Default DODGE AND MOPAR INFORMATION AND LINKS

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: Mopar Links

Researching some information for Chris with the big Dodge, I cam up with some more Dodge links. These are filled with information...

Here they are:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archi....php/f-19.html

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/arch....php/f-87.html

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.....asp?id=300759

This one has a lot of parts for 4x4 Dodges:

http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Frt%20Axle&Steering.htm

Posi Lock replacement upgrade:

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

Solid Steel Steering upgrades:

http://www.solidsteel.biz/

What you can do with a Dodge 1500...this one was for sale..:

http://www.lockitupoffroad.net/phpBB...t=2579&start=0

Another well documented 1500 build up article with pictures

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Dodge Truck Death Wobble Article

I came across this article when I was looking for some other Dodge information. It seems to informative and deals with a recurring Dodge issue, so I went ahead and posted it to help anyone with the same problem.
    PB

Thursday, February 12, 2009
    Dodge Ram 2500 Death Wobble Cure. Updated

UPDATE: The death wobble is back. I was just about to let them close the ticket, and it's back. The problem is not as harsh, it feels different too (more steering wheel movement now) and the truck comes out of it easier, but unmistakeable, it's back and severe enough the truck is back to unsafe to drive over 50 mph. I guess the bar i installed kept it in bay until the problem found another component to wear out or otherwise express itself. The dealer I am working with is trying to get approval to replace the front axle (entirely), but I am done. I will never trust this truck again, and am pushing for high retail based on mileage and condition from Edmunds. I have a pretty strong case for it, and they know one drive with the local "troubleshooters" from a local TV station with the camera on, it could get the exposure needed to enforce the recall that is so desperately needed. Some engineer deep in Dodge knows the design flaw, knows exactly what is going on, they absolutely know what it takes to fix this, we will see if it ever reaches the light of day though.

If anyone has bought the bar, and it helped, be wary, it may not be a permanent fix. If you did buy the bar and it failed completely, I apologize for sending you astray, it did cure me for a short time.
    :END UPDATE.

If you have experienced the Dodge Ram 2500 "Death Wobble" as described here and here I know exactly what you are going through. This entry outlines the trials and eventual solution I found to the Dodge "Death Wobble" and how, in my opinion, it is due to a fundamental design flaw in the suspension and steering of this truck.

Your local Dodge dealer will start with charging you to perform Technical Service Bulletin # 22-005-06. This failed to have any effect on my truck. They then started a systematic "let's just replace things until it's fixed" campaign and once I reached $1200 I refused to do any more and got Dodge involved. This took about a week, but the next step was to try to enforce lemon law on my 2005 Dodge 2500. To his credit, the dealer that was working on it confirmed with Dodge that they could not fix this truck.

At this point, Dodge asked for one more try and I gave them my truck and they gave it to another dealer. They replaced ball joints, tried extra tough shocks, replaced a CV joint and at this point, the ONLY original part under the front of my truck was the front axle. In parallel, I had heard of and read up on what is known as a Steering Box Stabilizer

I had ordered this part and gave it to the Dodge dealer working on my truck. The techs tried to tell me the frame on the Dodge is open at the front so that the frame can flex to "improve the ride". As someone who has experienced the death wobble hundreds of times, (and in my opinion, this will kill people at some point), you know the massive amount of energy in the wobble to shake a truck this size like a child with a rag doll that frame flex on a heavy duty truck just doesn't sound right. The reason I ordered the part, the frame is big enough to act as a resonant frequency energy storage and return mechanism. I insisted they install it, and guess what, no more Death Wobble. The owner of the dealership tried 6 times to get it to happen at the exact spot he knew it would and it no longer does. I have had the truck back for a week, and timidly at first, then with more and more speed/force, I tried, in all the spots it always happened before, to get it into the death wobble and it is just rock solid.

I am almost to the point where I am putting this nightmare behind me, and I have now gone on a few trips without even thinking about it. Here is a list of all the attempted "fixes" done to my truck.

TSB mentioned above.
    PARTS REQUIRED:
    qt. 1 52106909ae Steering Damper
    qt. 1 05086146ac Outer Tie Rod Package
    qt. 1 05086144ac Tie Rod and outer link
    qt. 2 06505623aa Nut and Washer

Post TSB (in rough order of attempts)
    Remove Dealer installed Lift - No Effect (made them put it back).
    Smaller Tires - was better (likely due to simply smaller mass) but by no means fixed.
    Harder Shocks, Extra hard shocks - no effect (will probably make matters worse, see below)
    Trackbar - No Effect
    New Steering Gear - No Effect (they put original back back).
    Every tie rod end, pitman arm, stabilizer bar - Minor changes in the way it happened, but no fix.
    Heavy duty Steering Damper
    CV joint on Axle - maybe a little better.

The above is what I know about, the experiment may have included other items.

Here is what I propose is the root cause of the problem. I couldn't find a good picture on the web, however, if you look at the frame rails you will see that the steering gear is located IN FRONT of the last cross-member. When anything under your front end suspension starts to wear out, a quick shock, like a bump at speed will cause enough force to cause the steering gear to flex which flexes the frame. Almost instantly, the frame flexes back, and through the suspension (a single wobble) forcing the other frame rail to absorb to energy and then back again. This resonant transfer of energy has nothing to dampen it (especially if you have extra hard shocks, the act more like stiff steel rods, not dissapating any energy) until you slow almost to a stop. More specifically, you panic, slow down, hope you don't lose control and cause an accident with someone running into you from behind, pullover, wait for your heart to slow down, then try driving again.

I simply refuse to believe that in a heavy duty truck like this, the engineers intended or planned on letting the frame flex under a Cummings Diesel engine, but you know the story, sometimes they will say anything. In my case, and reading others trials, the steering box stabilizer fixed the problem. I believe it works because it boxes the frame in front of the steering gear and does not allow the frame rails in front of the last cross-member to act like a large tuning fork.

So, if you are reading this, if you can get the TSB installed at Dealer cost, let them, but before you let them continue on a replace part fest, I would try the steering box stabilizer. It is slightly over $200, which is a small priced experiment to try because, if you read all the forums, the parts list can run over $1K in no time, and it is simply because they don't know (the dealers, I think the engineers at Dodge totally know the root cause) how to fix the problem.

Shameless plug here, and full disclosure, I have NO AFFILIATION whatsoever with them, but the people at Geno's Garage (direct link to the part) were very helpful as well as having the best price (at the time of this post) but as always, a Google search on "Steering Box Stabilizer" will bring up many online vendors of this part.

Please let me know if you try this, if it works, if it doesn't help. I am not here to sell steering box stabilizers, but if it works for others, I will continue to update and get the word out. If enough people get fixed by this part, I will take it to the next level and force the recall that Dodge should have issued long ago.

My ticket is still open with Dodge, they want me to have it another 2 weeks problem free before they close the ticket, and at that time, I have been told I will be reimbursed for the part. I will be inisting on a major portion of the $1200 in wasted parts too though and will keep you update on that as well.
    Posted by TripleII at 6:49 PM
    2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found a multitude of trucks with this same defect. I, too, have fought with Chrysler corp. There stance is unacceptable when they have a recall on the radio speakers of these very trucks. Trucks they refuse to repair if they are not under warranty. As a medic who has experienced the Death Wobble, I agree...some one will die. If they haven't already. I am attempting to find an attorney to create a class action suit that will force Chrysler to reconsider how they are handling these trucks. I am reachable at dodgedeathwobble@yahoo.com.
    8:10 PM

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

DODGE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL LINKS:

Thanks to Randy for these.

2001RAM TRUCK1500 - 3500

http://rs158.rapidshare.com/files/53...01DodgeRam.zip

2004 Dodge RAM Truck 1500-2500-3500 Service Manual.pdf

Last Online
    July 16th, 2023
    4x4
    2000 Runner
    User Name
    moose
    Real Name
    Andrew aka Drew aka AC
    Thanks Given

Default Re: DODGE AND MOPAR INFORMATION AND LINKS

These guys make solid products. Check out the steering gear box stabilizer. Just don't believe their lead times and expect the paint to flake off.
    http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/

Suspension components. Beefy short arms.
    http://www.hellbentsteel.com/

Another suspension company. I mention them because of their end link design.
    http://www.topguncustomz.com/

If you're swapping steering shafts, do this as well...or if your steering wheel is already loose
    http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Lots of parts, including complete locking hub conversion kits.
    http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/

And in regards to the article on death wobble. I personally believe it is an issue that can vary between vehicles. Mine was resolved by replacing a broken end link that I didn't know was busted until I swapped it out with an aftermarket one. Also, there is an issue with using a steering brace that connects to both frame bars because they do flex. And when they do, it puts strain on the gear box. That is why I pointed out the DOR version, it also doubles as a rock guard.