1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 979 Posts

Default Engine Diagnosis

My clutch problem and crank noise thread ended with me saying 'the worst that could happen is I blow up the motor'....well maybe it happened. I had to get towed out of Twin Cone this weekend and drug it home. Trying to figure out a plan for diagnosis. The engine runs but with a horrible misfire - its not backfiring through the carb but it sounds so far off that I don't really want to run it much. The misfire is accompanied by a good knocking sound, though not a 'heavy' or 'deep' knock that might be associated with the crank. Instead its more of a clack sound that might be associated with valve train - and the sound seems to come from high up on top of the engine block. There is also a sound that is a rapid 'spinning of gears' sound. Kind of a very fast 'clicking' sound. A main crank bearing may still be the root cause of all this. There was no obvious discoloration to the oil such as coolant due to a head gasket leak. Anyway all this is guessing...what to do next...

On the trail we checked the plugs, only 1 of the 6 looked to indicate good combustion; the other 5 were heavily fouled and overly rich (although some of that is due to my fixed carb jets that do not adjust for the high elevation). But even after cleaning the plugs the misfire was still horrible. There is also plenty of fuel getting there as well. So ...things I can do and check include, timing, spark, compression and vacuum. Trying to figure out what would be the best order minimize running and damaging it farther.

1) Start with removing valve cover and look for anything obviously screwed up. Turn engine by hand and look for valve movement (assuming I can differentiate valve movement from rocker movement).

2) Then compression check? Should I do this first? Doesn't require engine running (just cranking the starter) to see that valves are closing or stuck open?

3) I am trying to figure out a way to check timing without running the engine much - but may have to be done if nothing else is obvious. I may have a damaged timing chain or tensioner.

4) Go back and check the crank for more play if a bearing there has gone bad. Pull the oil pan and see what's going on.

5) Vacuum check can be helpful - but requires running engine.

What am I missing? Other things to check? Donations for the rebuild costs?

thanks

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,022 Posts

Default Re: Engine Diagnosis

My two cents:
    Pull plugs (and keep in order for comparison to condition to matching cyl)
    Pull valve cover and give a visual inspect.
    Compression check for each cyl - no need to add oil to each cyl (just keep throttle wide open). While cranking for compression check, look at camshaft / valve operation for unusual slop movement.

At the end you'll have:
    plugs out, matched to cyls (I imagine they'll stay out for a bit)
    compression test number for each cyl
    visual for valve operation for each cyl

From there, you might be pulling the pan and removing end caps for bearing surface inspection.

only my two cents.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 13th, 2016)

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Ditto. Compression test to start and check the plugs to start. You put together a pretty comprehensive list to start. Timing chain, ignition timing, etc. Pulling the valve covers and oil pan are easy enough to do just to see if there is anything obvious.

You are running the Buick 225 right? I blew my motor in Utah in my CJ-6 years ago. It was belching blue smoke and going through oil like crazy. Never figured it out, just replaced it with a used one from a guy who rolled his CJ-5. Good news is those engines don't have a ton of demand, so they are cheap for a used one. Bad news is they might be hard to find.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I'd lean toward the timing chain having slipped a tooth. Maybe turn the motor to top-dead-center and see where the distributer is pointing (compare to spec for your motor).

6. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Spieg For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 13th, 2016),Jim (September 13th, 2016)

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Slow progress is occurring - not sure what it all means just yet. Pulled valve covers - all looks good to the untrained eye. Nothing obviously bent, cracked, broken, damaged etc. I guess its possible a pushrod is bent down below the valve area towards the camshaft where I can't see, but seems to be better things to check first. There is no brass in the oil in the valve area or on the dipstick. Ran compression test (dry no warm up): 135, 140, 138, 150, 140, 150 respectively for cylinders 1-6. Spec is 150-165, so some are a bit low but its an old engine and while not good its not the issue (just another one to put on the list for down the road). The main thing is that the compression test indicates a valve is not sticking open (correct?). I didn't get a chance to crank it and see the valve action with the covers off - sorry not enough hands to be in the cab cranking and see the engine bay. Maybe I can do that tomorrow.

Interesting to note, even though I quickly cleaned the plugs in the field the other day, and it only ran for a minute or so, all the plugs were soot fouled again. So I am moving to timing and spark issues. I am going to follow Spieg's advice and see if the rotor is pointing at #1 for TDC - I have mark on the distributor housing from a bunch of distributor and pertronix work I did a couple years ago. It may very well have had issues with timing chain - I've never seen mine but I understand the 225 ones often have a nylon portion to the either the chain or tensioner that can be a weakspot. If that looks good then I will try to verify I am getting spark to all the plugs. I put a new coil in last year but coils can be funny.

Back to my regularly scheduled job of grading papers all night...

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "Ditto. Compression test to start and check the plugs to start. You put together a pretty comprehensive list to start. Timing chain, ignition timing, etc. Pulling the valve covers and oil pan are easy enough to do just to see if there is anything obvious.

You are running the Buick 225 right? I blew my motor in Utah in my CJ-6 years ago. It was belching blue smoke and going through oil like crazy. Never figured it out, just replaced it with a used one from a guy who rolled his CJ-5. Good news is those engines don't have a ton of demand, so they are cheap for a used one. Bad news is they might be hard to find."

Yea, you can find a lot of cheap/free 225s that need rebuilt. Running ones are not that common (even in jeeps as I can attest).

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

If you want to watch the valve train move with the covers off, just put a wrench on the crank pulley and turn by hand. I typically do that anyways. Then I can see everything move in slow motion.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

You could also "jump" the starter solenoid (the low amp side that powers the solenoid) to be at the engine bay and not behind the steering wheel.

A history less of mine: 1968 Ford 302. I replaced the timing chain - and it had the nylon components. One small chunk of plastic broke off and went into the oil pan (I don't recall if I knew of it happening before "the issue"). It ended up getting sucked into the oil pump where it seized the pump. That resulted in me calling that motor done and I put in a short block. Bottom line - check for any missing pieces of plastic that could be pulled into your lubrication circuit.

Last Online
    August 2nd, 2023
    4x4
    78 BJ40 Land Cruiser and 2005 4runner
    User Name
    78bj40
    Real Name
    Louis
    Thanks Given

Drop the oil pan and inspect anything that is visible

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I am leaning toward spark. Take one of the plug wires and hold it about 1/8" from a good ground point on the block. Crank the engine and observe the color of the spark that jumps from to wire to ground. Is it yellow, is it blue???

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Timming.
    Sounds like,you have a timming issue and the weak cylinder is making the miss fire even worse.

I have had chains skip in all sorts of jeeps....the older stuff had issues for sure.

You do have a few that are a bit lower than desired but the engine was running.

How does it turn when done by hand? Plugs out will be easier.

You can use the old stethoscope trick to narow down where the knock is comming from.
    I used to have a mechanics scope.....was way nice for this type of work.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Checked three things:
    1) the rotor is aligned with #1at tdc so dont think it jumped a tooth.
    2) I also checked slack in the chain by manually turning the crank back and forth and observing the nymber if degrees before the rotor responded. Its about 8 degrees which is ok.
    3) finally got another set of eyes to help me look at the valve movement. I turned the crank by hand (which really can only be done from below while Jen watched the valves and noted that all the valves moved up and down at some point. So that combine with the compression test means I am leaving that alone for now. Also along those lines, my FSM indicates that my compression while a bit low, is perfectly within range when comparing across cylinders - specs require the lowest compression cylinder to be no less than 75% of the highest. Its just a bit tired.
    So I guess I am moving to spark.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

If the spark is good, move on to fuel....

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "If the spark is good, move on to fuel...."

thanks - that is the idea. I did a resistance check on all the plugs wires and cap contacts - looks good. Rotor and distributor are solidly in place (and no points to worry about since I replaced with pertonix induction trigger. So will start it up with timing light and see how it looks. Will also check spark at plug (don't like doing that). I have an oil filled aftermarket coil and wondering if somehow the bouncing around offroad is causing some sort of issue with the oil filled coil and dampening spark. I wanted a solid ceramic coil but the price was right for this packaged pertronix set - but I could easily put in a new solid coil.

My oil bath air filter can also cause problems on steep angles and the oil bath can dump some oil into the carb throat and - that is what I though was initially happening out on the trail, but it usually burns off and cleans up pretty quickly. Maybe it caused an issue in the carb though that needs addressing.

Getting there....

Last Online
    March 28th, 2020
    4x4
    '12 JKU
    User Name
    fredrok
    Real Name
    Fred
    Thanks Given

Hey Fino,
    I'm no odd-fire Dauntless expert but I've been turning wrenches and troubleshooting a long damn time to include a shop foreman at a race engine machine shop in my past life. I've seen some weird *****. Would be glad to head over and give you a hand if we can make our scheds work out. Lemme know

One thing about the Petronix stuff is that unlike points, they are difficult to troubleshoot unless you have a "spare" to throw on.

18. The Following Member Says Thanks to fredrok For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 15th, 2016)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

My mind has been in the field of "this engine is making unusual noises". Is this a correct thought?

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

fredrok previously posted:
    "Hey Fino,

One thing about the Petronix stuff is that unlike points, they are difficult to troubleshoot unless you have a "spare" to throw on."

I do have a spare distributor with points already installed ready to go that I carry as a spare with a coil as well that I know works - seemed easier on the trail to just get a tow out and bring her home instead of messing with it there. If I get a chance tonight I will check spark and as well as try replacing coil and distributor with my spares (separately of course).

I don't think 'odd-fires' are all that different - I guess I know some sbc experts that know every detail and every option of compatibility and swaps etc. But other than a slight difference in how the spark timing is designed (not equally spaced - thus odd fire), as long as the distributor cam and camshaft are designed, you don't notice a difference. Its more of an issue if your mixing parts or trying to make high performance aftermarket parts work - and really just engine internals tied to ignition and valve movement.

As Jim said - it had such a bad knock and misfire that I didn't want to run it any until I knew the valves and compression were within reason as well as timing chain hadn't jumped. I guess it could still be something major down like some severe wear on the camshaft lobes that show valve movement but is so far off that it won't run right or something tied to worn crank bearings. But hopefully fire it up tonight and check spark and ignition systems as well as spray in some carb cleaner to ensure I don't have to much oil residue in there from the oil bath.

I keep looking at other old jeeps and willys - there are some interesting 50-60s willys wagons floating around. Why do I want an even older, less functional vehicle with lots of potential problems? One day I can do it right - not just keep it running - but actually tear it down and rebuild it from the bottom up. Sheesh - it might even get a wash and some new paint!

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Sounds like you are doing every thing in the right order.
    Member to K.I.S. it.....keep it simple

Keep pluging along you will find the issue.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Update: cleaned up the plugs really well, checked the mechanical advance on the rotor - seems to be functioning - and put everything back together. It started right up but with a little rough idle and a loud clacking sound. I sprayed quite a bit of carb cleaner and adjusted the carb mix back for denver elevation which helped smooth out the idle a bit and checked initial timing is right were I set it (8*BTDC). There is nothing wrong with the spark or timing or anything like that. Actually, the engine seems to run pretty well except for the loud clack and just a bit of a exhaust 'puft' that sounds just a bit like a very weak misfire. I think its coming from the right bank but not sure. I put a rubber hose to my ear and didn't get much help except when I removed the oil fill cap on the right valve cover and put the hose above the open hole - then I got the really loud clack right in my ear. I did the same over the open breather hole on the left valve cover and it was there as well but not quite as prominent. I also get the sound but a bit weaker if I put the hose tight against the oil pan. I also noticed my oil pressure was a bit low - even for the normally low pressure these 225s run. It ramps up with throttle but wasn't doing much at idle. The oil is right at a quart low - its been time for a change so I haven't added any. That might be the reason for the low pressure?

Anyway, because I like to make more work for myself, and need some fresh oil, I decided to drain and drop the oil pan and take a look - this little project has brought to my attention just how oily everything is mostly due to a rear main seal leak so might as well replace that. Just got it off (was a PIA) and haven't inspected much. The screen at the oil pick-up has some metal in it - so that will be good to clean out. It looks like there is some sort of splash or protective pan under the crank that I will have to remove to see the crank bearings and replace the seal. That will be for another day.

As I generally like to have a working but flexible hypothesis - I am still concerned about the right bank valve train. This sound seems to be the loudest rocker or pushrod clack I've heard.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "That might be the reason for the low pressure?"

No. If oil is "too low" to not be able to be picked up by the oil pump (that screen with some metal in it), oil pressure (and more importantly oil flow to the parts that need it) will be zero. If oil is high enough to be present and sucked up by the oil pump, pressure will be what the pressure is.

What are your compression test numbers? Is a cyl nearest the clacking noise unusually lower than the other cyls?

Is this an overhead cam motor (I'm thinking not, but wish to ask)?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast