4x4
    Sold them all, JTR coming soon
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Default '87 Toyota Pickup Emissions

I'm looking at trading my RX7 for a 4X4 Toyota truck while I get my M1009 rebuilt and beautiful. I got offered one from a non-emissions location. I don't know what it's supposed to have, and he's not sure what's been removed. Does anyone know? I've not really dealt with emissions in Colorado (all of my vehicles are much older), but I'm pretty sure I need to pass a sniffer and the kit has to at least look like it's there according to a crappy diagram on a computer that someone may or may not check/know what they're looking at...

What emissions kit did it come with, and what is the procedure/requirement for getting it properly registered?

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Default Re: '87 Toyota Pickup Emissions

There is a Exhaust Gas Recirculation system on it stock. I think it just had the one catalytic converter. There is also a charcoal filter for the fuel tank on the passenger side firewall. I think if you have good O2 sensors and a good catalytic converter, it shouldn't be hard to get it to pass. They use an OBD1 system too. They do have check engine lights, but its much less sophisticated then OBD2.

Last I checked, even sellers outside of the emissions area are liable for the costs of getting it Emissions Compliant when they sell it to someone who will title and register it in an emission regulated area.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Last I checked, even sellers outside of the emissions area are liable for the costs of getting it Emissions Compliant when they sell it to someone who will title and register it in an emission regulated area."

Last I checked sellers in CO are also required to provide a passing emissions test when the vehicle is going to be titled in a emissions area. Not many people know this and getting them to do it, especially if they aren't in an emissions area, is difficult. I was looking at buying a car a couple years ago from a seller in the springs. When I started asking about emissions tests, he suddenly wanted to sell to local buyer.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

There was an old thread about this same thing a few years ago, a lot of good info was on that. I think it was someone from fort collins. I'll try and find the link to the thread

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...-amp-emissions

I don't think this is it, there is another I think it was for a late 80's yota

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

The car in question is an '87/'89 hybrid titled as an '87. Carbureted (is that correct for an '87? at least an option?). It looks like I'd at least need a cat (or a shell, I can tune carbs like no one's business). I've brought vehicles in state, and you have to have a VIN inspection and emissions test. Requiring the seller to provide the emissions test may be the law for vehicle sales within the state of Colorado (like it ever happens), but one state can't enforce such things on residents of another state. It's on me.

It looks like it has to have (at least the appearance of) the original equipment and pass a sniffer. Would it have an O2 sensor if it's a carbureted '87? I'm trying to find some period literature or manuals...

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

86 on up is all EFI. If its Carboratored I'm pretty sure that will not work.
    If it came from the manufacturer with a cat it will need one or appear to have one, but I have yet to see something pass with out one that came with one.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Actually, 87 was the last year of the 22r (carb), and it was only offered in the truck, and only in non-California equipped models.

My 87 was a bare bones truck with a carb, and it always passed the test well, but failed a "visual" inspection once because the testing station insisted that it was not properly equipped. I just about went ballistic on them. I took it to another station, and the really nice elderly guy spent about 30 minutes reading through documents to find the right into for the truck.

All that said, you need to make sure your 87 was not solid in California and that it is truly a 1987. It if is a 1988 or later you will be out of luck. They did have cat converters, but no O2 sensors, no check engine light, etc. There was no OBD setup on the carb'd 22r engines.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "86 on up is all EFI. If its Carboratored I'm pretty sure that will not work."

This is actually only true for the 4Runner. The 4Runner was never offered with the carbs, even for 85/86/87 when it was offered on the trucks.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "This is actually only true for the 4Runner. The 4Runner was never offered with the carbs, even for 85/86/87 when it was offered on the trucks."

Well if Jeff said it,it MUST be true ! 😊 I stand corrected, but I guess I was talking about the 4runner as that what most of my late 80's yota experience is from.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Yeah, for some idiotic reason the 4Runner engine options weren't the same as the truck for 85-87. Go figure.

Keep in mind that the carb'd 22r can always be converted to a EFI 22re with some effort. It may be worth it if you can't pass an e-test with the carb.

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

I'm really good with a wideband and a set of jetting reams, so I'm really not concerned about getting the carb to pass (helps if I can find jets though). My old '74 FJ40 passed emissions (for fun because I'm weird) with 17ppm HC. For reference, brand new cars typically run something between 200-250ppm.

Is there anywhere to find the correct manuals in PDF so I can do a complete make-sure. I can weld in a cheapo cat if necessary. What else can you tell me about the (non)OBD nature of this thing?

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

"Actually, 87 was the last year of the 22r (carb), and it was only offered in the truck, and only in non-California equipped models.

My 87 was a bare bones truck with a carb, and it always passed the test well, but failed a "visual" inspection once because the testing station insisted that it was not properly equipped. I just about went ballistic on them. I took it to another station, and the really nice elderly guy spent about 30 minutes reading through documents to find the right into for the truck.

All that said, you need to make sure your 87 was not solid in California and that it is truly a 1987. It if is a 1988 or later you will be out of luck. They did have cat converters, but no O2 sensors, no check engine light, etc. There was no OBD setup on the carb'd 22r engines."

Is there any sort of ECU or any other fancy electrickery on such a model? I've about had my fill of electronics in cars that I didn't design and build myself...

Last Online
    October 10th, 2018
    4x4
    1995 jeep Grand Cherokee
    User Name
    Adaa60
    Real Name
    Rob Gonzalez
    Thanks Given

your gonna trade a wankle......

i just lost a tear

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Well... The plot thickens. The fact finding portion of this deal is going incredibly slowly due to time and communication constraints combined with vehicular and legal ambiguities. In an effort to try to firmly suss my potential liability for emissions, I figured the state is only going to care about the title/VIN. If it's an '87 VIN, I should only concern myself with '87 emissions, and if it's '89 it's a no go. If only it were that *simple*...

How's that for a mystery... I called the state department that handles vehicle titles, and after waiting through a 45 minute pre-recorded lecture, I was pleased to find they had closed up shop (at least) 15 minutes early on this Friday afternoon (I called the second I saw the photo of the title)... Fortunately, Broomfield's office was still answering the phones (after a somehow longer lecture that can only be described as Kafkaesque), though clearly in a hurry to leave. She said it likely had to do with the VIN being unusable or replaced... The '89 cab? I have a car in my garage right now with a '58 body on a '64 chassis, and it has a clean clear title without any weirdness... By her logic, any time a junkyard door, fender, what have you is slapped on some old junker it should have one of these titles. Doesn't add up.

Has anyone ever seen something like this? Any ideas? The girl on the phone said it is a clean clear title and doesn't suggest anything is wrong, but tried to pawn me off on the office that was already not answering phones to get them to look it up. Their website won't work without a 17 digit VIN, and I've dealt with that stuff before with cars that predated 17 digits and I know that would be an effort in futility. She then suggested Carfax, and (assuming we ignore the fact that Carfax is completely worthless unless this beat up truck had its cab swapped by a reporting shop... Right...) they don't take sub-17 digit VINs either (or VINs that contain with the letter "I")...

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Without a VIN that matches something on the frame/cab, I wouldn't buy it. It will be a nightmare. That code is assigned to Home-Built vehicles (starts with ID and ends with COLO). That is the same VIN style that I had for my home made trailer. Clearly this isn't a Home-Built. Then trying to pass emissions without a legit VIN that shows that it isn't a California model will be a cluster. The emissions tester won't be able to tell what originally was equipped with for the visual inspection. It has nightmare written all over it.

Last Online
    October 10th, 2018
    4x4
    1995 jeep Grand Cherokee
    User Name
    Adaa60
    Real Name
    Rob Gonzalez
    Thanks Given

"Without a VIN that matches something on the frame/cab, I wouldn't buy it. It will be a nightmare. That code is assigned to Home-Built vehicles (starts with ID and ends with COLO). That is the same VIN style that I had for my home made trailer. Clearly this isn't a Home-Built. Then trying to pass emissions without a legit VIN that shows that it isn't a California model will be a cluster. The emissions tester won't be able to tell what originally was equipped with for the visual inspection. It has nightmare written all over it."

X1 that seems sketchy as hell

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

According to the regs I found, it's supposed to be somewhere in some specific manner for that exact reason. I asked the seller (trader?) about it, and he said he'd look for it and get back to me...

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

He got back to me a while back. Couldn't find anything on the truck that matched the title. Needless to say, I passed.

I did bring home a short bed '81 K10 yesterday though! Going through it this weekend to clean it up, undo some neglect, and give it a tune up. Can't wait to see how she does!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Congrats on the new ride. From a paperwork stance alone, I am sure you will be much happier with the K10 than you would have been with the Toyota. Hopefully the rig ends up being what you want. Gotta post pics now!