4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default 1987 Toyota 4Runner

Bought this about 4 years ago from a roommate for $800. He was moving to Cali and didn't think it would pass emissions there. Runs great and always passes here. He had just installed a new clutch and it had 31's on chrome wheels. Otherwise basically stock.

4Runner was a 5 speed with a 22re that was all bone stock. Plan was to make this a fun Summer rig where the top and doors come off. Also wanted to use it as a reliable rig for longer distance trips.

First thing I did (besides taking the top and doors off all Summer!) was to install a used rear electric locker geared 4.30. Also put in a front 4.30 IFS diff. I put in the Downey cable conversion kit for the e-locker. This was apparently a 1st generation cable locker model and is a POS. Only worked right 1 or 2 times. It hasn't worked since and I had to eventually disconnect it. Just haven't gotten around to taking it out. Eventually put in a Lock Right in the front, but it was so MISERABLE that the first thing I did after the 1 Moab trip with it was to take it out and sell it. The rear e-locker is more than sufficient.

Next I got a front used ARB bumper stuffed with a brand new Milemarker 12,000 electric winch. Also put on a custom made rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. Also put on a used Wilderness products roof rack with all the attachments. Has 2 offroad lights mounted on it, 60" hi-lift jack, Pull-pal recovery anchor, flat bladed shovel, and a Pulaski (sp?). Has plenty of room for cargo, but it is heavy and definately drags on the highway.

I put in a set of used Downey front HD torsion bars from a 4Runner I used to own. These carry the additional weight nicely. Also installed ulra low profile poly bumpstops. Front also got Sonoran Steel IFS brace. The rear got rear TJ coils and a set of Downey lift shackles with poly bushings. Rides on 32" Goodyear MTR's on stock steel wheels.

Inside I decided to replace the front seats with a pair from a 1990 4Runner. The original seats had springs that were uncomfortable even though the seats appeared fine. 90 seats are much more comfy and also have better bolster and more adjustments. Installed a "brand new" Pioneer pull-out tape deck (yes, I love these!). Also installed a Cobra CB with weather band feature. Made a bikini top for the shorter Summer trips since the roof rack isn't compatible. Also made a set of 1/2 doors which I would still like to make "windows" for. Also have a set of quick release hinges.

Extras include a Mobi-Arc 90amp alternator upgrade with new brushes, Ready Welder on-board welder, ARB compressor, Warn recovery kit, fullsize tire chains.

To-Do List:
    Install 2nd fuel tank where spare used to be. Need to figure out how to plumb it to work how I want it to. Been sitting in the garage for about 3 years!
    SR5 gauge set with tach
    Replace rear seats with 1990 seats
    Rebuild/replace rear bumper with one that has additional carrying capacity and opens both directions.
    Finish building custom full floating rear axle with disc brakes.
    Install Budbuilt t-case mount and skid plate that is waiting for it (done)
    Install the KN air filter that is waiting for it.
    Hopefully a dual t-case!
    Possibly dual batteries.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 1987 Toyota 4Runner

General over-all pics. Detailed pics will hopefully follow soon!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

1/2 doors pics

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Pics when it first came home!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Forgot that I made a diamond plate aluminum tailgate panel. Also took some other shots today.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

More pics from today.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Bud-Built t-case crossmember went in this evening. Pics to follow tomorrow. Also have to attach the skidplate still.
    http://www.budbuilt.com/new/single_cross_members.html

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Impressive! I am always impressed when I see what people have done on their own. What you did is one reason I am here, to learn from those who know. I need a welding class...

One question. In your third set of pictures, the fifth one posted, what is that metal rusted thing?

Thanks

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

That would be the Pull-pal on the roofrack. It hasn't been used by me yet. Go figure. Haven't needed it! Have set it up and make sure it all works, but really it just sits on the rack. Might have to sand it down and spray it again.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Like the 1/2 doors!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Lots of thinking, measuring, careful cutting, etc. Hardest part is what to do with the handle to open the door. Nice to have though for Summer! Easy to do for most any rig!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Pathrat

Jon and I proposed doing a hands on welding class and giving everyone the benefit of our experience. Bear and Jeff would also probably help as they also weld. Both Bear and I are self taught, but I think Jon actually has some real training. I don't know about Jeff, just know that he welds. We would have 3 welders or more, plus helmets, gloves, etc., which would be great. I think that all of us could learn something from this.

If we can set up a time that works, and if Jon is willing to use his barn for the room, Bear and I could bring our rigs, helmets and other junk (including junk to weld) over. What would be nice is if people who are interested also brought stuff that they really need or wanted to get welded up. Two birds with one stone...

Wouldn't be a good idea to bring kids, so keep that in mind.

I'll wait to see what Jon's reply is and go from that, so be watching.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I am self taught, and DEFINATELY still learning. Only started this past Winter really. My little POS 90amp gasless does the job but I don't use it for anything that needs to have real strength.

I could bring the 90 amp as well as my ReadyWelder, 2 masks, pair of gloves. Give some people a chance to try out a couple different things with the Readywelder. I don't mind giving the basic "tips" on how the welder works and such. Not a good teacher on technique as I am still getting mine down. Could definately learn some things myself.

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Yeah the barn works just fine for me. I'll have to work it in after funrover's camper is out. But yeah. I have both 110 and 220 wired in so we can run whatever. I have lots of scrap steel but it's always great to have more. we'll have everyone contribute some rod or wire i'll fire up the grill and make a day of it.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Pics of old crossmember and new crossmember. What a difference! Shaved off about 1-2" and is nice and flat. Also likely considerably stronger.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Thanks Brody! I don't have anything that needs welding, that I KNOW of, or parts to donate. However, I do think this would be super-cool to watch! I am very interested in how it all works and why.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Who did the skid plate? I don't recognize the design. Always good to lose some inches, too.

No need to donate anything. Most of us who do any welding or fab stuff don't throw any steel away, so we have 'junk' lying around. I could probably get High Country or Altitude Steel to donate some more 'junk', too.

LaDawn welded a couple of my roll cage gussets on since she hadn't ever welded anything and wanted to try it. It is certainly not a bad thing to know how to do.

Thanks Jeff! I think that this would be fun and informative. I have been welding for years, but with no formal training, 110, 220, wire feed and stick, and just did some reading and a lot of welding. Still could learn a lot, though.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

brody previously posted:
    "Jon and I proposed doing a hands on welding class"

I'd be interested in this. I spent a couple years as a sheet metal fabricator and did plenty of welding but 25 years have past since then. I think I'd pick it up pretty easily again but I'll never know until I try.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Sorry, forgot to answer that the cross member is Budbuilt. It is apparently a very early one, maybe one of the first. Has a detachable skid plate.

So I drained the oil from the 4Runner overnight. Hadn't put 70 miles on it in the last year. Also hadn't changed the oil in a year. Anyone ever changed oil and forgot to put the drain plug back in? Luckily the oil pan was still under it. Unfortunately it was basically full and ran all over the edges onto the driveway. Only good news is that the driveway is all crumbled and will hopefully be replaced this fall.

Took the 4Runner out this afternoon. Runs and drives great. Forgot just how gutless it really is though. Not sure why the 22re in it has so little power, even compared to my truck with a 22r. Same gears and nearly same tire size. Go figure. Started looking at upgrades after having it out this afternoon!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

So the poor old radiator in the 4Runner has been weeping for a couple years. Now it actually has a little stream of antifreeze. Being that it is supposed to head to Utah in 6 days, I finally decided it needed a radiator. Got a "used" Howe aluminum radiator at a good price. Never installed. Hoping that it works out well for my needs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast