So I am reading about Redneck's YJ build and trying to learn something and it is like reading Greek -- I will keep reading all of your technical posts and I am sure over time I will learn things. Oh I get some of what ya'll are talking about but Mods are the last thing I am working on! I am just trying to learn about the truck. THE BASICS!
I did get a bit greasy though this weekend and my hiccups are so frustrating! When I ran it the last time I got a misfire on cylinder 1. So, I looked that up. Found a good long list and what is nuthin' for you guys is a major endeavor for me. I have most of the parts to trouble shoot most of the list but wow, that is a long list!! LOL I started with the easiest stuff ('cause it all needs to be done anyway).
The first thing was a basic tune up and changing out the spark plugs. LOL Had Jon not been there to pull old wires OFF old plugs and get half the old plugs started I am not sure where I would be. I am glad I had new wires too because it took channel-locks to get all of them off. They were cemented on there; they had not been changed in forever! But Jon just got them started (he was in the shop working on the bumper for the RV) for me I really DID do the rest! Even looked up the torque specs and everything!
Don't laugh. I know this is all falling off a log for you
So I got all the plugs changed, got the wires changed and the rotor (and I put it back where it was and having cell phones with cameras is a great tool just in case). I laid out all my wires and worked one plug and one wire at a time; I still marked the wires with a silver Sharpy just in case. The gaps on the old plugs were nearly twice what they should be. Why would that have been? Got two plugs in and found a washer -- **** -- pulled the two plugs I already had in to figure out which one it went to (yes you may laugh).Then came the distributor cap, grrr. One bolt came out fine and the other snapped. There is about a half an inch of it left sticking up -- put lots of Deep Creep in it and will head out there this morning to see if I can get it to go with vice grips. If not -- new distributor and I don't wanna!! It isn't the cost of the part so much as the pain of the process!
Of course you all recall the first major project was that exhaust manifold (that was epic). Well the rest of the exhaust is a little bit like rice paper -- you can put your finger through most of it. So I ordered all new exhaust from the manifold back including the cat. That should be here this week. I do need to pick up one more 02 sensor as I had no idea there WERE two (I will have to check to see which one I have). Funny when I first got Harriet, I bought all the little parts that I KNEW had gone out on my old 1989 that I drove for years -- I figured even if it didn't need them now, it would one day. That '89 Jeep took me and my dog from nearly the Mexican border to the Canadian border and on mostly dirt roads -- golly those were fun road trips! I had a little trouble around Mount St. Helen's as my map was PRE-eruption and the roads were ALL different after half the mountain exploded (yes old maps and before the days I could afford AAA and "free" maps).
Anyway, that is the latest. I don't think Harriet had much care and feeding over the years. New surprises all the time!
Thank you all again for your comments and insight.