4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Default Re: LOCKERS LOCKERS AND MORE LOCKERS

my spelling sucks sorry and I offten don't prof read.....

next this is his 3-4 thread asking the same things.
    as always get your platform then figure put what fits.

experiace (and there is a ton of it) shpws that the wilder the built and more odd things stuffed into a jeep makes it harder to get the things you need out in say moab or apple valley let alon beuana vista.

bust up some custom axle 1000 miles from home and well you kinda gett'n it up the pipe hard, joe schmo parts house cant get you that cromo x-length 35 spline inner shaft....the might get you a outer stub shaft for a d44.
    so by the time you supplier opens monday and you over night a part.......just to get you bigger better badder heap home

the time spent doung the research is worth its # in unubtainium ( thd super epencive additive they slather all 4x parts in)

as a guy who buils his own stuff and get the parts that can be scrounged up in a local junk yard in joe hillbilly rinky dink town,
    the big bad stuff is cool but most them guys have a magazine or show or a personal account to rival that kind of budget....
    it just not that practical to go with way oyt there stuff....

current jeep frames from the Yj are full boxed frome the factory.
    thus more fab work to stifffen them up for 450 plus hp.
    there is a good resion the factory has not build a hellcat rubi....
    not saying they couldn't the parts are there right from the dodge truck parts line up....
    the frame wont like it.
    thus why guys cug them up and fab in with 2xe or 2x4 rectangle tube .250 wall anh up.....

ya the new RCV may be better to service(have not seen them yet) but they do need more care.
    a true d44 has stronger shafts an a bigger ring n pinion but they still have small thin tubes.
    trusses are added to theses on the regular. the will bend....not if but when
    even a dynatrac d44 will bend.
    example Mikes red Darango has bent the short side of his this last month oe so.
    so a 360 gaser 300hp ish a darango and 35's
    so not a heavy truck not a big tire abd a bent housing going to cost him a grand to fix this custom axle that cost him 8500!

yya wheeling style is huge......
    but I have seen a 91 dodge d60 on 37's and 4.88, from under a cummins spit shafts u juint and locking hubs with all of 1.6l of suzuki fury

so again its about building it right.
    hell I have even reconsidered my axle choise I have a D44/9 inch that are trussed locked w/4.88
    I am going D60 front an rear as 37's a slip on the rocks w/ some wheel spin and well bang it generaly what ya hear....

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

bring us an idea of what ya want to run so info can be given w/ direction.....

example:
    00-04 dakota 4x4 v8 w/ intent on hemi caner after stiock engine goes belly up
    40 inch creepy craws on 17inch steel w/ staun internal locks
    auto trans w/ extra cooler to handle the ctwaling heat
    atlas 4.3 or 5.0 gears through a np231 low range as dubbler. right hand drop
    axles were going to be the D44/9" but a set of D60's will be fitted here so the over all cost will be lower....less busted stuff.
    108-112 wheel base linked front coil overs using a triagulated set up.....

this type of thing give a direction to be able to give a locker recomendation....
    like rear detroit and front ARB

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    06 TJ 6speed :D
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

07-12 Jeep Wrangler - V8 Swap once engine dies
    38 inch Falkens on 17 inch procomp with weld beadlocks
    8 speed Auto(This should be out by the time Ido the swap if not 6speed)
    Atlas 4.3(Going to run the stock case till that thing blows up though)
    Axles(Nothing is set in stone) Dynatrac 60s possible 80 rear (Might go with the DANA 60s from Mopar)
    Wheelbase - Thinking factory might stretch it but idk it already pretty long.
    Lockers -IDK this what this page is alot about.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

so ya any of the big lockers works for you ( air / mechanical / electric) its all down to what little quirks you want to take on they should all run around the one grand mark so any work also the only things you need to really look at to pick a locker is the axle, the final ring and pinion ratio and thats about it. then it comes to just pick which animal to tame and learn. dont really need much of the other parts to be known as it wont affect it much minus one single detail which is in automatic transmissions a detriot will basically never let go as the driveshaft will have tension on till just before stopping so i would go ARB or Electric.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Or - just sell it and buy one of these?

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Spieg previously posted:
    "Or - just sell it and buy one of these?
    "

HAHA that thing is a piece of junk lol sorry

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

That 3 axle ting is a one off. It has yet to be seen on any thing worthy of an axle snap....
    Its cool but theress a resion they put the rear axles they did in it. Through shaft required.
    Most of you have not seen the inside of one of them axles....
    Has an extra cross shaft in there...can be lock as well.

So that frame is no longer factory.....
    The built the snot out of it...

So no apples to apples there.

And as stated abouve detroit and autos stay bound up tell the trans lets loose at a stop or shifted to nutral

Last Online
    December 19th, 2017
    4x4
    2001 Jeep TJ Sport and 2002 SD 250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
    User Name
    Geno
    Real Name
    Gene Blohm
    Thanks Given

I am on my second ARB front and rear set-up 4x4. I have had only 2 air line leaks in 20 years of running ARBs. First was a front in in my 73 bronco in 1989 where the attachment mount came loose and the tube got pinched/kinked/cracked and leaked. The 2nd time, was in my TJ was last summer pulling another TJ up and out of Hackett Gulch, {it had a broken rear axle shaft}, the constant 3k+RPM pull got my factory dual cats on the driver side of my I-6 so hot that the line got a hole melted in it, it was mounted on the upper control arm. ARB defaults to 4 spider gear open. Re-did line in heat shield material when fixed. ARB use standard gear oil and does not require any special service other than leaving enough slack in lines at first set-up and keeping them out of harms way. I am running Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60s front and rear with 4:88 and 37 BFG KO2s in my TJ. I AM PRO ARBs.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

Seriously Brandon, you need to do some research on your own and let folks around here fill in gaps. You have a history of buying a truck, not maintaining it and breaking things and then selling it to get something bigger and badder. You are on track to having the sweetest rig in CO that can't complete Yankee Hill. Your rig is already superior to your knowledge and driving ability. You don't listen and will just repeat with a new similar thread in a few months. I searched FR 4x4 for a locker thread and found one started by you before with your XJ. I found some other good ones too, if you click on the links it will take you to some good information
    http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...0258#post80258
    https://www.google.com/search?sitese...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cesare Pavese

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to xaza For This Post:

Rick (January 4th, 2016)

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

MultiScuf previously posted:
    "07-12 Jeep Wrangler - V8 Swap once engine dies
    38 inch Falkens on 17 inch procomp with weld beadlocks
    8 speed Auto(This should be out by the time Ido the swap if not 6speed)
    Atlas 4.3(Going to run the stock case till that thing blows up though)
    Axles(Nothing is set in stone) Dynatrac 60s possible 80 rear (Might go with the DANA 60s from Mopar)
    Wheelbase - Thinking factory might stretch it but idk it already pretty long.
    Lockers -IDK this what this page is alot about."

You're talking about an expensive rig here. Ballpark,

07-12 jk: $10-20k
    wheels/tires $5k
    v8 swap: at least $20k done professionally
    axles: $20k

That's easily $60k in just the opening discussion. Could it be done cheaper? Sure, if you can do a v8 and axle swap by yourself (I can't).

Having spent more money than I care to admit running 35s on a daily-driver JK (100k miles) that I occasionally wheel, make sure you have deep pockets if you're really trying to run 38s and a v8.

Did you win the lottery or something? If so, awesome. Head over to Northridge in Longmont/Mead and have them build you a monster JK and enjoy the hell out of it.

My advice... drive what you have, spend your extra money on actually traveling to drive the rig (Moab, Grand Junction, Buena Vista/Salida, etc), and start putting money into either a house or retirement (Got that covered already? Excellent).

Oh, back to lockers.... For a moderate rig, Eaton/Detroit TrueTrac front and back. Not a locker, but the next best thing. I put one in the rear when I shredded the gears in my D44. Ran out of cash to put one in the front. If price isn't a concern, ARB front/rear.

Last Online
    December 8th, 2020
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

What trails do you want to do that require this built of a rig? Or is it just to say you have a built rig? You mentioned you go to "shows"- is all this for your build board thing that you hold your hood open with at the show?

you said in the opening post that price isn't an issue. If that's the case, go talk to a professional builder. Tell them what you want and they will iron out all these details- all you have to do is sign over those heaps of cash that aren't a concern.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

unlike all these against the dream rig i will try to help with some info and say go for it ... plus im all for a V8 not a fan of the jeep 6 cylinder..... here we go.
    first off
    ExplorerTom previously posted:
    "you said in the opening post that price isn't an issue."

context buttercup context. this was referring to the lockers only in which case if one has about $1400 to spend they can pick any locker as that is the most expensive one (ARB locker).

-next i dont see much for 38 inch tires but 37 has more options so id go that route and how the bloody hell do you get a 5K estimate for tires and wheels?? even a set of 40 inchers i dont get all the way to that price unless its with interco or some belted monster tire.
    im looking at $1350-2000 for real beadlocks depending on steel or aluminium and how many bolts (i prefer steel but both work)
    and for 37 inch tires around $1625 or so for some BFG KO2 as you will be doing more on road driving so mud tires are not the best (mine burn up extremely fast)
    **these are for sets of 5 so dont try to get smart**

-20K for the v8 swap seems high to me but i guess if they went around $12500 for install maybe. no idea why it would be that high but ehh
    -long block coyote engine is $6700
    -wiring and stand alone fully programmable controls for engine $1500
    -brand new 4l80E based 6 speed with ford small block bellhousing about $8000 *stand alone fully programmable controller and shifter (3 styles to choose) included* not 100% sure if offer 4wd version also but you can also buy your original 6 speed transmission and get a stand alone control system.
    -ford small block adjustable engine mount kit $170 may not be full bolt on for JK as i heard the frame got wider for the V6 and i dont see a kit specifically for the JK but if narrowing is all that is needed thats easy to do
    -as jeeps have factory belly pans and the vertical nature of a gm transmission mount that can be made of some 1X2 steel tube easily and if it needs to be dropped some it can be notched and bent easily also

- yes the axles are about 25-30 K ( id do a few upgrades like chevy brakes and full float rear end) according to Predator recently but if you can either deal with the full width 60s ( about $1750-2000 for craigslist set) or are willing to take them somewhere to get shortened you can get those, rebuild and or shorten them for around $4000-5000. if you shorten them make sure you get the exact dimensions on the axle shafts so you can have them or someone else cut another set if needed ** you can also get a rear 60, or bigger, from the junkyard for about $125 but fronts are very hard to find**
    -JK 4 link front truss system including all mounts and spring buckets for Ford Dana 60 $415
    - Dana 60 crossover steering arm $115-140 depending on style
    -did not find a rear 60 yet but JK rear 14bolt truss system with all mounts $350
    these are designed to use the factory JK frame mounts for the axle

atlas transfer case is self explanatory and i will be going this route or a stakk box when my current one blows up also

for lockers where this started if we go with what i think is the best selectable ARB here are the prices
    -Dana 60 4.56 and up case $1157 per
    -ARB compressor for locker $275

this comes to $22,819 - 23,469

now there are a few missing parts like the flexplate and torque converter, either a universal air box for engine or adapt the factory one. any little brackets or cables to adapt the emergency brake system. may have to buy a transfer case adapter or input shaft or if you do go the atlas then just order it to match the new transmission there may be some other costs or options with the transmission to get 4wd or things to change or adapt as i can only go off of what the website says but its a good start. you can most likely also go with what ever ford transmission you had in mind ( prefer the 6 speed personally as 8 speeds do nothing but shift all the time) and buy a stand alone wiring kit for that one instead. if you need a bigger lift kit then any factory style will work with these parts so thats up to preference on which brand you want. there are most likely other pieces or brackets or things to buy / modify on a smaller scale to button it up completely but from what i have found on the net ( most prices from 4wheelparts/summit/jegs) you can do this for a starting projection on 30 grand and you should have some wiggle room with that which may get bigger if you find donor parts or get something used or from a friend.

Also you cant include the price of the truck for this build as even if he just wanted a jk to wheel stock the price of the truck would still be the same.

i have alot of things in my truck that will out wheel most on this site and by doing everything except the final alignment on the front axle between myself and my dad no one could probably guess the cost

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Robert B previously posted:
    "unlike all these against the dream rig i will try to help with some info and say go for it ... plus im all for a V8 not a fan of the jeep 6 cylinder..... here we go.
    first off context buttercup context. this was referring to the lockers only in which case if one has about $1400 to spend they can pick any locker as that is the most expensive one (ARB locker).

-next i dont see much for 38 inch tires but 37 has more options so id go that route and how the bloody hell do you get a 5K estimate for tires and wheels?? even a set of 40 inchers i dont get all the way to that price unless its with interco or some belted monster tire.
    im looking at $1350-2000 for real beadlocks depending on steel or aluminium and how many bolts (i prefer steel but both work)
    and for 37 inch tires around $1625 or so for some BFG KO2 as you will be doing more on road driving so mud tires are not the best (mine burn up extremely fast)
    **these are for sets of 5 so dont try to get smart**

-20K for the v8 swap seems high to me but i guess if they went around $12500 for install maybe. no idea why it would be that high but ehh
    -long block coyote engine is $6700
    -wiring and stand alone fully programmable controls for engine $1500
    -brand new 4l80E based 6 speed with ford small block bellhousing about $8000 *stand alone fully programmable controller and shifter (3 styles to choose) included* not 100% sure if offer 4wd version also but you can also buy your original 6 speed transmission and get a stand alone control system.
    -ford small block adjustable engine mount kit $170 may not be full bolt on for JK as i heard the frame got wider for the V6 and i dont see a kit specifically for the JK but if narrowing is all that is needed thats easy to do
    -as jeeps have factory belly pans and the vertical nature of a gm transmission mount that can be made of some 1X2 steel tube easily and if it needs to be dropped some it can be notched and bent easily also

- yes the axles are about 25-30 K ( id do a few upgrades like chevy brakes and full float rear end) according to Predator recently but if you can either deal with the full width 60s ( about $1750-2000 for craigslist set) or are willing to take them somewhere to get shortened you can get those, rebuild and or shorten them for around $4000-5000. if you shorten them make sure you get the exact dimensions on the axle shafts so you can have them or someone else cut another set if needed ** you can also get a rear 60, or bigger, from the junkyard for about $125 but fronts are very hard to find**
    -JK 4 link front truss system including all mounts and spring buckets for Ford Dana 60 $415
    - Dana 60 crossover steering arm $115-140 depending on style
    -did not find a rear 60 yet but JK rear 14bolt truss system with all mounts $350
    these are designed to use the factory JK frame mounts for the axle

atlas transfer case is self explanatory and i will be going this route or a stakk box when my current one blows up also

for lockers where this started if we go with what i think is the best selectable ARB here are the prices
    -Dana 60 4.56 and up case $1157 per
    -ARB compressor for locker $275

this comes to $22,819 - 23,469

now there are a few missing parts like the flexplate and torque converter, either a universal air box for engine or adapt the factory one. any little brackets or cables to adapt the emergency brake system. may have to buy a transfer case adapter or input shaft or if you do go the atlas then just order it to match the new transmission there may be some other costs or options with the transmission to get 4wd or things to change or adapt as i can only go off of what the website says but its a good start. you can most likely also go with what ever ford transmission you had in mind ( prefer the 6 speed personally as 8 speeds do nothing but shift all the time) and buy a stand alone wiring kit for that one instead. if you need a bigger lift kit then any factory style will work with these parts so thats up to preference on which brand you want. there are most likely other pieces or brackets or things to buy / modify on a smaller scale to button it up completely but from what i have found on the net ( most prices from 4wheelparts/summit/jegs) you can do this for a starting projection on 30 grand and you should have some wiggle room with that which may get bigger if you find donor parts or get something used or from a friend.

Also you cant include the price of the truck for this build as even if he just wanted a jk to wheel stock the price of the truck would still be the same.

i have alot of things in my truck that will out wheel most on this site and by doing everything except the final alignment on the front axle between myself and my dad no one could probably guess the cost"

Thanks for the info. Here are my thoughts

On tire size I have had this agruement with alot people. Yes a 37 may be an odd tire size but BFG tire is out and Falken is hasn't released there 38 yet but it will be out by the end of the first quarter this year. There is also the super swampers I know they will be loud but its a option. On to wheels I thought just doing a ProComp with a weld on beadlock or doing a trail ready lock.I not certain yet I thinking Pro comp and just weld stuff on.

Engine swap so I went to my local shop this(the one that will build it. They said the swap is do able but we would be the first to do it so it would be alot of trail an error. Till the set up works(I like the challenge personally) As for the trans I really still up in the air depends on what will work with the engine best. I like 8s cause that low first gear but I do know of them popping in and out.I plan to just rise the tranny and engine all at the same time along with bring the gas tank inside under the rear seats. Overall I think this just be best idea since it will be alot new parts lets just go crazy.

So axle are a huge open air question Yes I could 80s or can do 14 bolt 60 front But idk I could also do a 9 inch rear and 9 inch front. I was thinking 4.88s and E-locker at this point. And interms of Tcase I was thinking the 4.3 atlas.

This isn't going to be be one and done build it will be built in stages an of the courses this will probably be 2-4 year build time. I go to alot shows for work and such but am not a pavement princess I will but my rig on its side if I have too lol. If you'll are wanna know where my money comes from I work hard forit their for I like to play hard.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

You can get custom hummer take offs for $200. http://www.trailworthyfab.com/-200-1...l-Special.html

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

if they do an 8 speed like the ZH 8HP then that would be neat as its like a 6 speed with 2 nice low ranges and would work nicely but i dont see that one in 4wd will have to see what comes out. and cool on the tires if they come out soon would be why i couldnt find them yet :P for the rims i was looking at already built bead locks where you pick the rim style and the ring style and just bolt em together upon tire mounting just like the place christopher linked they do it for you and you just choose your options and styles ....... will have to save that site for later 9 inches would work but the lack of an outer wheel bearing seal means those go bad faster than you might think

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

MultiScuf previously posted:
    "Thanks for the info. Here are my thoughts

On tire size I have had this agruement with alot people. Yes a 37 may be an odd tire size but BFG tire is out and Falken is hasn't released there 38 yet but it will be out by the end of the first quarter this year. There is also the super swampers I know they will be loud but its a option. On to wheels I thought just doing a ProComp with a weld on beadlock or doing a trail ready lock.I not certain yet I thinking Pro comp and just weld stuff on.

Engine swap so I went to my local shop this(the one that will build it. They said the swap is do able but we would be the first to do it so it would be alot of trail an error. Till the set up works(I like the challenge personally) As for the trans I really still up in the air depends on what will work with the engine best. I like 8s cause that low first gear but I do know of them popping in and out.I plan to just rise the tranny and engine all at the same time along with bring the gas tank inside under the rear seats. Overall I think this just be best idea since it will be alot new parts lets just go crazy.

So axle are a huge open air question Yes I could 80s or can do 14 bolt 60 front But idk I could also do a 9 inch rear and 9 inch front. I was thinking 4.88s and E-locker at this point. And interms of Tcase I was thinking the 4.3 atlas.

This isn't going to be be one and done build it will be built in stages an of the courses this will probably be 2-4 year build time. I go to alot shows for work and such but am not a pavement princess I will but my rig on its side if I have too lol. If you'll are wanna know where my money comes from I work hard forit their for I like to play hard."

Completely off subject but Brandon your English is 100 times better than it use to be. Good job!!

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,011 Posts

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "Completely off subject but Brandon your English is 100 times better than it use to be. Good job!!"

I'll second the comment!

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

Robert B previously posted:
    "unlike all these against the dream rig i will try to help with some info and say go for it

...how the bloody hell do you get a 5K estimate for tires and wheels??
    ...20K for the v8 swap seems high to me but i guess if they went around $12500 for install maybe"

I'm not against a dream rig. Just want to point out that unless you're skilled, like yourself, building a JK can get real expensive real fast.

38-inch BFG KM2 are ~$500 each so that's $2500. Hutchison Rock monsters are ~$500 each so that's another $2500 for $5k total. Can you do it cheaper? Sure. As someone else pointed out, military surplus wheels and tires are cheap.

I don't know jack about the engine being discussed, but here's a reference point for professionally done V8 swap. The fine print says prices starting at $25.5k.

http://bruiserconversions.com/jeep-w...s-conversions/

Last Online
    December 8th, 2020
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

All of this so you can run "which" trails?

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

ExplorerTom previously posted:
    "All of this so you can run "which" trails?"

Doesn't seem trails has anything to do with it...it is about taking it to shows

Cesare Pavese

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast