4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Default 2007 Metberry report

This is from my MySpace blog, hence the narrative. You all will have no issues with what I called an obstacle at 1.9 miles

We got some directions online, consulted Charles's book, grabbed the atlas and headed out. Of course we got lost. The Gazetteer has issues with posting county roads. We found the trail head by accident at around 230pm.
    Our trail report said the road was relatively smooth to the trail. Actually, from the turn-off from County Road 68 to the trailhead, it is sixteen miles of run-off ruts and sharp pointy trees. The good people had cut back the branches and so there were sticks ranging in heigth from Sidewall Pokers to Roof Rack Tangles, and Side Panel Scratchers in between.
    The trail is 8.6 miles round trip. It is essentially a chute with moguls. 1.9 miles in is the first obstacle where spotting is quite useful. One one side is a ditch, on the other is a water rut with a log. Where you drive are off center rocks that look like someone spilled cement out of the back of their truck. On all sides of said rock piles are depressions filled with mud, water, and gravel. Ideal for traction issues and undercarriage damage. Being lazy, I had not aired down either. I scraped the skid on the down hill, and made loud ugly noises and dragged a mounting bracket on the way back up. I had it locked and had a hell of a time getting my front passenger and rear driver tires in the correct position to just scrape what I considered auxilliary parts- the skid. I didn't even get to bash the skids, just the mount. That the sun had set didn't really add to the spotting attempts. After four or five tries and much cursing, we succeeded.
    Another fun spot is three miles in where the trail makes a 90 degree turn. My Gatemonkey didn't like that part because the FJ leaned 20 degrees towards a large granite face, on his side. I did it on the way back to test the lean and I saw his point.
    The best is what is called the Rock Slab or Chicken Scratch Hill. I chose the route to the right for the downhill, opting to climb the left fork, which is a sandy rock slab leading into a nice four foot dirt berm. Lose traction and you will not turn. Instead you would be seeking a new bumper and hoping your headlights worked. My downhill trail was uneven and led to the same berm, but with a bit more turning room. If you look at my corresponding Metberry picture album here, you will see I made my turn too soon. I corrected and Gatemonkey watched me made the next 40 foot descent. I heard from outside, "Jesus Christ!". What??? "Your front tires never rotated, you just slid down!" I thought it was a mostly controlled slide. The climb up the Rock Slab on the way out was anticlimactic- no problems. My FJ is a mountain goat.
    I have never driven off a trail in the dark. My headlights work pretty well so long as I don't get complacent and miss a nice, deep rut parallel to my tires. Making contact with such an inverted obstacle causes unintentional side leaps. Amazing what a five inch trench can do to 3500 pounds of steel and cheap plastic.
    It is a fun trail, I recommend it. Here are some mileage specifics coming back. I don't have them for the way in because I am directionally challenged and we missed at least one turn off so I tried to modify. Email me if you need clarification.
    From Trailhead:

Trail itself is a 8.6 round trip. The trailhead on the right on a small fork off main road (FR 340)…yellow metal sign that announces trail head
    16.0 to seasonal gate from trailhead
    16.1 to Start of turn off onto FR 340 where the 4x4 Hi clearance vehicles only sign (rt turn when coming south from Stump Road- CR 68)

Default Re: 2007 Metberry report

thanks. that'll be helpful as we hit the trail this weekend. would love a link to the pics mentioned in the write up.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

I guess it was more three wheeling at the bottom of Chicken Scratch Hill. I felt the truck rock and had to jump out and get a picture. If you want scenics I have those two.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks for the re-post. Sorry that you aren't going to go. Sounds like you and LaDawn would get along just fine, so it would be nice for you two to meet. Next time...

Be cool with your back...and be patient. There aren't that many trails opened up, anyway. It took me 2 months just to be able to walk around the block when I trashed my back and another 20 months before I was able to snowboard, rock climb, hike, bike or anything else. And coming from a guy's point of view, you know that you're having some back issues when the thought of sex makes you cringe....Worse 2 years of my life so far. So, bottom line, just be patient and heal up.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

brody previously posted:
    "Thanks for the re-post. Sorry that you aren't going to go. Sounds like you and LaDawn would get along just fine, so it would be nice for you two to meet. Next time...

So, bottom line, just be patient and heal up."

I bet you liked hearing that sound advice you are giving me about as much as I do. I'm looking forward to the meet and greet. OH, and I read you guys meeting in Sedalia Sunday morning. Which train tracks, the ones closer to 87? in town? I ask because I have to drive down to Littleton to pick up my kids Sunday morning and I would like to say hi if there will be a crowd gathered there at 830am.