4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

Default 8th Annual Aussie Run - September 12, 2015

OK, I am putting this here (not in planned trail runs) because I haven't really decided on a trail yet. I'm thinking about Bill Moore Lake but just need a few minutes to think about it and look at where the exchanges are coming from (usually Denver area). I'd love some input there - see my parameters below, though. This is also posted on Colorado4x4.org. If you have friends who want to help out too, that would be great!

OK, here we go again! The eighth annual Aussie Run will be held on Saturday, September 12, 2015. If you want to go wheeling and have an empty seat or two (or more), this is a fun event!

The trail and meeting spot are still TBD, but will likely be somewhere between Georgetown and Breckenridge due to most of the exchanges living in the Denver area. In the past we have run Radical Hill, Argentine Pass, Bill Moore Lake, and Peru Creek/Santa Fe Peak. I'd love some help picking an appropriate trail - re-running a trail we've done in the past is always an option. Requirements are that it be an out and back or loop trail (returning to the same meeting spot), not too difficult, great scenery, and able to handle 15+ rigs. Mining remains or places of historical significance are a bonus, but not mandatory. There are a LOT of exchangees this year (11, plus their family members = 25 potential exchange passengers, plus any former exchange teachers from CO) so I really would appreciate your help in making sure that all who want to go are able to. I can't do it without you!

What is the Aussie Run?
    Well, as some of you know, I’m an elementary school teacher. In 2006, I participated in a teacher exchange to Australia. Basically, an Australian teacher and I swapped jobs and houses for a year. While my wife and I were there, we were constantly amazed at how people went out of their way to show us their favorite parts of that incredible country. When I got back, I vowed I would do the same thing for the Aussies on exchange to Colorado, and the Aussie Run was born. I got some willing volunteers together (you awesome folks) who had a few empty seats in their rigs, piled in some teachers and their families, and had a great day wheeling in the Colorado mountains.

How does it work?
    I compile a list of volunteer drivers who have available seats in their rigs, and passengers who want to ride along. We meet in an easy-to-find place, match up passengers with drivers, and head out for the trails. It’s usually a full day with lunch on the trail, and returning to the meeting spot around 4pm. After that, people have often stopped for dinner or drinks on the way home, but that’s up to each individual.

Things to be aware of:
    Every year, we have had more empty seats than passengers. This is intentional, as unexpected things happen and it would be really disappointing for someone to drive up there and not get to go. Having a few extra seats also provides a safety margin in case a vehicle breaks down. What this means for drivers, however, is that there is a chance you might be wheeling by yourself. Rest assured, though, that there will be time to meet and chat with the exchange teachers at the meeting spot, photo stops, lunch, and possibly dinner.
    If you do get a passenger, be prepared that they might not be Australian. I organize the passengers for this run through the Colorado International Teachers’ Exchange League (CITEL), and all members are invited. This means that the passengers may be teachers here in Colorado on exchange from another country (not always Australia, though the majority of exchange teachers are Aussies), or Colorado teachers who, like me, have been on an exchange in the past. I’m sure you’ll find that all of them are adventurous and thankful for your time and willingness to help out!
    Also, please be aware that this is NOT a hardcore wheeling run. Most of the passengers have never driven on anything more difficult than a dirt road before, and what may be a routine shelf road to you may be at the limit of their comfort zone. The emphasis is on conversation and having a good time, not conquering a rock garden or avoiding a near-rollover. The safety of passengers and drivers is a priority at all times during this event.

How do I sign up?
    Simply message me with these things:
    your real name (first is OK)
    what you drive and how many empty seats you’ll have
    a good contact phone number
    your email address

I’ll send you an email with a map to the meeting spot and any other information needed for the trip, and I can answer any questions you may have. I'll update the driver list at the end of this post as people sign up.

One more thing:
    THANKS. I could never say it enough. I cannot run this event without awesome people like you who want to share our beautiful backcountry with others, and are willing to do it without compensation of any kind other than a handshake and a smile. You rock!

Kyle

Seats needed for passengers: 10-12
    Seats offered: 6-15

Drivers:
    Me
    ttim (CO4x4)
    ttim's wife (CO4x4)
    Canyonero?
    94 ToyBear?

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    User Name
    GaryG
    Real Name
    Gary G.
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 8th Annual Aussie Run - September 12, 2015

I had such a great time on this a couple years back, unfortunately, the timing of this years clashes with a motorcycle trip.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

I'm interested! I'll up date soon if I'm able to. I would have one extra seat, also ask a buddy of mine if he would like to join.

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

It would be great to have you - just picked up 6 more passengers! I'll update the top thread with total drivers and passengers. Let me know about your buddy, it would be great to have an extra rig or two. Thanks!

Kyle

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

OK, moved this to Planned Trail Runs. Finally decided on Bill Moore Lake! Weather is saying mid 60s and sunny for Saturday, come join us!