4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

Default anniversary run breakage and warn parts

okay now those of you at the run and even remotely near the wall heard the overwhelming pow that my hub made when I tried to best the wall. now I cant find a diagram of what I need exactly for beans but somehow the center gear in the hub that slides in and out to engage the hub to the axle was shoved outward with enough force to completely enlarge and mushroom out the 3 layer thick spring steel snap ring that holds the hub guts together. there are 2 of the snap rings per hub one outside and one inside. in every single snap ring and rebuild kit I found no one has this ring. and from a bit of internet looking and asking at predator 4x4 this ring is supposed to be a part that fails if the needle bearing that supports the stub axle is bad but mine are good and I'm still not sure how the central gear of the hub was forced out with that much force. tried to email warn about this and see about getting this ring but heard nothing back. called a few days later and within 2 minutes the guy on the line said he wasn't sure exactly what snap ring I needed of the ones he had (hard to explain on the phone which ring it is) and sent me parts free of charge. now I get a next day air mail package with not a few snap rings but 2 of the rings I needed the outer snap ring axle snap ring spacers wave washer snap ring from older style warn hubs the fingered disc in the cap for 2 different versions the wave spring on the center cap and 2 bolt kits one small bolt and one big bolt along with more rings and parts I don't have in this version.. there is at least 40-50 bucks worth of stuff they sent free of charge. I know some people don't like warns prices but this is my first failure of their product and they went overkill on the customer support. I went through my dads box of hub parts and made a set of spicer style default to lock to avoid the default to open that warn does which I had to overcome to get out of china wall (so did rick and yes we both did the whole thing in 2WD) but these will work very nicely if I want to go back to them and are now my spare set I can take with me in a nice compact package. on a side note still the only winch I will run on my Jäger.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Robert B For This Post:

Rick (April 4th, 2016)

Last Online
    30 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

Default Re: anniversary run breakage and warn parts

For parts that are built sufficiently to then be RE-built - paying extra up front (in hopes the MFR is around down the road) does have benefits.

Years back, I had a comment from a community high school district super - he said if he was looking at two competing software programs for the schools to use (student records type of stuff), if it came down to a tie-braker, he would choose the more costly company that charged routine subscription money. Logic - they would have ongoing funds to keep them in business to support the program years down the road.

Long term thinking.

You just received some long term benefit (with props to Warn).

Nice to hear the good customer service from'm!