4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Default Welding classes

So during this summer I was thinking about taking some welding classes at either Front Range Community College or Aims Community College. I was wondering if any of you guys taking any of these classes and what you thought about them. Is it worth it to spend the money on these classes? Would it be worth the hourish drive up there? Is there somewhere better I could go? Just looking for some input and opinions.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Welding classes

General Air is quite a ways away from you but they do single day classes for $50. They also give you a free class with the purchase of a welder. Been planning on taking a class there for over a year.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I never took any classes but worked primarily as a welder for a few years in a small custom shop. I was given a welder, shown how to weld and left to myself. The key to being a welder in that shop was that you had to grind your own welds which taught me real quick how to run a nice bead.

With that in mind the one day class sounds good IF you have access to a welder to practice on your own.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I am not familiar with those schools. Are they the closest Vo-Tech in your area?

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

I looked into the Front Range and Red Rocks Community College ones and found that its rather complicated getting into those classes. You essentially would be in classes with people getting a full welding associates degree, and there are pre-requisite classes you have to take first. They also aren't cheap at around $700-1000 for the whole series of classes plus materials fees and the class is at least one day a week if not two or three. I couldn't find anything more basic then that they offer though, and they might be willing to work with someone who just wants to learn how to weld without getting all the degrees and certifications that the full program offers.

I've never talked to anyone who has taken the General Air classes, but I've always wanted to attend one. I still technically have a free class from when I bought my welder, but that was like 4 or 5 years ago so I don't know if they'll still let me use it. Looking at the curriculum it seems like a good class, and they have both basic and advanced for both MIG and TIG as well as plasma and some other stuff.

Like Chris said though, if all you want to do is a bit of home fab, with a bit of basic instruction you can learn MIG pretty easily by just trial and error and watching others do it. I'd be happy to set you up and let you stick some metal together if you just wanted to get some time on a welder. I can't offer an expert hand at it or give you much technical knowledge, but certainly enough to 1) Be Safe and 2) enough to start with.

If someone knows of a more thorough but not full on welding class that is designed more for hobbyists at a CC, then I'd definitely be interested in it. I feel like I can lay down a steady bead and have good strength with my welds, but there is a whole another world of heat levels and proper technical ability that I find really interesting and would love to learn more about with a guided curriculum rather then just whatever information I can find on the internet (which is a valuable resource too).

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "I am not familiar with those schools. Are they the closest Vo-Tech in your area?"

That I have found yes some high school offer it but unfortunately mine does not. I asked why we didn't and was told we are lucky to even have wood shop.

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "I looked into the Front Range and Red Rocks Community College ones and found that its rather complicated getting into those classes. You essentially would be in classes with people getting a full welding associates degree, and there are pre-requisite classes you have to take first. They also aren't cheap at around $700-1000 for the whole series of classes plus materials fees and the class is at least one day a week if not two or three. I couldn't find anything more basic then that they offer though, and they might be willing to work with someone who just wants to learn how to weld without getting all the degrees and certifications that the full program offers.

I've never talked to anyone who has taken the General Air classes, but I've always wanted to attend one. I still technically have a free class from when I bought my welder, but that was like 4 or 5 years ago so I don't know if they'll still let me use it. Looking at the curriculum it seems like a good class, and they have both basic and advanced for both MIG and TIG as well as plasma and some other stuff.

Like Chris said though, if all you want to do is a bit of home fab, with a bit of basic instruction you can learn MIG pretty easily by just trial and error and watching others do it. I'd be happy to set you up and let you stick some metal together if you just wanted to get some time on a welder. I can't offer an expert hand at it or give you much technical knowledge, but certainly enough to 1) Be Safe and 2) enough to start with.

If someone knows of a more thorough but not full on welding class that is designed more for hobbyists at a CC, then I'd definitely be interested in it. I feel like I can lay down a steady bead and have good strength with my welds, but there is a whole another world of heat levels and proper technical ability that I find really interesting and would love to learn more about with a guided curriculum rather then just whatever information I can find on the internet (which is a valuable resource too)."

That's what I was thinking that it would be way expensive and for people looking to make a career out of it. General air is a little ways a way but might have to work. I really just want to know some basic stuff like safety, how to work a welder, and how to weld and what not. I've never touched a welder in my life to know how or what to do with it so I'm really just looking for a class just to teach me how to do the stuff then I go off a teach myself on how to do things and other stuff. I would really like to know before I head out to college to maybe get a better job then working at a deli.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

If that is all you are looking for, then I would be happy to spend a few hours going over it with you and give you the basics. It'll take 10-20 minutes to go over safety stuff, then we can do basic technique and get you making sparks and sticking metal together. If we want to make it a group thing I can do that too (3-5 people). Like I said, I'm not master welder, but I can give you enough information to be safe and to do a basic setup on the welder. Once you know basic guidelines, then the rest comes with practice. MIG is super easy to learn, but the saying goes is it takes 10 minutes to do your first weld, and the rest of your life to be an expert at it.

Most of the vocational programs I have seen are for people who need certified work, which is really only when constructing buildings or in an industrial setting, and its rare to need those certs for most work that a welding shop does. I think most certifications are outlined via the oil and gas industry, as they almost always require you to weld pipe and do it in a continuous weld (if you want to see some badass welders look up "walking the cup" on Youtube). I could be overlooking a whole are of certified welding, but when I looked into it that is what I saw.

The rest of the time it is just like Chris said...they sit you down and tell you to weld and the company certifies that it is ok and to spec if they like what you do and if they don't, you are either deemed willing and able to learn better next time or shown the door.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Are you in high school ? If so what area are you in ?

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "Are you in high school ? If so what area are you in ?"

Yes and I'm in Erie near the Broomfield Louisville area

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

He is in Eerie. I am looking to learn a little welding too. If something comes of the get together, I'd be interested. Otherwise I will make it to General Air. I have to start with basic class also. You do have to pass basic to move on to the advanced class. Here is GA class schedule.
    http://www.generalair.com/pdf/Denver...hedule2013.pdf

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

dscowell previously posted:
    "Yes and I'm in Erie near the Broomfield Louisville area"

Here's a web site link to the school I teach at...... if your in any colorado school you can go half time for a career class.... I teach auto...weld shop is right next to me...... and were right up the road from General air.

http://www.dosomethingreal.com/resou...lasses/welding

What grade are you in ?

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

I'm a senior I was hoping to start late second semester early summer

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

"I'm a senior I was hoping to start late second semester early summer"

Might be something to check out for next semester. No summer classes . Just an option to consider. If you want more info let me know

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Alright cool I will definitely let you know!

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Another option you could maybe look into is going to Emily Griffith Technical school and taking some of there welding classed, however I imagine they run around the same as the community college classes. Or better yet, try and find a small welding shop or mom and pop type operation, and ask to do an apprenticeship there, and see if they would be willing to help teach you out, and give you some experience.

IMO you can take all the welding classes and tutorials in the world, but nothing is better than just getting hands on experience. Because of my profession I was blessed with both "classes" and in the field practice. The classes were okay and helped some, but nothing compared to the trail and error process of learning it in the field by hand.

There are a few guys on the fourm who are good welders, and a few up north. Might be worth hitting them up to see if they wouldn't be interested in teaching you the basics and then turning yourself loose on some personal projects. I highly recommend picking up a lil 110v Mig Welder off CL and going to town.

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Good ideas. The only problem is with the apprenticeship deal I doubt I would have the time for that even though that is a very good suggestion. Getting a welder and going off on my own is I have no clue on what to do or how to do anything. I would like to meet someone and have them teach me like Josh offered but my mom is leery of me meeting people on the internet. I'm meeting with the schools college counselor hopefully this week so he may have some ideas too. I'll look into all the suggestions you all have offered it is much appreciated.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Just an fyi my school weld shop offers Emilly Tech credits. If your interested you'll need to look in to it asap. Classes fill up fast.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

"...like Josh offered but my mom is leery of me meeting people on the internet..."

Yeah...I'm awfully sketchy

If it helps, I was gonna do it at Clubworkshop, which is a business open to the public so its not like you'd be coming to a strangers house, but I understand the reluctance too.

Not sure if you knew, but there is a General Air in Boulder if you didn't want to come down to the Denver store.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

"I would like to meet someone and have them teach me like Josh offered but my mom is leery of me meeting people on the internet. I'm meeting with the schools college counselor hopefully this week so he may have some ideas too."

As a parent, I appreciate that!

Hopefully, the school counselor will have more insight to offer about educational opportunities in your area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast