Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know my truck can do it but can I?

Last Online
    July 9th, 2016
    4x4
    84 Ranger/94Explorer/87ZUK
    User Name
    BLOODBANE
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Default Re: I know my truck can do it but can I?

Lots of good advice here. One thing that really helps me on any trail, is I usually run tail gunner. Now most folks don't want that position, so I take it. I get to watch everyone else (and their mistakes) when going over the different obstacles. I get to see first what works and what doesn't. On the toughest obstacles I have a fantastic spotter (Larry Hull). I trust him. He gets me over things that look like a no go.

Over the years (my first trail was Chinamans way back in 2000) I have learned what each of my vechicles can do and how they react. My Ranger does different than my Explorer and the Samurai is a total different beast all together. I have wheeled all of them during the different stages of up-grading and my driving style has changed with that as well.

Like has been said already, get out on some of the easiest trails and see what you can and can't do, getting in with this group is a great place for people that are willing to help you learn you and your trucks capabilities, ALWAYS GO WITH SOMEONE. Never go alone. The more you go, the more comfortable you will feel. Confidence is a major part of your driving as well. Heck, I still get butterflies on some obstacles (part of the thrill I guess).

Hang in there, it will come. Just don't try to do too much before you or your rig is ready. That will turn you off wheeling faster than anything.

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    September 28th, 2015
    4x4
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    alexb
    Real Name
    Alex B.
    Thanks Given

I'm still learning a lot. I keep getting out and checking what my clearance is as I go over different rocks and bumps. Frequent stops, watching others, and trying again. If I successfully do something I thought was difficult, I'll frequently go drive it again to try and learn from it now that I know I can do it.

And by far, my jeep is way more capable than I am.

I was actually going to come on here and ask how far can I tilt/lean? I went out and found myself somewhere uncomfortable so I'm coming back to seek opinions. I'll go post a new question in just a minute.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Lots of good advice here but nobody mentioned that there's nothing wrong with backing up, turning round, etc if you feel uncomfortable. When I switched from the Land Cruiser to the 4Runner I had to learn how to drive. There's little doubt I can do most of what I did with the old truck but since this is our only vehicle and was much more expensive I will take bypasses, etc any time I'm not sure if I can do an obstacle.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Chris For This Post:

Brad (July 2nd, 2013)

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Absolutely right Chris. We wanted to try grizzly lake off the road to Hancock pass and we got to the river crossing and "the obstacle" after the river proved too difficult so we opted to turn around and skip it. Especially since 3 lifted jeeps dragged their rear bumpers coming down the obstacle.

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

There's no shame in announcing you're wanting to follow someone who can spot you, too, when you meet up for a run. If you have a trusty spotter (like so many others on here, Rob was the one who spotted my husband and I the most, and taught us the most, three seasons ago you can be assured that you'll be guided within your vehicle's capabilities (which might be more than you want to stomach!). You want a good spotter, though. We've had carnage from bad spotting (not anyone here) - no fun for the spotter, or the spottee. Also, getting behind a similarly-equipped rig on a run, and following their lines (which is nice, because you can see how it works before you're faced with doing it yourself) is really helpful for learning. Of course, again, you want to follow someone who can actually drive (I say this based on stuff I've seen others do with other groups on some runs - like a brand-new full-sized Range Rover that almost laid on its on Lefthand - yikes!).

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Yep, I broke the bumper on my old truck on that obstacle! Never got past that "gatekeeper" or nearby Iron Chest when we were alone and it started to rain. Both of those are off our "to do" list with the 4Runner.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Eric what I would say is like everyone else time in the seat on trails will build your confidence as well as learn your vehicles capabilities, just spend sometime looking under the vehicle too and make a mental note of where the lowest hanging parts on it are. That will also help you to determine what line to take and builds you confidence even faster. If you don't completely feel comfortable at some point don't push your luck unless you have good people around you helping you. I am having to relearn my truck since I swapped over to solid axles and how different it not only feels but handles too. I have had a few really good spotters get me through some areas I thought about not doing.

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "I have had a few really good spotters get me through some areas I thought about not doing."

and a thank you to cliff(Xaza)

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to Rick For This Post:

xaza (July 3rd, 2013)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

I think part of the the learning process is to get out and walk the trail a little ways with your intended spotter (Rob Is my favorite)! Let your spotter know what line you think you would pick (or prefer) to take and have a conversation about it before you do it. Rob knows that I hate the "tippy" feeling and respects that. He is also good at pointing out when my idea might be a bad choice for different reasons. So if I pick a line that he knows will give me the creeps, he will tell me and advise something different. If I'm too scared to do what he says to do... I STOP. We talk some more. Your spotter can only advise. You have to make the final decision.

All the folks on this forum will have the same or similar concern for your safety and the safety of your rig. But to get better at it your self, I think it helps to challenge their instructions with your own ideas and see where it goes... They won't let you do anything stupid!

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jackie For This Post:

Rick (July 2nd, 2013)

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

What Jackie said

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12