97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Default Re: '97 Jeep TJ overhaul

JFjeld previously posted:
    "Looking forward to this build, Aaron. Of course, I'm a tad partial to red TJs..."

Thanks Jason! I will take it even if your opinion is biased

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Waiting on the new wiring harness to arrive so we start on the new tube work. The cage will be integrated into the body and frame in many places, effectively making the entire structure one piece much like most buggies and race chassis are.

Start off with bending up the main hoop, or B pillar hoop, and tack weld it into position. You will notice that it is not too far off the factory's positioning, but the new tube is completely vertical instead of raked rearward. This provides the most possible strength, and given that this area being the "backbone" of the entire cage structure, we believe it's needed.

Bent, notched and tacked two side bars to connect the main hoop to the original cage plates (cage feet) that are still welded into place. Then made a shoulder bar tying all together.

From there we added in each side floor bar, connecting the front hoop's cage mounting plate to the main hoop. Then made up the lower crossbar to tie the two sides together again.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Next addition was a center tube from the shoulder bar to the rectangular tubing.

Then another tube was added in the same line that continued to the lower crossbar. This tying the entire structure together in the center of the rig.

Next we will add some gusseting to the fresh tube work and hopefully start diving into the electrical demons!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Nice work! I like the cage design and attention to detail.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Patrolman For This Post:

Brucker (January 7th, 2015)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Got a little more accomplished but not much. The shop workload is absolutely insane at the moment. But fabricated a couple of gussets to bridge the distances between the center tube structure and the body where the tubes have the longest spans. Again, doing all this to reinforce the center of the rig since everything builds outwards from there.

First gusset get set into position between the center down bar and the freshly fabricated back panel. Then made another one and tack welded it into position directly below the first. This one spans the gap between the lower crossbar and the transfer hump in the floor.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

The new to us wiring harness finally arrived! Now we can finally tear into the dash and hopefully solve the wiring nightmare. We start by removing the glove box, air bags, steering wheel, and the dash trim pieces. Then we removed the dash once we were able to untangle what seemed to be 20 different balls of wiring that kept it connected to the firewall.

Immediately we could spot some major damage done to the original harness. Both from the fire and because of all the improperly installed wiring. Don't recall ever seeing so many cheap splice connectors in one vehicle. You will also notice many bare wires and wires that were just cut and left exposed. And also the fuse that melted as a result. It's no wonder why it caught fire anymore. Just happy it wasn't worse and that it was contained to just the harness itself.

Then its out with the old.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

And in with the new.

We install the new under dash harness following the original factory routing. The only different being that we use zip ties to hold the harness into place instead of tape. This will allow for easier access when needed and a cleaner look.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...9a&oe=5522D144

Then we turn our attention to the dash harnesses. We route the wiring back to factory positioning, again using zip ties instead of tape as our fasteners. It is amazing how clean factory wiring really is.

With all the faulty wiring finally swapped out and replaced, we reassemble the components in order to test everything before moving forward. Once reattached we turn the key to the on position and immediately hear the fuel pump kick on and pressurize the system. Good news! So we turn the ignition to start and get... NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. So we double check all connections and try again. Same result, nothing. Time to start trouble shooting.

After some time, we realized that the harness that was sent to us had a remote start system installed into it at some point. Once found and removed the TJ quickly sprung back to life. GREAT news! Knowing that we conquered this Jeep's electrical demons by completely replacing the entire harness lets us continue with the fabrication.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

This thing is progressing nicely. Love the attention to detail and pride in quality. Very nice work.

Cesare Pavese

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to xaza For This Post:

Brucker (January 9th, 2015)

Last Online
    June 28th, 2022
    4x4
    1999 XJ, 1999 F 250
    User Name
    carpenle
    Real Name
    Levi
    Thanks Given

Very nice work Aaron

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to carpenle For This Post:

Brucker (January 9th, 2015)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Knowing that the Jeep runs well once again and is rid of it's electrical demons, we can start back up with the cage work. Not being big fans of the angle iron A pillar style cages (ie poison Spyder, BTF, etc) we opt to use DOM tubing all the way to the floor/base plates.

Ie angle iron legs:

But as everyone knows, round tubing can take up a lot of precious space. So we decide to run the tube work behind the dash. This will not only allow for the most possible clearances, but will allow us to weld the body to the tube work providing the greatest strength achievable. Having done this multiple times before we know that it's quite simple and will not effect anything behind the dash and will keep the dash completely removable. It will require a small amount of trimming to both sides of the dash.

We layout a section of the sheet metal supporting the windshield frame to remove so the new a pillar can sit as close to the firewall as possible.

Then the piece is removed from both sides.

Once complete we cut, bent, notch the driver side bar.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Then we make a mirror image out of a fresh stick for the passenger side and tack weld both new bars into place.

We make a front spreader bar between the two new front legs and tack weld it into position. And with the rigidity the it provides, we are finally able to test fit the dash. It will need a little more finish trimming, but it quickly and easily slides into place without being impeded.

With the dash in place, we then make and place the windshield bar as tight to the dash as we can get it while still allowing for easy accessibility.

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    06 TJ 6speed :D
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Looks good

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to MultiScuf For This Post:

Brucker (January 14th, 2015)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Next tube gets tacked welded into position between the front spreader and the main, or B pillar, hoop. We then continue this line down from the front spreader to the windshield bar. We fit this tube as close to the windshield as possible.

Moving right along we cut, bend, and notch two more bars to be used as spreaders from front to back. Each will tie it's respected side from the front leg and spreader back to the center of the main hoop. Once fitted perfectly we tack weld each tube into position.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

After a day of work'n on the project, photos and write-up might seem like a bit more work that need not be tended - though I'll say thanks (to you and the other craftsmen and the projects). I appreciate seeing things come together.

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Brucker (January 12th, 2015)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "After a day of work'n on the project, photos and write-up might seem like a bit more work that need not be tended - though I'll say thanks (to you and the other craftsmen and the projects). I appreciate seeing things come together."

Glad you enjoy it. The write up's can become quite tedious as they are time consuming and usually lead to more questions than one may have time for, but I find they are very helpful. Not only as a pimping and promotional tool, but also to show the amount of work that decent fabrication actually takes. A lot of people have a hard time understanding what all actually goes into the entire process. People like to think that since we can make it look easy, that it is indeed just that. Where in reality, it's takes years of experience just to properly do each step of the process in a somewhat timely fashion. Unfortunately, it is VERY difficult to convey just how much thought and design work that goes into the simplest of creations.

Anywho, I truely am happy that this is being enjoyed by at least some Enjoy!

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

If I was in a position to get back into a wheeling rig, this would be it. Your work is incredible. I need to stop by your shop sometime.

22. The Following Member Says Thanks to Beefy For This Post:

Brucker (January 13th, 2015)

Last Online
    July 2nd, 2015
    4x4
    2013 White JKU
    User Name
    Myrtle Turtle
    Real Name
    Jill
    Thanks Given

I have about 50 of those overwhelming questions, but I'll stick to one. What are you going to do about a top? Obviously this isn't going to be daily driven, but it will need something to keep the sun/hail off the driver's head.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Myrtle Turtle previously posted:
    "I have about 50 of those overwhelming questions, but I'll stick to one. What are you going to do about a top? Obviously this isn't going to be daily driven, but it will need something to keep the sun/hail off the driver's head."

Ask them all! It may take me a little bit to get to them all, but I promise to try.

Why wouldn't this be driven daily? Cost of tires? Quite honestly it drives down the road straight and stops well. It has a fully functioning heater, and at the moment it has soft upper doors, bikini top, and a windjammer. We are in CO, 300 days of sunshine annually.

Ok, so I probably wouldn't DD it either, but I have owned much worse (4Runner w/ no top or doors for a couple of years; motorcycle only for a couple years, etc).

As for the final top solution, I thought I had already covered it with Patrolman's post a page or two ago, but since it was missed or misunderstood, I will try again. I am in the process of designing a custom soft top. It will stay with the half cab theme. I haven't found the time to learn how to sew yet, so it will either get done eventually, or I will take it to an upholsterer.

Last Online
    July 2nd, 2015
    4x4
    2013 White JKU
    User Name
    Myrtle Turtle
    Real Name
    Jill
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "As for the final top solution, I thought I had already covered it with Patrolman's post a page or two ago"

I did miss this, guilty of just looking at the pictures the first time through. I DO sew, and was looking at all those angles in the cage roof and thinking that it's going to to be interesting (fun!) making a top that doesn't want to puddle up and sheds the water somewhere other than into the drivers lap. My JK is guilty of this and it looks like that top bar curves out a little wider than the side of the body on your cage which should help a lot with that. I'll keep watching.

"Why wouldn't this be driven daily? Cost of tires?"

Partly tire wear....I did read the part where you were considering putting on 42s....but mostly weather, sure it's sunny today, but it's also 30 out there. Plus it's just a lot of work sometimes wrestling around a big rig and wearing "office work" clothes. I do like the option of having my trail rig street legal in the summer time, but probably wouldn't daily drive that in the winter.....given that I had another option.

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

"Anywho, I truely am happy that this is being enjoyed by at least some Enjoy!"

Looks Great!!!! Out of my budget but I am enjoying the build process... Great Job

27. The Following Member Says Thanks to Rick For This Post:

Brucker (January 14th, 2015)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast