Bought this about 4 years ago from a roommate for $800. He was moving to Cali and didn't think it would pass emissions there. Runs great and always passes here. He had just installed a new clutch and it had 31's on chrome wheels. Otherwise basically stock.
4Runner was a 5 speed with a 22re that was all bone stock. Plan was to make this a fun Summer rig where the top and doors come off. Also wanted to use it as a reliable rig for longer distance trips.
First thing I did (besides taking the top and doors off all Summer!) was to install a used rear electric locker geared 4.30. Also put in a front 4.30 IFS diff. I put in the Downey cable conversion kit for the e-locker. This was apparently a 1st generation cable locker model and is a POS. Only worked right 1 or 2 times. It hasn't worked since and I had to eventually disconnect it. Just haven't gotten around to taking it out. Eventually put in a Lock Right in the front, but it was so MISERABLE that the first thing I did after the 1 Moab trip with it was to take it out and sell it. The rear e-locker is more than sufficient.
Next I got a front used ARB bumper stuffed with a brand new Milemarker 12,000 electric winch. Also put on a custom made rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. Also put on a used Wilderness products roof rack with all the attachments. Has 2 offroad lights mounted on it, 60" hi-lift jack, Pull-pal recovery anchor, flat bladed shovel, and a Pulaski (sp?). Has plenty of room for cargo, but it is heavy and definately drags on the highway.
I put in a set of used Downey front HD torsion bars from a 4Runner I used to own. These carry the additional weight nicely. Also installed ulra low profile poly bumpstops. Front also got Sonoran Steel IFS brace. The rear got rear TJ coils and a set of Downey lift shackles with poly bushings. Rides on 32" Goodyear MTR's on stock steel wheels.
Inside I decided to replace the front seats with a pair from a 1990 4Runner. The original seats had springs that were uncomfortable even though the seats appeared fine. 90 seats are much more comfy and also have better bolster and more adjustments. Installed a "brand new" Pioneer pull-out tape deck (yes, I love these!). Also installed a Cobra CB with weather band feature. Made a bikini top for the shorter Summer trips since the roof rack isn't compatible. Also made a set of 1/2 doors which I would still like to make "windows" for. Also have a set of quick release hinges.
Extras include a Mobi-Arc 90amp alternator upgrade with new brushes, Ready Welder on-board welder, ARB compressor, Warn recovery kit, fullsize tire chains.
Install 2nd fuel tank where spare used to be. Need to figure out how to plumb it to work how I want it to. Been sitting in the garage for about 3 years!
SR5 gauge set with tach
Replace rear seats with 1990 seats
Rebuild/replace rear bumper with one that has additional carrying capacity and opens both directions.
Finish building custom full floating rear axle with disc brakes.
Install Budbuilt t-case mount and skid plate that is waiting for it (done)
Install the KN air filter that is waiting for it.
Hopefully a dual t-case!
Possibly dual batteries.