2000 XJ Chop Top Sport
    User Name
    SynergyXJ
    Real Name
    Evan
    Thanks Given

Default Re: SynergyXJ Re-Build

Test Run with Excessive Carnage

I took the rig up with two other XJs for a little test run and camping. We said we'd just take it easy, as all three had some kind of limiting issue.
    (This post is really for pictures of the semi-completed project)

It's going pretty smoothly, then rig #3 smashes out the rear window (which is unrelated to the following picture of rig #1)

Coming back down from where the window smash happens, I'm getting near a tree and realize it's going to take my side mirror off. It did, and also cracked the front windshield a bit. Cracks continue to propagate. Another unrelated picture:

We get back to camp and I smell gear oil. Sure enough, my rear diff cover plug popped out. How does this happen? I don't know. I lost a bit of oil and couldn't find the plug. Later in the night, I stumble across the plug! In the morning, I refill the diff and replace the plug. I'm glad I had gear oil with me, never thought I'd actually need it on the trail.

We hit another trail in the morning then decide to call it a day. Or maybe we'll run another trail, it's only early afternoon. We ran another trail. Coming down a steep, narrow pass, rig #3 breaks the pitman arm. Just cracked it right off the steering box. We try to pull it up to the main trail to fix it, but the tires are sideways and there isn't anything we're going to do about it. We decide to try battery welding the arm to the output shaft just to get to the trailhead. I drove back to my house in Arvada to get welding supplies and my old, damaged pitman arm just in case. The old pitman arm went on moderately well over the stripped output shaft splines, good enough to get off the trail. Related picture:

While I'm running errands, rig #2 turns around to get ready to fix rig #3 and plops it on a stump, bending the tie rod pretty far. I don't even know about this until about 8 or 9pm when we're finally recovered and back on the trailhead. The tierod is bent so far the tires are toed in and squeeking and clacking all over the road, we have to do something about it. Yet another trip back to Arvada to get fix supplies from my house, this time the HF pipe bender to straighten the tie rod and my old tie rod. We get back and bend the tie rod enough to get it off and put my old rod on around midnight, nearly 10 hours of carnage later than planned. Although we had two rigs totally disabled, we were able to fix both of them using scrap parts from my rig sitting in my back yard. The moral of the story is to keep all your old parts around, I guess. And don't go on the last run after you're inclined to stop. That's when everything seems to go downhill. Last unrelated picture:

Carnage Summary:
    Rig #1 - Cracked windshield, removed passenger side mirror
    Rig #2 - Bent tie rod, undriveable toe-in condition, and the typical beat the crap out of it
    Rig #3 - Smashed out rear window, cracked pitman arm, no steer condition

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

SynergyXJ previously posted:
    "
    "

Good to hear you all had fun, but sorry to hear of the carnage. Though the photo above really offends me. I hope this is on private property. If it's not, I hope that the trail leads straight up that face, or that is considered off the trail. Too many people think it's ok to do stuff like this, or take poser flex shots while on a rock that's not part of the defined trail. That is not treading lightly, or staying the trail. Please don't continue this behavior or post such photos. It gives all off roaders a bad name. If this is private property, please disregard above.

Last Online
    July 31st, 2019
    4x4
    2000 XJ Chop Top Sport
    User Name
    SynergyXJ
    Real Name
    Evan
    Thanks Given

@Brucker - I fully believe in Tread Lightly, staying on trail and overall minimizing erosion and human impact. Similarly, I understand the impact that posting heavy-treading pictures has on the entire off-road community. I do not consider where I was to be off trail, the fact that you bring it up immediately as potential off-trail situation introduces my own concern of what is considered trail.

When a numbered road widens from single track to a 30 foot wide trail, is all of the 30' wide trail fair game? Can one play on rocks in the middle and on the edge of that 30'? How far can one go on rocks that are half on-trail and half off-trail? Half way, I presume.

Sometimes people avoid obstacles by going off trail and around it. I denounce this behavior, but when it happens for years, that side trail wears in to trail like depth. Years later when I get to this trail and the side trail is worn in enough to confuse which was the original trail from the side trail, is it still going off trail to take that new route or is it just part of the trail now (even though it should have never been worn in)?

Regardless, if erosion and human impact are the primary factors in treading lightly, then at the very least I did not cause measurable erosion to that rock and really the human impact I'm most concerned with was dripping gear oil, which I did clean as best as I could. Most certainly, if I am in the wrong, it is not because I need to learn respect for staying on the trail nor why/how to minimize my impact.

Furthermore, we say "stay on trail" but we make no distinction between surface. Going off trail in dirt, rutting it out, taking out trees is absolutely unacceptable. I'm not saying it's okay to go off trail if the surface is hard, but if one were to stay entirely on hard rock surface, it would be virtually undetectable. I am incredibly conscious of the environmental impact of my actions in all aspects of my life - everything from driving over rocks to considering the impact from materials, mining, manufacturing and transportation of the everyday items and food I buy. Again, I'm not justifying going off trail, I am questioning if I was off trail and making it clear that I am aware of human impact.

That all being said, I don't want to downplay your concern, as it is valid especially in light of the recent China Wall closure.

I'm curious to ask other people's opinions of various trail options when we're out and I see a questionable route. For now, I'll pull the picture down.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

dam Evan sounds like you have the same issue my buddy Vic in Utah....Vic's back yard special kept my Sami running for many months and cleaned out his yard....cant beat free.95

Last Online
    July 31st, 2019
    4x4
    2000 XJ Chop Top Sport
    User Name
    SynergyXJ
    Real Name
    Evan
    Thanks Given

Whoa buddy, 3-1/2 years later, it's time for some more build posts! Not only have I built some good stuff on this XJ, I've added two more XJ's and an F-350 to my vehicle collection [plus a 2012 WRX, I'm up to 5 ] Might take several posts over several days to get my build thread back up to speed.

Regearing:

I regeared to 4.88 with a set of Motive Gears back in May of 2016 and I only took one picture. Here it is:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234