4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Default Opps. Rigging failed

Scary rigging failure. Heck of a lot of weight to just let go. Could have been a lot worse.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3dd_1376193467

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brucker For This Post:

Popsgarage (August 15th, 2013)

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Opps. Rigging failed

Brucker previously posted:
    " Could have been a lot worse."

Ain't that the truth.

Any time I see someone post about rigging failure and then see people standing under it I get nervous. They are just lucky it happened over the area where they were placing it and not halfway across or while someone was under it. Guess they should have checked the load capability of the chain before using it huh?

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

WOW! I'd like to see that report...

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Guess they should have checked the load capability of the chain before using it huh?"

Or maybe having "back-up rigging" for something so big??? I'm just sayin'...
    I don't know rigging - but I would have wanted more chains for that.

Last Online
    20 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

OMG !!!
    Howd ya like to the dude that was just under it before it let go ???

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Well, it landed on its feet and no one was injured (only egos, maybe). No harm, no foul, right?

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

No.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

No is right Jackie. Just did a hoisting and rigging class at the union hall last Saturday and the Saturday before that. It was just dumb freak luck no one was squashed. Something wasn't checked before they flew that load. Take a look at the chain on the drivers rear corner of the loader. The chain appears to be stiff. It probably stretched each and every link in the chain and can no longer move. I'd be willing to bet the chain was under rated for that pick. That loader probably weighs 20 or so tons or around 40,000 pounds. Scary stuff. Here's one for ya. Top leftish there is a little black spot. That spot is a man basket with two iron workers in it waiting for the load to get into position so they could be cabled down to bolt the section into place. Both died. Because somebody flew the load on a day with wind gusts up to around 22 or so mile an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8fiixoGtM0

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Jackie previously posted:
    "Or maybe having "back-up rigging" for something so big??? I'm just sayin'...
    I don't know rigging - but I would have wanted more chains for that."

Most rigging equipment including the chains and straps and such is typically supposed to have at least a 2 to 1 safety factor, and most riggers I know like to have a 5 to 1 safety factor. 2 to 1 meaning twice the load carrying capability and 5 to 1 meaning 5 times the load carrying capacity.

I dead fairly regularly with this stuff at work (as does you hubby I'm sure) with much lighter loads but similar idea, and its crazy how weight can transfer. A guy put a load sensor on a bunch of rigging pick points that were connected, and a bumping one point up an inch raised the load on that point by almost double. When you are lifting stuff that heavy in a environment that is constantly shifting, it can take just a slight breeze or a the boat tipping a little bit to shift all the weight to one point (which is likely what happened in this) and stuff fails.

Also, have a safety back up is good but usually only affords you a few extra seconds to think and get out of the way. If that chain broke, any chain that would have caught would have been heavily shock loaded and would probably have snapped instantly. I'm guess that either the chain wasn't strong enough, or there was a defect of some sort that lowered the strength that no one saw. All I know is that those guys are lucky there was no major damage and that one one was hurt, as the liability lawsuits involved with that stuff can be pretty heavy and life altering. Guys who are good at working with heavy lifting and rigging are worth every dime of what they charge. Bad stuff happens that you don't expect sometimes, but the really good guys have the gut feelings and alarm bells that keep them and their surroundings safe. The ones who don't can be downright scary though, and I either run away or get them off site as fast as I can and replace them with competent people. Fortunately the scary riggers don't get called to work very often, so its pretty rare to have to do that.

All of that said, its kind of fun to see big stuff fail sometimes. Its just as cool to see professionals complete the task though, and is much more impressive to me even though it gets less attention.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Popsgarage previously posted:
    "No is right Jackie. Just did a hoisting and rigging class at the union hall last Saturday and the Saturday before that. It was just dumb freak luck no one was squashed. Something wasn't checked before they flew that load. Take a look at the chain on the drivers rear corner of the loader. The chain appears to be stiff. It probably stretched each and every link in the chain and can no longer move. I'd be willing to bet the chain was under rated for that pick. That loader probably weighs 20 or so tons or around 40,000 pounds. Scary stuff. Here's one for ya. Top leftish there is a little black spot. That spot is a man basket with two iron workers in it waiting for the load to get into position so they could be cabled down to bolt the section into place. Both died. Because somebody flew the load on a day with wind gusts up to around 22 or so mile an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8fiixoGtM0"

Uggh....there is the example of those scary riggers I was talking about, or in this case scary crane operators. One of the comments for that video said that 3 different crane operators walked off the site due to dangerous conditions, but they found the 4th guy who was dumb and decided to ignore those inner warning bells and do it anyways. There are lots of examples of this happening, where some head strong manager who is under a time crunch pushes his crew too hard and into those dangerous conditions and people and property pays the price.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "(as does you hubby I'm sure)"

Yup. And he is the first person to object if he sees something he considers to be "unsafe" for the workers setting the show or for the audience who will soon be filing in to the room...
    He's not a 'rigger' by profession, but took one look at that video and said "wow!" So many mistakes...

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Jackie previously posted:
    "Yup. And he is the first person to object if he sees something he considers to be "unsafe" for the workers setting the show or for the audience who will soon be filing in to the room...
    He's not a 'rigger' by profession, but took one look at that video and said "wow!" So many mistakes..."

Yeah....I'm not either but I feel equally responsible for maintaining a safe environment to work in we fly heavy complicated things over peoples heads nearly every time we work. Thats why I have taken four different rigging courses over the years, which is more training then I've had for my actual job. If I don't plug a light in right or the wrong mic is plugged into the wrong plug its not a big deal, but if I don't attach a truss correctly or something isn't done right in the rigging department it can have VERY bad consequences. A couple years back there was a rash of outdoor stage collapses and its REALLY scary to think of anything like that happening. Luckily I haven't been involved with anything like that, and want to keep it that way.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Most rigging equipment including the chains and straps and such is typically supposed to have at least a 2 to 1 safety factor, and most riggers I know like to have a 5 to 1 safety factor."

OSHA requires a minimum of 4 time safety factor with rigging of any sort.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "but they found the 4th guy who was dumb and decided to ignore those inner warning bells and do it anyways."

Exactlty what happened. They figure wind was the biggest contributing factor. Most people see a lattice work of steel but if you think of the surface area of all that steel and how a small breeze effects said area, imagine the side forces applied to the crane. Scary and sad. Rigging a vehicle for a simple winch recovery is very similar to what both of the crews were doing that day. Moving a load from point A to point B.