4x4
    2010 JKU
    User Name
    Jas
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

confused Input on brake pads

Hello all. I will be replacing my brake pads on my 2010 JkU. I'm looking for recommendations as I have no idea what pads to go with. Any good brake shops in the aurora area? I currently have 33 on and will be bumping up to 35 in a 2-3 months. Thanks for your input.

Last Online
    July 10th, 2018
    4x4
    1991 Isuzu Trooper
    User Name
    ctracy5
    Real Name
    Chris Tracy
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Input on brake pads

I am using EBC green stuff pads and like how smooth they are. EBC is one brand to look into.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

I typically used EBC's on my motorcycle.

I never considered the name for auto use (no reason, just didn't) - perhaps I should.

Last Online
    December 8th, 2020
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

I've had some EBC greens on a couple different vehicles. Their cold bite is really good, but their heat tolerance isn't the greatest. I had a set on a Saturn SC (the little 2 door coupes from the early 90s) that was my autocross car. Their cold bite worked really well for autocross because I'd need strong braking performance with cold brakes. But then I took it to the road course and didn't switch out pads. After a day of repeatidly hauling the car down from 90 mph, the friction material actually started chunking away from the backing plate.

How would I translate this into 4wd needs? On the trail they should work really well since you are typically moving so slow that the brakes are stone cold. They should even stand up well coming down the canyon after a day of wheeling or just typical 'round town stop'n'go- even with those heavier 33 or 35 inch tires. BUT, if you do any towing down those same tight and twisty canyons, the brakes could get overwhelmed.

I have Duralast Gold Cmax pads on my Explorer. I put them on when I thought I was going to be towing more than I have. The ceramic compound is suppose to stand up to heat much better. And I've never had any towing related braking concerns. However, the pads cold bite sorta sucks. On the trail, it seems like I have to really stand on the brakes and it seems like I can still roll slightly on occassion.

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

EBC Green Stuff! Pricey but good. Work great with stock roters too.

Last Online
    July 10th, 2018
    4x4
    1991 Isuzu Trooper
    User Name
    ctracy5
    Real Name
    Chris Tracy
    Thanks Given

ExplorerTom previously posted:
    "I've had some EBC greens on a couple different vehicles. Their cold bite is really good, but their heat tolerance isn't the greatest. I had a set on a Saturn SC (the little 2 door coupes from the early 90s) that was my autocross car. Their cold bite worked really well for autocross because I'd need strong braking performance with cold brakes. But then I took it to the road course and didn't switch out pads. After a day of repeatidly hauling the car down from 90 mph, the friction material actually started chunking away from the backing plate.

How would I translate this into 4wd needs? On the trail they should work really well since you are typically moving so slow that the brakes are stone cold. They should even stand up well coming down the canyon after a day of wheeling or just typical 'round town stop'n'go- even with those heavier 33 or 35 inch tires. BUT, if you do any towing down those same tight and twisty canyons, the brakes could get overwhelmed.

I have Duralast Gold Cmax pads on my Explorer. I put them on when I thought I was going to be towing more than I have. The ceramic compound is suppose to stand up to heat much better. And I've never had any towing related braking concerns. However, the pads cold bite sorta sucks. On the trail, it seems like I have to really stand on the brakes and it seems like I can still roll slightly on occassion."

Good to know, I am looking at the yellowstuff pads for my Miata in the future for autocross...after I rebuild half the car getting it ready lol. But for know the pads and rotors are pretty new (but cheap and noisy like most the parts the PO put on this car) so it will be while.