4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Default Canyonlands Stuff

If anyone has more info on Canyonlands and the Maze, I'd love to see it. We are going in June and I have never been. The family is meeting up with my mom and her husband and their Tacoma; they have been to the Dollhouse in their Jeep, so it will at least be familiar to someone.

I posted some pics of Lavender Canyon on the Ladies Run thread.

"As far as Canyonlands in general, there is an area on the southeast boundary of the park called Lavender Canyon. The turn-off sign says Lavender Canyon/Davis Canyon. It is a 14 mile, two hour or so drive the the gate to the park, through sand and riverbed and one of my favorite places to be. There are arches, pictographs, shade etc. Just watch out for quicksand. Here is a picture of the ex stuck in Lavender in quicksand, and two of the campsite."

In response to the question of where...I don't have the directions to where exactly Lavender Canyon is. You follow 313 I think, south from the Canyonlands Outpost (she makes good sandwiches there, BTW). I will try to hunt down more specifics if anyone wants to go there. You can park for a few days at the campsite I noted. You would need a permit to get through the park boundary gate, which is (I think) half mile from the campsite.

It does take a few hours to go the 14 miles and you don't want to go during the rainy season. It can be hard to follow the trail when the spring run-off has previously flooded through the canyon.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Canyonlands Stuff

Lavender Canyon is in the Charles Wells Moab trail book, it is in the Needles district, but not within the park boundary.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I want to go.... but I have seen rain season pics.... SCARY!!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

So I looked up Lavender Canyon. I thought it was on the South end of the Maze. Turns out it is just off the road entering Needles. I have always wondered what was down that turnoff!

So some advice for a Maze trip. HOT HOT HOT anytime after about May 1st. Whole area is like that of course. I presume you will be entering from the ranger station at Hans Flat. There is BLM camping area right outside the ranger station. We usually drive to that point from Denver and camp the night. The next full day is driving to the Doll Houses.

Once you are there, hiking down to the water is almost a must. It is almost 1,000 vertical feet in only 3/4 a mile or so. STEEP hike. Take about 45 mins to get down but about 2-3 hours to get back up. Really nice to dip in the water a bit. There is also a really good 8 mile or so loop hike at Chimney Rock. It goes into the canyons and comes out at another nearby camp and you walk back on the road.

Things to keep in mind:

1) You have to carry your own toilet. The ranger will confirm you have one when you arrive or you can buy one there. There are no toilet facilities once you leave the ranger station.

2) The last gas station you will pass is in Green River. It is about 45 miles of paved road I think to get to the entrance road to the Maze. It is another 45 miles I think to the ranger station on graded dirt road. It is then 35 miles of offroad to get to the dollhouses. If you don't deviate from that path (of course you will want to see the other sights!) then you need enough fuel for about 250 miles. The side roads will easily put you over 300 miles. Make sure your tank can handle 300 miles worth of fuel or you have to take extra fuel.

3) No water is available ANYWHERE past Green River. We take 1 gallon per person per day as a minimum. We have seen some wicked weather in there. The clay can get so slippery that you can't drive on it. You might end up in there an extra day or two. We always try to take double the water we need just in case.

4) Take maps. There are very few signs and on the hiking trails there are no signs and often times not even markers. We have seen people get lost hiking before. The GPS often can't obtain a signal in the canyons and a map can be priceless.

5) Good to have a weather radio if possible. As I said, if weather rolls in, the roads can be impassable. We have never had one before but I wish we had. I have one now for the truck. Before I was simply working on instinct and knowledge of the terrain. I have pics on 35mm from when it rained all night and washed out the roads in the canyon. This was followed by about 2-3" of hail. Luckily I got our group to a higher point just before the rain and we were able to drive out without any issue.

6) If you have any way of providing shade like a canopy, it is a good idea. There typically isn't a speck of shade to be found. Plan on napping during the heat of the day or finding your way into a shady canyon. Also, keep in mind that night temps can still get cold so take warm clothes and a decent bag.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Forgot to mention, make your reservations in advance! All the camping is by reservation only and fills fast! We had trouble getting spots we wanted for October when we reserved our trip a month ago. 6 months in advance is not too early.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Thanks for all the hints. My mom has been there and I have done some desert drives/camps in somewhat desolate areas before. We got our reservations the first week of January. I know I need to buy one more 4-5 gallon h2o tank, two isn't going to be enough for four people. I will have my gas can on the roof, I KNOW I couldn't do 300 miles on one tank. I have the porta-pot buy site marked and I have a tarp to string up to my back end- thanks for the reminder, I need to check the grommets and string and make sure I have stakes. I totally forgot about that. I have been looking at those two way radios that also issue NOAA alerts. Any suggestions on those? I know my mom has the weather alert radio so we are good there too. Your post made me remember something I forgot to put on my master list so thank you!

I am heading up to the area north of Green River Friday. I always fill up in Green River, even if it is just a few gallons. I spent some time living in Salt Lake and have family there, so I know that the gas situation there sucks.

Great post, I appreciate it.

Here is the 'trail' in the middle of Lavender.

As far as Lavender, it is easy to miss the turn off to the left (approaching Canyonlands). One of the turnoffs to the right gets you to camping and a waterfall but I have NO idea what it is called if there is a name. Anyone recognize this?

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

[quote=Patrolman;8135]...

Once you are there, hiking down to the water is almost a must. It is almost 1,000 vertical feet in only 3/4 a mile or so. STEEP hike. Take about 45 mins to get down but about 2-3 hours to get back up. Really nice to dip in the water a bit. There is also a really good 8 mile or so loop hike at Chimney Rock. It goes into the canyons and comes out at another nearby camp and you walk back on the road."

Is this the only route to the water and is this the same hike as the one to the Confluence? I am thinking the 8 mile loop hike you mention is the one my mom wants to take me and my family of out of shape slugs on.

RE-read your posting, great information here.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

If you head down to the dollhouses, the only way to water is the 1,000 foot hike. You won't bring up more than a couple liters if you need water. STEEP and sometimes on all 4's to get up a step. The only other place to get to the water is at Ecker I believe. It is a LONG drive to get to Ecker from the other part of the Maze. Easier to just drive out. Well worth the scenery, but not worth the trip for water alone.

I have a 6 gallon H2O jug if you want to borrow it. I also have 1 or 2 durable single gallon jugs. Use them to fill from the 6 gallon. Saves me from digging out the 6 gallon all day long for little uses. Only have to get it out 1x a day. Plus, I can take 1 extra gallon at the beginning of the trip. Also have the NATO fuel cans and filler spouts. Great cans for the roof since they typically don't leak. Still need to dig out old trip photos and scan them in.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "If you head down to the dollhouses, the only way to water is the 1,000 foot hike. You won't bring up more than a couple liters if you need water. STEEP a.......r little uses. Only have to get it out 1x a day. Plus, I can take 1 extra gallon at the beginning of the trip. Also have the NATO fuel cans and filler spouts. Great cans for the roof since they typically don't leak. Still need to dig out old trip photos and scan them in."

Thanks! I will have to copy and paste to my mom and see exactly where she is taking us. That is a great idea on the H20 containers! I have two five gallon containers and was looking at getting a third but I like your idea better. It made me think about two of those collapsible spouted containers in the 2.5 gallon size. It will make daily filling easier, as well as packing. I plan on bringing 14-15 gallons for four people for four days. Thank you so much for the borrow offer!

I have been doing the configuring in my head and begun the purchasing. I ordered my extension basket bolt-on roof rack. I have the car top carrier for the rear stock rack. The basket will be for the tools, recovery bag, misc crap tool box, gas, chairs, portapotty and such. Fitting the coolers, water, and food in the back is going to be a PITA but with the collapsibles, I should have more options.

Am I missing anything else? Gotta check the tarp grommets and leads this weekend.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Nice thread for all the info and advice for Canyonlands.

Pathrat-you shouldn't worry about rolling over. You will have so much stuff on the top of your FJ that it would be like tipping your rig over onto a water bed or mattress....

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Obvious things that you surely don't want to forget:

Sunscreen, shade hat, sunglasses, sandals, etc. All the stuff for hot and sun. Also don't forget colder weather stuff. Not likely now, but it still gets chilly at night! Hat, gloves, etc.

Hope to see some good pics and a report when you get back!