Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: LOL In Comparison with others I laugh at me!

Last Online
    December 9th, 2016
    4x4
    1999 XJ AND 2010, Dodge, Cummins, 4x4, 1-ton
    User Name
    RockyMtnGal67
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

Default LOL In Comparison with others I laugh at me!

So I am reading about Redneck's YJ build and trying to learn something and it is like reading Greek -- I will keep reading all of your technical posts and I am sure over time I will learn things. Oh I get some of what ya'll are talking about but Mods are the last thing I am working on! I am just trying to learn about the truck. THE BASICS!

I did get a bit greasy though this weekend and my hiccups are so frustrating! When I ran it the last time I got a misfire on cylinder 1. So, I looked that up. Found a good long list and what is nuthin' for you guys is a major endeavor for me. I have most of the parts to trouble shoot most of the list but wow, that is a long list!! LOL I started with the easiest stuff ('cause it all needs to be done anyway).

The first thing was a basic tune up and changing out the spark plugs. LOL Had Jon not been there to pull old wires OFF old plugs and get half the old plugs started I am not sure where I would be. I am glad I had new wires too because it took channel-locks to get all of them off. They were cemented on there; they had not been changed in forever! But Jon just got them started (he was in the shop working on the bumper for the RV) for me I really DID do the rest! Even looked up the torque specs and everything!

Don't laugh. I know this is all falling off a log for you

So I got all the plugs changed, got the wires changed and the rotor (and I put it back where it was and having cell phones with cameras is a great tool just in case). I laid out all my wires and worked one plug and one wire at a time; I still marked the wires with a silver Sharpy just in case. The gaps on the old plugs were nearly twice what they should be. Why would that have been? Got two plugs in and found a washer -- **** -- pulled the two plugs I already had in to figure out which one it went to (yes you may laugh).Then came the distributor cap, grrr. One bolt came out fine and the other snapped. There is about a half an inch of it left sticking up -- put lots of Deep Creep in it and will head out there this morning to see if I can get it to go with vice grips. If not -- new distributor and I don't wanna!! It isn't the cost of the part so much as the pain of the process!

Of course you all recall the first major project was that exhaust manifold (that was epic). Well the rest of the exhaust is a little bit like rice paper -- you can put your finger through most of it. So I ordered all new exhaust from the manifold back including the cat. That should be here this week. I do need to pick up one more 02 sensor as I had no idea there WERE two (I will have to check to see which one I have). Funny when I first got Harriet, I bought all the little parts that I KNEW had gone out on my old 1989 that I drove for years -- I figured even if it didn't need them now, it would one day. That '89 Jeep took me and my dog from nearly the Mexican border to the Canadian border and on mostly dirt roads -- golly those were fun road trips! I had a little trouble around Mount St. Helen's as my map was PRE-eruption and the roads were ALL different after half the mountain exploded (yes old maps and before the days I could afford AAA and "free" maps).

Anyway, that is the latest. I don't think Harriet had much care and feeding over the years. New surprises all the time!

Thank you all again for your comments and insight.
    Regards,
    RMG

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Re: LOL In Comparison with others I laugh at me!

Sometimes we all have to get out of our comfort zone. Props for your willingness to take chances!

Last Online
    22 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

- We all had to stand on that log for a first time!

- Photos before something comes apart can be quite handy!

- Torque wrenches are our friends (I have a tendency to over tighten & strip / break things).

- Old plugs & large gap: Both electrodes probably started to wear (get eaten away) to cause the large gap.

- Dist cap: Before replacing, see if you can dremel or hack saw off the old dist cap to get better access to the busted cap screw?

Good work!

Last Online
    September 7th, 2017
    4x4
    1975 Bronco Denver Edition
    User Name
    EKXJ87
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Your XJ build is looking great!
    I'm not sure if your using any anti-seize but I'd recommend using it on most item's is a shop must have for me, and for stubborn bolts try heating the area (if possible) by using a hand torch with propane or mapp gas works wonders especial for removing exhaust bolts.

Last Online
    39 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

We have all been there and will be again. I am rebuilding my transfer case and transmission. Its a couple days job for the experienced. I am 4 weeks in and have already wasted some good new parts from effing it up the first time.

Take lots of photos. Heating and cooling is your friend with stuck bolts etc.