Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tire discussion! big ol' tire thread.

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

Default tire discussion! big ol' tire thread.

ok, I searched a little and didn't find a big ol' thread where everyone discussed tires. so I'm starting one. mostly because I just got new ones and they're pretty awesome.

when I bought my Jeep, it had BFG KM2s on it that were about 1/2 tread and siped. I hadn't run them on any of my previous Jeeps, and they weren't that bad of shape, so I kept them to see how they were. they were ok. the siping helped in the wet and a little on the ice, but I really hated winters with them. they dug into snow too much and didn't really have good grip. especially when they wore down. on the trail they performed as expected, but for a DD, they were not ideal. very loud as well. not as loud as Swampers, but louder than other MTs I've run. in the end, I was glad to get rid of them.

last Friday, I got a set of the new BFG KO2 all terrains put on my Jeep. same size as the MTs, 35x12.5r17s. we had a thread on these last year when they were announced and I'm not sure if anyone else ever actually purchased these. I've been excited to get them on my Jeep for a while now, and I can say that so far they're living up to the hype!

they're pretty tough looking for an AT and they ride really smooth. (granted, that might be because I've been running MTs on all my Jeeps for the past 6 years, so take that with a grain of salt...) they're quiet too. they hold well around corners and feel very stable at all speeds.

and the real reason I wanted these? SNOW. they have a 3-peak snow rating on them (all sizes) and BFG says they've improved the winter driving by adding enough siping to earn the rating. we got some snow this week and I was able to get on a little of it on my way to and from work. I drive a 6-mile stretch of gravel through Golden Gate Canyon State Park every day and it gets SUPER sloppy when it's wet. enough so that I've had to put 4wd on in the mud a few times with my old tires. I wanted to see how they handled the snow and mud, so I kept the Jeep in 2wd for my way though...the tires didn't slip once! there wasn't a lot of snow on the road, but enough to make it seem slick. but even giving it some throttle (not a lot, but enough) to see if I could get it to slip out, they still held. I wasn't pushing it, and the conditions were very mild, but just that little bit gave me a good sense that these tires are going to be pretty awesome in the snow this winter.

anyways, it's only been a week of driving on them, but I'm pleased so far.

if anyone else wants to chime in and give a review of their tires, that's what this thread is for. tires are expensive and nobody likes buying tires and ending up hating them. so getting other's opinions/reviews is a good way for us to help each other out.

J.

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

Default Re: tire discussion! big ol' tire thread.

also, a list of tires I've had experience with:

CJ5:
    31" no-name street tires
    31" Swamper LTBs (awesome on a stock CJ, I had no issues with them, got them used and worth them down to the bars, awesome off road, loud)

05 Jeep TJ:
    31" BFG KO ATs (street only for a month, no off road, no real opinions)
    33" Mickey Thompson MTZ (great MT that isn't too loud and pretty good on the street. performed well off road, but weakish sidewalls)

Commando
    33" Swamper Boggers (annoying as all get-out on the street. didn't have them long)
    37" Goodyear MTR (old style, performed well off road. didn't really use them on the street as it was a trail rig)

98 Jeep TJ (current):
    35" BFG KM2 (not bad for a MT, but not as good as the Mickeys I had on the other TJ)

J.

Last Online
    December 8th, 2020
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

I bought my original BFG KOs in the 30x9.5r15 size (way back) and was excited to have the mountain snowflake symbol as well. The previous several winters on different vehicles I had run dedicated snow tires so I was happy to have tires similarly capable that I could use year round.

And then it snowed. The tires sucked. I wasn't happy. The wife's car with Michelin X-Ice was sure footed and controlled in that same storm.

in 4wd, the the KOs would take off like a scalded dog through an intersection but as soon as I touched the brakes they were sliding and the ABS was having a hell of a time.

BUT..... I ditched the 30s in favor of some 33x12.5r15 and stayed with the BFG KOs. Now I've got the same weight spread out on a larger contact patch, thus reducing my contact psi, and the tires are crap as expected on snow. Because of this, it stays parked in the garage when there is snow on the roads. But off road I've been very happy with them. Even snow wheeling they do fairly well. I think the difference is the hard packed snow on the roads vs snow that can be "floated over" on the trails.

I have been thinking about getting 35s and I can't say that I've ruled out the KO2s. They do seem to be better than the KOs in a lot of regards.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

I started running KM2s this year and am less than impressed with wet rock and dry dirt road performance. I wouldn't even go as far as to say they are great on dry rock. The thought of running them in snow sends shivers down my spine. I've run the KOs and while they are ok on the road and easy dirt trails they fall into the classification of doing everything ok but nothing great. The best tire I've run is the Truxus. MT. They did everything great but after about 8 years they didn't roll as smooth (never got them dynamically balanced) and in one summer I got two pinch flats so I think the rubber was really degrading.

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

I've read a bunch of reviews from guys who ran the KOs in the past and weren't happy with them. they've reported great things about the new KO2s, especially in the snow. all I know is that they have to be better in snow than the KM2s, haha.

J.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

I have used a General Grabber which worked great until about 50% tread and then it went totally downhill. I upgraded to the old BFG MT which even with very little tread did pretty great on the trail. From there I went with the KM2 thinking it was going to be even better. I was disappointed in the overall performance of the KM2. Did pretty good on dry rock for me but if it was wet forget about it. Snow was terrible, if you lost any momentum they would immediately bury down. Running the BFG All terrain now which handles as everyone has said, but am looking forward to a set of KO2.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    July 16th, 2023
    4x4
    2000 Runner
    User Name
    moose
    Real Name
    Andrew aka Drew aka AC
    Thanks Given

xaza previously posted:
    "I have used a General Grabber which worked great until about 50% tread and then it went totally downhill."

Which version were you running?

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

It was an AT, first set of tires I bought for my XJ 13 years ago.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    July 16th, 2023
    4x4
    2000 Runner
    User Name
    moose
    Real Name
    Andrew aka Drew aka AC
    Thanks Given

Just curious. A former co worker of mine only puts the red lettered version on her jeep. Swore by em. My only concern with them is that hey have no siping

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 976 Posts

B/C you started a tire thread - here is my gripe after searching for a while...Would be nice if there were more options in the 15inch rim width, as well as more tall and narrow options. e.g. like a 33x10.5R15. Especially since the new BFG KM2 mud tires (one of the few with 33x10.5) don't seem to be loved - debating going to the AT KO2s but hate giving up the traction for a mostly off road vehicle and not a DD. I really like the old version of the BFG Mud-terrains (and it seems similar to the BFGs on JK rubicons) but guess things gotta change.

There used to even be options for a 33x9.5R15.... guess nobody likes the old school look...but for light jeeps the wide tire causes too much flotation as well as the excess weight hinders mpg, braking and puts unnecessary wear on knuckles, hubs etc. ok rant off....

Last Online
    July 9th, 2016
    4x4
    84 Ranger/94Explorer/87ZUK
    User Name
    BLOODBANE
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Since we are talking tires, I put these on my Ranger over the summer...

36x13.5x15 IROC radials on 15x10 AM Racing rims. Was gonna go with the Staun internal beadlocks, but didnt this go around. So far they have been a great tire (at least they ride better than the BOGGERs, which I still have)

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

I know what you mean, James. the Swamper LTBs I had on my CJ5 were 31x9.5s and they worked great. they're harder and harder to find.

J.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

Because wider is cooler, or so the people who buy most of the tires think.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I have 33x12.50r15 duratracs on my Jeep with 30k of very even wear on them and they're still excellent. I always loved my BFG ats until they wore about 1/2 way, but so far the Duratracs are still doing well. I probably will get the again.

The new BFGs look great though, and now they come in 33x10.50r15s. Good deal here that I'm considering- http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Tires-Jeep-T...FQOUaQodVIUBzw

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

I run a 33 X 10.50 Hankook M/T...
    Love these tires. A little short on Longevity but they will clime a tree if I ask them...

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "I have 33x12.50r15 duratracs on my Jeep with 30k of very even wear on them and they're still excellent. I always loved my BFG ats until they wore about 1/2 way, but so far the Duratracs are still doing well. I probably will get the again."

The Duratracs are an awesome all-around tire. Ran these in my JK for ~50k miles.

Winter-rated. Great on-road in the snow and rain. Great in all but the harshest off-road conditions. I don't like mud and avoid it, but the two times I've been in it the Duratracs got me through,

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...Pole-Hill-Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA_2Xew0iuc

My only complaint about the Duratracs was that when aired down in off-camber situations, they seemed to "side slip" more than I was comfortable with.

When it came time to replace the Duratracs, I started an experiment with the TreadWright Guard Dog M/T (same size; 315/70/17). I got them with the "buy 4, get the 5th free" sale and bought 5 shipped to my door for ~$746. That's half what the Duratracs would have been. I then paid $100 to have them mounted and balanced at Big O.

On-road, these are not comparable to the Duratracs. Louder, worse in the rain, worse in the snow. Probably normal for an M/T. I have no other experience. Off-road, I have no complaints.

I got the K-edge grip (ground up glass and walnut shells in the rubber for winter traction) and didn't notice anything at first. However, now that I've got some miles on them I can see the pinholes in the tread blocks. Anxious to see how that effects winter performance this year.

Overall, I think that the TreadWright Guard Dogs are a fantastic deal. When it comes time for new tires again, it'll be between these two and the Falken Wild Peak A/T depending on how much money I have handy at the time.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 976 Posts

The StRanger previously posted:
    "I run a 33 X 10.50 Hankook M/T...
    Love these tires. A little short on Longevity but they will clime a tree if I ask them..."

This is the exact tire and size I would like, but they don't appear to be made in that size anymore. I can find and am considering 32x11.5 as the actual width is only 0.5" inch wider than the 31x10.5.

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

after seeing the Falken Wild Peak ATs after some mileage, they look like the tread loses the siping pretty quick. that's just from seeing them on other people's trucks. but I would think they wouldn't be very fun in the snow.

J.

Last Online
    December 14th, 2017
    4x4
    2015 Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
    User Name
    sdswingr
    Real Name
    Tim
    Thanks Given

Yeah, ran my mud terrains last winter..not great at stopping...but great at going forward...picked up a set of 5 rims with good year sra stock wrangler tires, going to sipe them, and see how they do...probably will go with a set of dedicated winter tires once these wear out though

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

sdswingr previously posted:
    "Yeah, ran my mud terrains last winter..not great at stopping...but great at going forward...picked up a set of 5 rims with good year sra stock wrangler tires, going to sipe them, and see how they do...probably will go with a set of dedicated winter tires once these wear out though"

The SRA is a good street tire. Soft ride, ok traction in rain. Nothing special in snow, but maybe better than an M/T unless the snow was deep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast