4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default 1997 Tacoma 4x4 for sale

I picked up this Tacoma a few weeks ago intending to use it for parts. I wanted the 2.7l engine (3rz 4 cylinder) for my 4Runner. I got it from the 2nd owner, who bought it at around 35,000 miles in 1999. It is a standard cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4wd. Has drive side airbag, AC (no belt, so unsure it works), power steering, manual locking hubs (rare and desirable), aftermarket CD player with removable face, factory alloy wheels with 31" tires. Other than that, just a basic bare bones model.

The owner was driving it when one of the drive side ball joints let loose, ripping out the other ball joint, and rendering the truck inoperable. The damage turned out to be minimal, just the ball joints, cv shaft, and brake line. After towing it home on my dolly, I decided it wasn't worth tearing it apart.

So far, I have replaced all the ball joints, driver side brake hose (tow truck driver slide it with a razor), bled the brakes, and replaced the driver side CV shaft. This is nearly everything on the driver side front end. This has rendered it drivable, but I have also replaced the front brake pads while doing all the rest of the work. I have also changed the engine oil and confirmed the antifreeze was good enough to go to -20 degrees for the last week. Starts and runs good. T-case and manual tranny shift well. I also replaced a damaged ignition cylinder, so it is new with 2 brand new keys, and works super smooth.

What it still needs:
    -Will need an alignment since all the ball joints were recently replaced.
    -Tires. It has 31's on it, but the fronts are BFG 31/10.50R15, and the rear are Toyo 31/10.50R15. I have the other 2 matching BFG's if someone wanted a matched set, but all 4 tires only have minimal tread.
    -Speedometer/odometer doesn't work. Currently has 297,xxx on the clock, but previously owner claims around 315,000 is more realistic.
    -Tachometer not working.
    -Check engine light is on. It reads for an intermittent miss on cylinder 2. I started to dabble with it, but haven't done much more.
    -Has an exhaust leak you can hear from the manifold area. Haven't removed the shield to see why.
    -Windshield is cracked. A replacement is $99 on Craigslist.
    -Driver tail light is cracked. Passenger side is cracked, but there is a replacement that goes with it.
    -Has a bench seat and the driver side is basically just springs on the bottom. Really should have a new seat.
    -The passenger door has a dent. Works great, just cosmetic, and not a horrible dent.
    -Previous owner was a smoker and the interior stinks. Needs seriously aired out, or interior steam cleaned, which I have done on other cars in the past and works well.

Asking price as-is at $2,600. This would make it the cheapest 4x4 on Craigslist as the cheapest 4x4 Tacoma currently listed is also a 1997 at $3,600. This price is for members only. I intend to do some more work in a week or so and list it on Craigslist for more if nobody here bites.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2022
    4x4
    '97 Disco on 35's "89 RRC on 35's
    User Name
    greenramp
    Real Name
    Joe
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 1997 Tacoma 4x4 for sale

hmmm

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Just FYI, the door dent looks MUCH worse in the photos than in person. I tried to take the photo that shows it well. Makes it look worse. This was a work truck for a guy who built decks, so he frankly didn't care too much about the dent as he wasn't out to impress anyone. I wouldn't bother with it either as it isn't worth the hassle for an older truck.

The ball joint parts came in yesterday. Will have that wrapped up in a few days. Also, dug in the garage and found 4 better, but still almost worn 31 BFG AT's for it. The current front 31" tires were worn down past the cords. I replaced the front tires only, so it has 31" tires all around, but the back are Toyo and the front are BFG. The extra 2 BFG's will go with it, but frankly, not worth worrying about swapping out. The current set of mismatched tires could provide a season or so of street driving, but I would still buy newer tires soon.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

All the ball joints are done, the brakes are done and bled with new synthetic DOT3, and a brand new ignition switch was installed to replace the faulty one.

Still has a random misfire on 1 cylinder that needs remedied. Also needs the tach and speedo to be fixed, but I believe I have an extra instrument cluster. Will be working on these 2 items next.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Truck is still available as it has been in storage for about 6 weeks. Went over to it today, started right up, drove it around just a bit, and took some more photos. Getting posted on CL in a few moments.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2022
    4x4
    '97 Disco on 35's "89 RRC on 35's
    User Name
    greenramp
    Real Name
    Joe
    Thanks Given

when are you available to show?

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I could show this evening, or most any time this weekend. PM sent.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Bump. Still available.

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

if this thing was an extended cdab i'd be interested but reg cabs just don't have enough space for me. good luck with the sale

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Yeah, the extended cabs draw a lot more demand and more $. This is the 2nd regular cab Tacoma that I have had, and surprisingly, there is more leg/head room than I thought there would be. I am 6' tall and fit well. The 1st and 2nd gen trucks were way too small as regular cabs. The extended cab is great just for that extra space for tools, supplies, etc, but I don't think nearly as critical in the Tacoma models.

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

yeah. even the 1st gen's had enough room for me physically although barely. reg. cabs just don't have enough stuff room

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Agreed. That is why I bought a custom cab.