Thread: 3axles, 2guys, 2 rigs, 2 days

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thumbs up 3axles, 2guys, 2 rigs, 2 days

Well, Bear is now officially the owner of a 4 wheel drive rig. We got together Saturday and put a new diff into his front axles, rebuilding some of the axle in the process. One side had bad trunnion bearing, so we replace the top and bottom. We decided to just put the rear diff into another housing that was already set up for a spring over and just replace the whole unit. We had to ream out the hole in the spring perch a little, but this was no big deal. This was Saturdays project. Bear is now locked up front and rear, even if the gearing isn't optimum.

Sunday was my rear axle day and Bear came over to help with this. Since I was going to have some help, I decided to add a couple of leafs from a waggie spring pack. We spent a little time cutting the leaves to fit and reaming out the holes for the spring pin, but no drama. We stuck my already prepped Taco axle under my rig and bolted it up, only to find that I couldn't find the bag of ARB parts that had the fitting for the connection to the diff! Anyway, all set to go and I will pick up the fitting at High Country when I go over there to pick up the IFS box that Jon sent up with Jarret.

No physical damage except for a slice from some metal on a finger (Pete) and a smashed finger (Bear). I watched him do this-his aim was great!

Thanks to Bear, Jon and Jarrett!

Thumbs up Re: 3axles, 2guys, 2 rigs, 2 days

brody previously posted:
    "Well, Bear is now officially the owner of a 4 wheel drive rig."

Hey now! How could you forget the Rusticle? It's still cool and 4wd I might add. I mean, come awn! You can see it in the pic in the upper left hand corner on all these pages!

My thumb still hurts like a @)$(%*^! - hence the icon

Sorry guys - Pete's rear axle is just bad ass! He just raised the bar by a long shot in my opinion. Reading this post made this weekend's work sound much too easy. It was a lot of fun and a LOT of work got done on both rigs. See you guys on the trail this coming Sunday.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 3axles, 2guys, 2 rigs, 2 days

brody previously posted:
    "Well, Bear is now officially the owner of a 4 wheel drive rig. <snip> Bear is now locked up front and rear, even if the gearing isn't optimum."

Very cool guys, optimum gearing can come any time!

brody previously posted:
    "Sunday was my rear axle day and Bear came over to help with this.
    <snip>"

More good news, congrats!

brody previously posted:
    "No physical damage except for a slice from some metal on a finger (Pete) and a smashed finger (Bear). I watched him do this-his aim was great!"

Small price to pay IMHO!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: 3axles, 2guys, 2 rigs, 2 days

Sorry, Bear. I was just counting running rigs with 4wheel drive...and yeah, I know that the Rusticle is running, but a blown head gasket took it out of the equation.

A lot of work is right!