4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Default Clean bodied 1985 Toyota 4Runner

With the shop being busy as usual, and everyone around here still trying to rebuild after the flooding, we haven’t posted a build thread in a while. Thought it might be about time to change that. I have been looking for a clean, unmodified first generation 4runner to replace the little blue shop truck. After a long search I purchased this 1985 4Runner off another local forum. It was fairly clean, only some minor rust damage in the rear fenders, had low miles (125K), but had an engine in it that had dropped its timing chain. Since it needed the work, the price was right, so I jumped on it.

Here are a few photos of it as I originally found it:

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Clean bodied 1985 Toyota 4Runner

The 4Runner must be in decent condition as it started attracting a lot of attention. People were stopping in to inquire about it. One of those people is a very good friend and client. He was able to convince me that he needed/wanted it more than I did, and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. Then we sat down and figured out a build plan for it based on his budget. He has some pretty lofty (read expensive) goals, so the plan includes a couple different phases that can be completed as funds become available.

Phase 1: Making it road worthy

With the timing chain being broken in the motor, and not knowing the details of the rest of the internals of the motor, we made the decision to pull the motor and replace it with a good running, low mileage motor we had taking up space in the shop. Got the old one out and the new one installed and running in under 4 hours, and even with having to swap engine wiring harnesses around, it was a new shop record for me. But in my haste, I didn’t take many photos. The next morning I was able to run it down to our local Air Care Colorado emissions testing center and got it to pass emissions flawlessly.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Phase 2: Lift, lockers, gearing, armor, and more

With the 4Runner finally running well, we are able to move forward with build. 4Runners offer quite a bit for those looking for a fairly capable rig right from the factory. And some would argue that the 1985 model year would be the most capable of them all as it offered not only fuel injection, a boxed frame, and the normal Toyota ruggedness, but also a highly desirable solid front axle.

Our client’s wish list for this phase includes lift enough to handle 35” tires, with the slight possibility of going to 37” tires at some point. The 4Runner would still need to be able to drive down the road and handle like it did from the factory, if not better. It needed the stock “push/pull” steering upgraded to crossover. He wanted selectable lockers with appropriate gearing front and rear. Wanted custom armor all around, to include both bumpers, sliders, and a simple cage tied to the frame for the front passengers. We took these desires and total budget into consideration when putting together the components list.

We decided to go with Trail Gear’s Classic 4” lift for the front and rear. They offer a fairly complete kit that includes things like IFS steering box mount, shock hoops, axle armor and truss, and complete crossover Hi-steering, as well as new, wider and longer leaf springs all around and all new hangers, shackles, shocks, stainless brake lines, and most hardware needed. Then we would install ARB air lockers front and rear with 5.29 gearing to help move and give traction to the new larger tires.. To all this we would add an IFS steering box, a set of 35” Dick Cepek tires on new FJ wheels, Spidertrax 1.5” wheel spacers all ‘round to finish out the suspension components.

We would then be fabricating a custom plate style front bumper, a custom set of sliders, and a 4 point cage that will be tied into the frame with bushings. And we will be finishing off the armor with a slightly modified rear Trail Gear bumper. And of course we can’t forget to mention that our client wanted us to take care of any and all rust. And he also wanted some custom bedliner work for the interior and lower sections of the body.

Received the first shipment of goods from Trail Gear, lift kits and bumper:

And then the second shipment from them, new loaded 3rd members, arrived shortly after:

With parts finally arriving, we made some room in the shop and brought the 4Runner back in and got it off the ground onto some stands

Just noticed my new favorite accessory of this fine rig. An original Denver Broncos logo sticker on the rear window:

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

When it comes time for high streer and a front axke rebuild kit I got what you need new and never used. If your customer is intrested let me know I will give him or you a better deal. Allpro high stree and trail gear rebuild kit. Nice runner btw very clean !

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "When it comes time for high streer and a front axke rebuild kit I got what you need new and never used. If your customer is intrested let me know I will give him or you a better deal. Allpro high stree and trail gear rebuild kit. Nice runner btw very clean !"

Thanks but if you read in my last post, I mention that the Trail Gear Kit includes all of that.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Duuuuuh I seen that !! Hahah ooops sorry ! Keep up the pics. Looks like a good time !

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Tear down begins

We first removed the fabulously 80’s wheels and tires.

Then started removing the original spare tire assembly. The factory chain hoist that holds the spare is still in perfect working order. Amazing, since these are usually locked up, and/or destroyed by rust. Gotta love an original Colorado Car!

Then removed the rear drive shaft and shocks:

Out came the rear axle. Amazing how small these rear's were. Surprising strong for their size as well.

Then we put the rear in full hover mode by removing the rear springs:

And the rear bumper gets removed:

The take-off's pile is getting large already:

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Sweet....looks like a great build man. Haven't seen ya around much lately (and I've been gone too). This will be a cool rig when you are done for sure.

Did you manage to sell the Blue truck too or is that still kicking around?

Last Online
    February 7th, 2016
    4x4
    86 Toyota pickup
    User Name
    blueYODA
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Hey brucker...in that growing pile of extra parts you got going would there be enough for me to piece together a SAS for my toyota??

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Sweet....looks like a great build man. Haven't seen ya around much lately (and I've been gone too). This will be a cool rig when you are done for sure.

Did you manage to sell the Blue truck too or is that still kicking around?"

Hey Josh! Hope all is well. Yup, busier than crap still and my boss is an a$$hole, so I haven't had much time for the interwebby. The little blue shop truck is still around and my main wheeler. Once this project is finished up, I think I will be looking to start on something new for myself. After selling this 4Runner I started looking for another and came to the realization that I would be happiest with a small, lightweight buggy. Pretty much like you predicted. Imagine that

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

blueYODA previously posted:
    "Hey brucker...in that growing pile of extra parts you got going would there be enough for me to piece together a SAS for my toyota??"

I know for a fact that I could pretty much assemble a mini truck or two out of the spare parts I have laying around here. Probably have a couple extra vin's with titles too. What exactly are you looking for?

Last Online
    February 7th, 2016
    4x4
    86 Toyota pickup
    User Name
    blueYODA
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Should be getting my hands on a solid axle in a week or 2 and even if its still at stock height i figured having that under it would b a step better than the IFS. Not exactly sure what i would need.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Springs, shackles and hangers should do it!

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

blueYODA previously posted:
    "Should be getting my hands on a solid axle in a week or 2 and even if its still at stock height i figured having that under it would b a step better than the IFS. Not exactly sure what i would need."

Popsgarage previously posted:
    "Springs, shackles and hangers should do it!"

And also steering, drive shaft, u bolts, brake lines, shock hoops, shocks, spring spacer, degree shims, and sometimes wheel spacers. Then you just need the ability to fabricate (Knowledge to put things in the same planes and keep things square) and weld and you should be good to go.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "And also steering, drive shaft, u bolts, brake lines, shock hoops, shocks, spring spacer, degree shims, and sometimes wheel spacers. Then you just need the ability to fabricate (Knowledge to put things in the same planes and keep things square) and weld and you should be good to go."

To do crossover steering on the SAS Toyota's you use the IFS steering box, correct. And I completely forgot about the drivers side spring shim, brake lines, shock hoops and other incidentals. Things I'd know I'd need, but not everyone does. But Aaron has a good point about keeping things square and in the same planes, though. I take the welding thing for granted 'cause I have the tools to do that myself.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Popsgarage previously posted:
    "To do crossover steering on the SAS Toyota's you use the IFS steering box, correct."

Yup, but you also need steering arms, a tie rod, drag link, and a different pitman arm. And another super useful items needed would be the frame jigs for the front shackle mounts.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Having most of the major components removed from the rear, we begin tear down on the front. First things first, we removed the air box to gain better access to the steering box.

Then the front bumper:

Try to remove the pitman arm from the box:

And since the arm won't budge even with penetrating fluid, we decide to cut the dragink. Then we remove the anti sway bar from the frame.

Removed the box from the frame:

Out comes the front drive shaft:

And the anti sway bar and shocks:

Then removed the front axle assembly:

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Front spring hangers need to be removed, so they get cut off with the springs still attached. Then the shackles are unbolted from the frame.

Then we smooth out the areas of the frame where the front hangers were. Before:

After:

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Front axle heads outside to be pressure washed. For as clean as this ride is, the drive train has been completely filthy. The engine was horrible, but the axles are worse. Really need a good bath.

You can easily see the grime that was rinsed off:

Axle drying in the sun:

Then I forklift the axle back in a set it on a rolling work bench:

and get it set up and stands:

And bring it back into the middle of the shop where we will begin it's tear down

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "Hey Josh! Hope all is well. Yup, busier than crap still and my boss is an a$$hole, so I haven't had much time for the interwebby. The little blue shop truck is still around and my main wheeler. Once this project is finished up, I think I will be looking to start on something new for myself. After selling this 4Runner I started looking for another and came to the realization that I would be happiest with a small, lightweight buggy. Pretty much like you predicted. Imagine that "

Wait...aren't you the boss? :P

Cool...good to hear man, as much as being swamped at work is, its gotta be nice to have steady work too. I still need to get off my ass and get me truck done, and I think December and January will be the time for me. I bought that 1 ton axle and am contemplating swapping that in at some point, which would leave me the FJ80 front axle to use elsewhere, and I was thinking about a super light one or two seat buggy eventually with steering Yota axles front and rear, so we are on the same page for sure. If you are gonna do a chassis and feel like making two, I might be interested in collaborating and cost sharing on that.

Dave, I have a front Yota axle housing that I'd sell. I had a birf blow up and it kind of scraped up the inside of the knuckle ball on once side, but I think most of it can be cleaned up with a die grinding and flap disc and a decent oil seal. It is trussed and has knuckle gussets, and has been modified to fit the Toyota Elocker too. I think I have some stock axle shafts and such too, but you would have to source a 3rd member as I used the one from that axle in my FJ80 axle. I have a pair or knuckles but sold my steering arms. Get some high steer arms or go with the 6 shooter Trail Gear setup and a drag link and tie rod and it will work well with the steering box you already have on your truck.

Not sure what I want for all that, but if you are interested feel free to make an offer. Most of it has just been collecting dust in my storage unit, so I'd probably let it go for a pretty reasonable price.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast