model odd fire flywheel and some modifications done to the computer controlled carb systems. Nobody knows if the engine has been rebalanced with the different flywheel - and even fire engines have to be internally balanced so that could require some work. Not sure how much hassle the computer controlled carb system would be to deal with - even in terms of just replacing all of it with TBI. Just to ask - what is the issue with emissions on replacement engines. Don't ask...just put in the new engine and avoid any emissions as its registered as a classic and is exempt? So, spending $400 and a weekend of endless driving and gas for something that is an unknown and might need a lot of work, or maybe none, scared me off. If it truly was running - it would be a complete drop in engine. If my block can't be rebuilt then I may very well go that direction then.

I guess I also like to make things difficult! But there is some comfort in knowing that even if its a lot of money to rebuild the current engine, it should run for a long time - or at least until I eff something up, but no-one to blame but me. Got to remember that I don't really have any idea what I am doing - so the probability of me effing it up is a little larger. I guess I also a pay a premium for what keeping it more original means to me. Its not 100% stock or restored. But I do try to keep it sort of time period authentic. What that means is a little inconsistent and for the most part driven by my own personal feelings and not something that is easy to define. I am not sure I want to put on TBI for that exact reason - but it gets weighed against driveability, and specifically wheeling capability. But if that was all that mattered, then by any new JK out there and it would wheel better right off the showroom floor. I like the old stuff - but it doesn't satisfy to have an old rusty body on something that is all modern (or more modern) underneath. Anyway - the philosophical idea of a what a car should be is an unending discussion and a more expensive ideal. No rationale for it other than personal preference that isn't rooted in practicality.

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

While St. Louis is not high on your list (and I agree - the unknown condition of it)... I'll toss this out as a long term, low burn, back of your mind option: I will be driving CO to IL and back this Christmas. While I typically go I-80 through NE and IA, I have been known to do the "70 drive" as there is good BBQ in Kansas. _IF_ you wished a motor to be hauled west, I could stick it on my small trailer on the return trip...

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

"But there is some comfort in knowing that even if its a lot of money to rebuild the current engine, it should run for a long time"

Just keep in mind that a rebuild doesn't have to be a lot of money, it just has to be done right! What would really suck is dropping a load of cash into the motor, and then a couple years down the road it craps out. Making sure everything is done to spec is obviously the most important. If a shop is going to do all the work, they should have a solid reputation. This is particularly true with your motor since you really only get one shot at a rebuild on this block.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Absolutely true. But just the cost of the parts is pricey, and then add the machine work including valve seats and guides and its a lot of money. The machine work is being done by Spitfire. I am concerned that I will screw up the rebuild. I survived my TC and Transmission rebuilds, but I also screwed up a couple things. I am pretty sure I slightly damaged the 1-R syncronizer when trying to set the rear bearing and endplay so it doesn't shift into 1st as freely as I would like (but might loosen up with time). I also didn't replace the shift fork which has wear as well. And while the D18 TC is known for leaking, I hoped I could get it to seal up better. Probably should have replaced the yokes that wear a groove against the seal, and probably should have tried harder to get the pan/cover surface more flat. Looked like someone at some point over tightened the pan bolts (probably trying to stop the leaking) and warped both the pan cover and case surface so its hard to seal properly. Lots of little things that you don't expect and learn by doing.

This jeep was/is cheap - it's a learning project I guess, and since it doesn't really have any 'value' to begin with, if I screw it up its not a huge loss. But the engine is definitely an order of magnitude larger in cost than most projects. Yea - I don't want to waste money on a screwed up rebuild, but I also don't want to do nothing paralyzed by concern over screwing it up. Some people have the expertise for this project - I don't so I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is an acceptable or reasonable path forward considering the monetary risk. Plus, for me, while I enjoy learning and developing skills to keep an old jeep running...its done with the intent to drive it. I am not in to just working on a long term project rebuild/restoration. Or maybe if that was the route, then I would need something else to wheel. So its always a balance of working on it and driving it. As said before, the worst that can happen is I blow it up...and its not worth that much to begin with or have that much invested monetarily before this engine project.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Here is a used 225 engine for $75 - in Montana though. I may have a friend who lives there and comes this direction from time to time.

https://helena.craigslist.org/pts/5792048673.html

One in NY for $100

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/pts/5749883856.html

I just searched AdHuntr really quick by date to see what was out there. It searches all of Craiglist ads.

http://www.adhuntr.com/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast