4x4
    Sold them all, JTR coming soon
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Default Wrenching Days/Clinics?

I looked around, and it appears that this doesn't occur; at least not with any modicum of regularity. Some of us have tools and know how, some don't and want to learn, and some just want to hang out and have a good time. Personally, I'm always itching to wrench but don't always have anything small to do or the resources to tackle anything too big. I read in the tech help section where a guy bought a Tacoma that maybe needed a new engine. He languished over it for quite a while, but it seems to me like the sort of thing that could probably be fetched from Jim's Yota Yard or something and swap it in a day. Less if there are enough competent hands... He just didn't have the know how or the tools. Back when I had my FJ40, I got together with some Rising Sun folks and we took an FJ60 from running/driving to a bare cab sitting on a bare chassis before lunch time! The only thing still on the truck was the wheels, axles, and suspension so it could be moved and the parking brake so it could be prevented from doing so. My car club back in Dallas started with wrenching days once a month where people who knew what they were doing would help those who didn't get their cars up and running so they could come to the other club events, and eventually hit critical mass to where we were having multiple sessions going across the metroplex nearly every weekend. Things as minor as simple tune up clinics to full-on suspensions, engines, and what have you.

Things I can offer:
    -welding
    -metal work
    -metal fab
    -general mechanical
    -engine building
    -I can read a manual (an often overlooked skill)
    -I'm a carburetor weezard (if you have carb-related emissions issues or altitude tuning issues, I'm your freakin' guy)
    -I'm also pretty good with distributors (I helped Pertronix with the development of their SVDA distributor for dual carburetor VW applications)
    -I'm great with diagnostics (provided there's not too much computerized electrickery mucking things up)
    -I'm great tuning both gas and diesel
    -I'm really good with electrical systems (again though, not so much with the computers...)

Tools:
    -welder
    -engine lift and stand
    -wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.
    -specialty VW stuff if there are any bajas or rails running around
    -specialty GM diesel/mechanical diesel stuff

Skills I'd like to learn:
    -tubing bending
    -modern automotive electronics (computers, sensors, fuel injection, etc.)
    -forced induction
    -I'd like more metal fab practice; I'm decent, but I could always be better
    -paint and body; same as with metal fab
    -I'm always down to check out the engineering vernacular of various platforms. I've never been in a Jeep (mechanically) for instance.

Obviously, while this is going on, someone has to take care of cooking hotdogs or hamburgers or something, someone has to make sure the beer is properly consumed, sockets must be fetched, greasy things degreased, etc. I've found that in most non-professional shop settings (and I'm sure a number of professional ones) a leaner to wrencher ratio of 2:1 must be maintained.

Is there any interest in this sort of thing? What else can people bring to the table? Who has projects they need help on? Maybe a project that they don't need help on, but wouldn't mind some leaners? Something keeping a rig off the road or trail, some modification they've been gathering parts for, some major repair that is just too expensive to have a shop do....

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to spectre6000 For This Post:

carpenle (January 8th, 2015),Rick (January 4th, 2015),SubAlpine (January 7th, 2015)

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Wrenching Days/Clinics?

spectre6000 previously posted:
    "Back when I had my FJ40, I got together with some Rising Sun folks and we took an FJ60 from running/driving to a bare cab"

That was the raffle truck build at Ige's, right? I spent some time on that as well and a group can get a lot done in a short time.

We've had a few of these over the years but not with the regularity that RS does. On the flip side we do a helluva more runs that they do so things balance out.

I'm pretty sure anyone interested in hosting such a day would get a good reception.

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

I was only involved at the very beginning with the teardown. Don't know what became of it. I sold my 40 not long after that. It was a ton of fun though!

Last Online
    June 8th, 2018
    4x4
    86 Ford Bronco, 99 Ford Ranger.
    User Name
    javaman34
    Real Name
    Jerry
    Thanks Given

Nowbthatnis a pretty good idea. The only problem I see is having a place to have it. Since there really isn't a way to tell how many will attend, it is difficult to judge how large a place will be needed. Be a shame to have it at someone's house in a cul-de-sac and have 10-15 rigs show up.

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Typically, whoever is having the work done on their rig hosts (and provides the majority of the food, or at least the main part). As for street parking issues... That's never come up in practice in my experience. I guess worst case scenario, if things get too crowded the host would likely know somewhere people could park nearby and someone could shuttle. Seriously though, I've been involved in a ton of work days, and that has never happened. Too many people yes (that's why we ended up having multiple work days in different places), parking no. It's a problem to be addressed if and when it occurs.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

javaman34 previously posted:
    "it is difficult to judge how large a place will be needed"

That easily resolved by simply stating a specific number of trucks permitted. I recall a couple of these at Brody's - one was Toyota axle rebuilding and another was body/fender trimming. He had room for six trucks in his garage and driveway and neighbors that were okay with it.

Obviously not everyone would have similar setups, for example I live in a condo with one underground parking spot and two vehicles. I'd probably set a record for the most complaints in the shortest time.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

"I was only involved at the very beginning with the teardown. Don't know what became of it. I sold my 40 not long after that. It was a ton of fun though!"

It was a fund raiser and the 60 was raffled off, won by someone that wasn't local as I recall.

Last Online
    32 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

I don't have much in they way of skills to offer, but sure could use someone with welding skills to weld on a set of teraflex front lower control are skid plates.

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Here's a video of the install of that particular component. One banana.

If you volunteer to host etc., I'll volunteer a MIG and instruction if I'm the best welder present (I see there are some pros in the group). My MIG is 110V, so it's pretty portable and doesn't have any special needs. Only welds up to 1/4", but I've never encountered anything thicker than that in an automotive application.

At a minimum you'll want the plates (check), probably a few pieces of scrap steel the same thickness as the plates AND the control arm mounts (they're different thicknesses) to get the hang of welding on. You'll probably also need a cutoff wheel to cut the learning scrap into usable dimensions.

If you want to do it the Right Way™, you'll also want a sponge, some soapy water, and some not-soapy water to clean things up ahead of time, a power sanding device for paint removal (I might have some sanding discs for my angle grinder, but it may be a little big for the available space), some weld through primer (I'm anal about rust prevention), regular primer, and enamel paint. Also make sure you have the torque spec for the control arm bolt; they say you can leave it in, but I'd probably take it out to protect that bushing from the heat.

Start around ten, do the welding clinic, break for lunch, weld the parts, celebrate with a beer, call it a day, home before dinner!

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I have a lot of tech knowledge and am spoiled as a tech to have a shop at my disposal, however not really a place to have a large tech session. I love helping out and don't mind lending my expertise.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I like the concept, bump...

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

It sounds like interest and participation will be non-issues. We just need people to sign up with projects that need doing or clinics they feel qualified to teach.

I got my '74 FJ40 to 15 mpg with a slightly tired stock 1.5F engine and an incredibly worn 3-speed non-synchro tranny that sounded like the input bearing races were made of sandpaper. I had it emissions tested for fun, (even though my truck was exempt because I'm that kind of nerd) and got something like a 17 ppm HC out of the max allowable 1000 ppm. The lowest PPM spec is 220 for '81 and newer, and after that they go to grams per mile. I don't know how one would convert formulaically, but I've seen some emissions reports of 2000+ cars that were tested both ways, and a low/high idle test that read 71.2/53.5ppm then read .1144 on the 1.2 limit g/m test. Pretty sure my '74 pre-emissions, pre-catalyst FJ40 would have passed the same as (or likely better than) a Prius all through carb tuning. Add to that the power, throttle response, and fuel economy... I see, hear, and smell so many poorly tuned older trucks running around here and see/hear people complaining about terrible fuel economy that it makes me sad. If only they knew!!!

If someone in an older (no electronics and minimal emissions kit) carbureted rig wants to have their carb tuned properly and is willing to invest in an assortment of jets, a carb rebuild and/or kit (rebuild it ahead of time so we're not just sitting around waiting for carb cleaner to do its thing), a solid tune up, and an O2 bung (I want to say Bud's muffler charged me $8 for the bung and not much more for the install when I had an exhaust made there a few years back), I'll volunteer to do a deep dive carb tuning clinic with a wideband.

Last Online
    July 2nd, 2015
    4x4
    2013 White JKU
    User Name
    Myrtle Turtle
    Real Name
    Jill
    Thanks Given

I'm from N Texas too and having a party to share the work of wrenching is really common in the off road community down there. I'll be doing some front end work over Presidents Day weekend and had planned to post up that helpers and visitors are welcome. I'll start up a new thread when it gets closer, but I'll be replacing my knuckles and doing unit bearings and ball joints and likely tie rod ends along the way.

I picked up a used set of these last fall from a friend who sold his Jeep.

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Are you the first official volunteer?

Last Online
    August 28th, 2020
    4x4
    1989 Bronco II
    User Name
    robotzombies
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

I guess I should chime in on this, since I'm new to the 4x4 world. I have a truck that I'd like to start switching out some components, since it's pretty close to stock. I'd be interested in something like this, though I have no way of hosting, so I'd only be a participant/helper/pizza bringer.

Last Online
    March 24th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
    User Name
    JFjeld
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

I came from a club in IA and we hosted Talk and Tune' events as projects came by. Anywhere from lunchbox locker installs to my dual axle swap and lift install.

Over the next 1-2 weeks, I'll be installing a new cat-back exhaust and replacing the rear sway-bar bushings in my TJ. I have a 3-car garage outfitted with a stereo, basic tools, jack stands, jack, etc. No welder or compressor, and no 220 hookup (yet). I'd be happy to offer my space if people wanted to bring their vehicles/tools over. We could grill at my place or chip-in for pizza. I always have beer. I'm located in Frederick.

I'll be doing my projects regardless, let me know if you want to utilize my space for yours...

18. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to JFjeld For This Post:

carpenle (January 8th, 2015),Rick (January 8th, 2015)

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

If you want to specify a time, we can start a pseudo signup sheet here in the thread.

I have a reasonably portable 110V MIG to contribute to projects pretty much wherever should it be needed. No truck at the moment to move it (hopefully soon though), but if someone from the Broomfield area wants to carpool we can save a parking space and be able to weld!

Last Online
    March 24th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
    User Name
    JFjeld
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Because I'm a last-minute planner, I've decided to tackle my projects tomorrow (Saturday) starting at 10. My exhaust is set to deliver today, and I've already got my bushings. Bolts are soaking in PB Blaster and I plan to hit them again tonight.

I'm still offering my place if anyone has projects, or is bored and wants to stop by. If so, send me a PM and I'll provide my address. As I stated before, I'm in Frederick, off of I-25, between Hwy 52 and Hwy 119. If this weekend doesn't work out, I'm sure we could do this some other weekend.

Last Online
    December 11th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    spectre6000
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Need anything (tools, supplies) in particular?

Last Online
    March 24th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
    User Name
    JFjeld
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

"Need anything (tools, supplies) in particular?"

No, I don't need any tools or supplies for my project. Thanks for the offer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast