Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know my truck can do it but can I?

Last Online
    April 9th, 2019
    4x4
    05 Toyota 4runner v8 sport
    User Name
    Crashman
    Real Name
    Eric
    Thanks Given

Default I know my truck can do it but can I?

So, I was thought I would try plane crash trail thinking it was easier than it was or is it easy and I am less experienced than I realize? I don't know
    There were three jeeps that came up behind me and helped me a bit but I let them pass and followed them, however when they started up the really rocky section I watched the last guy struggle a bit and don't know if that is what made me nervous or that I realized I had to come back down the same way?
    Is it harder to come down or go up?
    What gets me is all the guys said my truck should make it

i guess my question is how does one learn there truck and what it,can do without damage?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Last Online
    June 8th, 2018
    4x4
    86 Ford Bronco, 99 Ford Ranger.
    User Name
    javaman34
    Real Name
    Jerry
    Thanks Given

Default Re: I know my truck can do it but can I?

Not a dumb question. I've been wondering the exact same thing. I will definitely be watching this thread to see all the answers.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Good question I can answer Eric, you can do it! I say that simply because I have and I think your truck is pretty similar to mine. But that's not what you asked, you learn what your truck can do by experience, running with folks that can spot you which helps you get an eye for the line you should take and understanding what your truck can do. Start easy and go a bit harder, etc.

The best way to really get going is join in some runs here, there are a lot of good people here with lots of experience that are happy to help you learn the ropes.

Edit: I just remembered my first snow run with my 4Runner. I had a hell of a time getting anywhere and later found I was over-revving the motor. Once I kept it under 2K I could get through about any snow. Just an example...

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Pretty much what Chris said.

It takes a lot of time, and trail and error to fully understand what your rig is capable of. It did help me a bit when i first started wheeling that so many people on here were willing to spot me and help me learn lines that my rig could and couldn't go through.

My rig is stock, minus slightly larger tires(stocks are 28" and I am using 31's) I have open differentials both front and rear, and had a gutless motor, and was pretty nervous at first about running the trails. A few times out, and with the help of "Old" Rob (Probably the person I have wheeled with most on a side note) spotting me, trails that seemed hard just kept getting easier and easier, even though many of the times we went out, I had the least developed rig in the group.

Stick with it, get out there, and have fun, And it will all start coming naturally.

Last Online
    December 8th, 2020
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

I think it is hader (mentally) to go down. Obviously it's harder physically to go up (gravity being what it is and all).

There have been some obstacles I've come up on and immediately thought: "no way I can make it up that" but then I give it a try anyway and my truck climbs up.

Use traildamage.com and pick some trails with ratings of 3/4 or so and work your way up. Go with experienced people. Ask questions. Watch others- I know I've seen people take lines through something that I wasn't expecting and the result wasn't nearly as bad as I thought initially.

Last Online
    June 10th, 2018
    4x4
    97 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 4x4
    User Name
    Squshiee1
    Real Name
    Chase Strait
    Thanks Given

After a couple of trails you will notice that rocks get smaller and inclines get less steep. i am now able to do level 8 trails with a stock rodeo. at first red cone seemed impossible, now i'm looking at doing carnage, indy and patriot, and even the hard moab trails, but now i know that my rig is less capable than i am. It just took some time to get a feel for my rig, now i feel unstoppable... almost.

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

ExplorerTom previously posted:
    "I think it is hader (mentally) to go down. Obviously it's harder physically to go up (gravity being what it is and all).

There have been some obstacles I've come up on and immediately thought: "no way I can make it up that" but then I give it a try anyway and my truck climbs up.

Use traildamage.com and pick some trails with ratings of 3/4 or so and work your way up. Go with experienced people. Ask questions. Watch others- I know I've seen people take lines through something that I wasn't expecting and the result wasn't nearly as bad as I thought initially."

Yes X2.. Its just a matter of getin youre wheels up..
    And remember, If one driver can do it. Any driver can do it ...

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,022 Posts

Two things:

1) The spotter essentially becomes the decision maker (the "driver") while the person behind the wheel, while holding final decision, is mostly taking orders. Thus - you have to trust the spotter with your vehicle / damage to your vehicle.

2) Be a third party (get out and stand trail-side / walk around) where a spotter is coaxing a vehicle through or over an obstacle. This will give you the ability to see how much clearance there is between vehicle and ground/rocks and what "line" the spotter is aiming for (to minimize or control the ground-to-vehicle contact).

EDIT: It's my experience that spotters do not want any damage to another vehicle. They will accept, specifically if in a controlled, slow, movement, vehicle skid plate or slide rail contact with ground rocks as those parts were designed to contact rocks w/o vehicle damage. That sort of contact is acceptable. It can make a terrible sound from inside the cab though - but actually - it's just a rock against designed-for protective steel.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

MelloYello (July 2nd, 2013)

Last Online
    April 9th, 2019
    4x4
    User Name
    Crashman
    Real Name
    Eric
    Thanks Given

Thanks guys for the quick responses!
    I have been on a few trails but with big groups and much easier trails I need to try with smaller groups I guess
    I built my truck to go wheeling I guess I just need to keep going
    i was surprised that trail damage gave plane crash a 4/6 I thought it would be like moody hill 3/8
    i want to finish plane crash but should I try more easier trails or go back with some others

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Join the folks on MSV on the 4th
    Small group that can give ya tips
    St Vrain is a mild trail that can give ya challanges
    Fun place to learn !

Last Online
    April 9th, 2019
    4x4
    User Name
    Crashman
    Real Name
    Eric
    Thanks Given

I was hoping to go on Saturday I have a big gathering on the 4th every year with family
    they might notice if I wasn't there lol
    thanks though

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Ya. Same here. If Im not there for the water fight
    Well.... It will not be Purdy !!

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

A lot of good tips in this thread!

About all I can add is to learn where your tires are when you are driving. When you get a good "feel" for your wheelbase, you can plan where your tires will be on a given obstacle. A game I play with myself is to run over trash in the parking lot. I don't just run over that soda can, I run it over with the passenger front tire, or the driver's rear tire. It sounds silly, but when you make it into a mental exercise, you get more out of it.

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

ExplorerTom previously posted:
    "I think it is hader (mentally) to go down."

Ill climb anything..... I hate going down,,,,Brakes will hurt you going down to a point.... you dont want to hit your brakes and have the rear pass you

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

You can do it...your name is Crashman!! X2 on what Hypoid said, knowing where your wheels are at from the drivers seat is where you start, all else falls into place after some runs. Going up is always harder, you are fighting gravity! Going with folks whom are savvy to wheelin is good too!

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

I prefer going uphill also. The thing about going downhill is if your front tire drops off a rock that is to big, it comes down with momentum and hurts. Then in addition to that you are often dedicated to that line because backing up without assistance is often not an option. The first most improtant part of wheeling is to know where your tires are, you can't avoid rocks otherwise. That is the part my daughter is working on. As we drive down the trail I will tell her to put this tire on that rock, just small rocks but you can feel the bump if you hit it. The next thing is to know your spotters signals, often times voices can't be heard well and especially when you have a bunch of spectators that are chipping in their advice. You need to block out everyone except your spotter. Your spotter if needed can have another dedicated person to watch a blind spot who then reports to spotter who guides you. Unfortunately the only way to truly know the capabilities of your rig is to get stuck. As was said before, over time the rocks just start to seem smaller, the tilt seems less severe and the trails you are comfortable with expand. It does help to run with rigs with a similar capabilities as your rig cause then you can watch an experienced drivers line through obstacles and just follow. Just watch out who you follow, some people like to take extreme lines and would not be good for the beginners nerves.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

You can always post up a run and ask to keep it down to 4 or 5 rigs for the exact reasons you stated. When I first started (and a large part of why this group is amazing) is everyone is so helpful with spotting. Rob taught me a lot from the get go but everyone helps out. My first run was solo on Bolam pass, rated green in the Charles wells fun treks book, that gave me the bug. The first thing I learned though is I needed to seek out a good friendly 4 wheeling community to teach me. It has been incredible ever since. I have tackled a lot of difficult and moderate runs with a lot of really great people on here. The 2 Moab trips have been epic!

Last Online
    April 9th, 2019
    4x4
    User Name
    Crashman
    Real Name
    Eric
    Thanks Given

i am trying to pay attention and learn what lines to take however when my truck goes on some angles I worry
    i have been on china wall a few times before I got my bumpers and didn't try the wall the last time I went I was with a friend that was not experienced and tried the wall there was snow still on the ground in spots and my tires were wet so I slid a bit but the biggest thing was when I was on the wall I had never been on a incline that high so I was nervous plus my friend was trying to spot but had never spotted before I started up the wall be slid a few times then backed down
    when I got home I looked it up on line and saw some mostly stock trucks going up the wall this didn't help me much lol

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Your truck should do that trail just fine. There are a few spots where a spotter can be helpful if you aren't as familiar with your truck. The only way you get better is by driving more. Get on a run with a few more experienced guys and watch what they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast