4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Ridgerunners's '97 FZJ80

For the front bumper, I found a design that I liked then laid it out in CAD mainly to get an accurate shape for the side plates but also to have a good idea of where I was heading. Last weekend I started mocking up the center section with cardboard:

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

After I made a few tweaks to the templates, I started cutting steel. Most of the center section will be 1/4" plate. I'll be attaching it to the frame with 5 bolts on each side: 2 in the bottom plate, 2 in the side plate, and one in a tab on top of the frame. Fortunately there are already weld nuts in the frame.

Side plates:

I'll be adding another layer of 1/4" on each side of the D ring tab once I have the center and wings tacked on, so that it will be 3/4" thick.

Started tacking it together:

Put holes in the bottom plates for winch bolt access:

Added the winch platform inside, still need to add some bracing:

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Ran into a snag that I didn't think about. I was planning on recessing the fairlead about 1.5" but It might end up too high. The line in the pic is where the top of the bottom roller will end up. It doesn't quite line up with where to cable will come off the spool, the cable will need to go up ~1'. Anybody see an issue with this? My alternatives are to raise the winch, which I really don't have room to do, or lower the fairlead which will put it below the bottom of the front panel of the bumper where it will be a rock magnet.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

The only issue I see with the design is that when you are pulling a hard load, there will be downward pressure on the roller, which could strain the bolts for the fairlead. The typical design where the fairlead lines up with the cable doesn't put near the force the fairlead whether up/down/sideways.

I think the risk is minimal though that anything would happen. There is even an Aussie company that sells an offset fairlead for issues such as this.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "The only issue I see with the design is that when you are pulling a hard load, there will be downward pressure on the roller, which could strain the bolts for the fairlead. The typical design where the fairlead lines up with the cable doesn't put near the force the fairlead whether up/down/sideways.

I think the risk is minimal though that anything would happen. There is even an Aussie company that sells an offset fairlead for issues such as this."

What Jeff says. Basically it should be fine, but you are adding in an unneeded load and the stresses that are involved with that. In time it will lead to "early" failure, but probably not quick enough to matter.

So why did you need the cardboard templates after working in CAD? Seems like an extra unnecessary and time consuming step if you already have a CAD file made. Not ragging on the mockup technique, I usually do the exact opposite when fabbing on the fly. I mock things up quickly with cardboard/construction paper, then use them for measurements when creating a Solidworks file. From there I can tweak things, save for future reference, and/or load into my CAM software and then cut on one of the CNC's. Were you working only in a 2D program or something?

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "So why did you need the cardboard templates after working in CAD?"

I guess I didn't trust that what I had drawn would actually fit. I took some measurements of the body based on the front of the frame and I wanted to make sure that it was gonna fit the way I wanted it to before I spent the time cutting plate. This is my first time fabbing a plate style bumper from scratch.

I was working in AutoCAD 15 LT, that's what I use at work (we only work in 2d), and it's on my work laptop which I can bring home. I could get on the 3d version at the office after hours but I'm not really proficient with it as I don't use it regularly.

Drawing it gave me an idea of what it would look like in front, side, top, & bottom views but unfortunately it takes a lot of extra work to get a useable template/size of pieces that are not parallel with the view planes.

I went ahead and located the fairlead like a wanted to, we'll see how it works out. I'm headed to the garage in a bit to bolt what I have so far back on the Cruiser to see if I can raise the winch at all. Then I'll start working on the sides.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Made some good progress yesterday. Got the sides tacked in place and a template made for the top plate. I ran out of 3/16" plate so I need to get some more to finish the top as well as some 2" strap for the bottom of the sides. I'll probably also add a couple if inner braces to the sides once the top and bottom plates are in place.

Added a tab to bolt to the top of the frame

Recessed the fairlead a little bit

Hoping to get some more plate this week but I'll be our of town next weekend so work will slow for a bit.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Looks great!

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Quick update, pics to come this weekend. I finally got the bumper done and installed with the winch, and relocated the winch control to under the hood. At some point I'll wire up an in-cab winch control. I ordered a set of 30mm spacers from Man-a-Fre as a poor mans lift until I can get a 2" kit. I'm just going to install the front for now and see how it looks. The pumper is heavy, 103 lbs without the winch, and it lowered the front a little bit. I'll do the rears after I do a rear bumper. I'm also going to do the "Auto Up" mod for the drivers window so it will have the second click and go all the way up without having to hold it.

Other to-do list:
    - Rebuild front knuckles
    - Replace front main seal and oil pump gasket

I have the parts for both, just need the time. And to add to it, one of my best friends just bought a locked '97 LX450 that needs the same work. I for see side by side axle rebuilds in my future.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Ok, so finally a couple of updated pics.

With front bumper and 30mm front coil spacers:

I like the stance and will wait to add the rear spacers until after I do a rear bumper.

I noticed that the vents on the passenger front brake rotor were full of dried mud. Had to use a cordless drill and old drill bit to clean it all out.

I also had to change out a leaking power steering line, and I degreased the motor so I can start tracking down the oil leaks and actually see where they are coming from.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

That was a lot of dirt! Think it has been offroad at all?

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

I does have some signs of being offroad. I noticed some gouges in the tranny cross member and t-case skid plate like it might have been high centered at some point. I doubt it was ever seriously wheeled, but you never know. It was just the passenger front rotor that was full of mud, drivers side was fine.

I really don't know any history on it. I bought it "as is" from a Toyota dealer that took it in on trade, it didn't pass their inspections and they were going to wholesale it. I felt like I got a good enough deal on it that I didn't even bother with a carfax.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Yeah, sometimes you take it how it is if the deal is good!

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Yup, it helped that they handed me the list of problems that their service department found, so I had a pretty good idea of what needed to be done. Luckily, I found that some of it was overstated, and a lot of it was neglected routine maintenance that I'd be doing on any vehicle of that age.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Looking good!

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Long overdue update here. I haven't been active much lately due to other commitments but am looking forward to hopefully getting out more in the next wheeling season. I noticed that a bunch of pics on the first page aren't showing up which is strange as they are still on photobucket.

Since my last post I have completed more routine maintenance including a rebuild of the front axle/knuckles, replaced the oil pump cover gasket & front main seal, new distributor shaft o-ring, a few new vacuum lines, new PCV valve and hoses, & new radiator (due to me breaking the old one while working on the oil pump). Yeah, expensive OOPS!

We headed out on a camping trip last summer with a borrowed pop-up trailer.

During that trip the Cruiser ran way hot with the trailer and I ended up having to have a friend pull it home. It ran fine for the rest of the summer round town in traffic with the AC on full blast, but then I continued to have an overheating problem while pulling I-70 during hunting season. In attempt to remedy that I've done: a new fan clutch, water pump, radiator cap, & thermostat. All OEM Toyota. The only opportunity I've had to test the result was towing my old Subi home from my parents in Aurora last weekend and it ran fine but I really won't know until it gets hot out.

More to come.....

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

RidgeRunner previously posted:
    "Long overdue update here.

More to come....."

Nice Dave, the buildings in the background sure look familiar!

(Dave's parent's live where I do - I feel old when realizing I'm the same age og most of your parents/grandparents.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

On to the new mods....

I picked up a set of Old Man Emu Medium duty 2" lift springs from Brandtrbs, and finally got some FOX 2.0 IFP shocks to go with them late last summer. I also picked up some castor correction bushings and stainless brake lines from Slee Offroad.

Before with 30mm spacers up front:

After w/ same spacers up front:

A friend of mine that works at a machine shop also custom milled me some aluminum front and rear bump stop spacers. I wish I had taken some pics of them before they went it because they looked cool.

I also picked up some new shoes right after Christmas, another set of 285/75-16 Duratracs:

Due to the lift the rear axle was pulled to the passenger side by ~3/8". I got the idea off Ih8mud to modify the rear trac bar by adding threaded tube inserts and use a 3/4" 16 x 6" grade 8 bolt as the adjuster. I got that done today.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

A few other pics from this last few months:

Obligatory flex shot pre-lift on OCG last summer.

Got onto a pretty nasty road during hunting season in September, doesn't look bad here but there were a few good pucker moments. The Taco in front of me didn't know he had a rear diff lock until he burred it in a mud hole and I finally asked since I saw the TRD sticker. Had to explain how to turn it on and he drove right out.

Top of Rollins/Corona pass in October:

That's it for now, time for some more adventures!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12