4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Default anyone dirt bike bike here ???

I know i know its not 4x4 but its still for the love of out doors....I picked up a few dirt bikes for my girlfriend and I including all safty gear.
    We went to Erie last week and rode th around the track. it went pretty dang great. everything i dreamed of as a kid This being both our first time on a track and my girlfriends frist time riding a bike on her own. I'm still new but I know how you ride with confedence. My question is, does anyone on the forum ride dirt bikes and willing to go up the left hand sometime this summer and teach us a few tricks? Just want to do it safely and have fun doi g it. And of course ir wont be with out alot more pactice on our side. If so that would be great and if not it just means more 4x4 for the time being.

Thanks
    ADAM

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Default Re: anyone dirt bike bike here ???

My husband, Britton, owns and rides a dirt bike. (He doesn't like 4-wheeling much, but he steals my Jeep all the time). He recently sold his KTM and bought a new BMW. He hasn't done a ton of off-roading with the BMW yet, but I will tell him you're looking for other riders...

FYI - When it was the KTM he was driving, he tagged along on several 4x4 runs (including the clean-up runs) and no one complained in this group...) It works out just fine because the bikes can go a lot faster and manage to stay out of the way of us slower 4x4 drivers and then then they can meet up with us again whenever they want.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,037 Times in 2,019 Posts

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "I'm still new but I know how you ride with confedence. My question is, does anyone on the forum ride dirt bikes and willing to go up the left hand sometime this summer and teach us a few tricks?"

I heartily recommend the Motorcycle Safety classes. They are more street oriented, but as you talk about riding with confidence, they certainly come to mind in that regard. Otherwise, as any general tip for street riding (no offense intended if it's common knowledge for you): Look where you want to GO and push the bar end towards where you want to GO. Target fixation (staring at a place you do not want to go) will put you right, directly into that bad spot.

I'll kick the thread to Chat with a redirect in General for a couple weeks.

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

I've ridden all sorts of dirt bikes since I was in high school. There are tons are great places to ride to learn and practice riding in the dirt. Up out of Sedalia where rampart road ends is one place where there are many atv trails. Also down outside of buena vista there are tons and tons of atv trails there. Another place is on the opposite side of cottonwood pass there are many more miles to ride back there.

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

My entire trail system I learned via dirtbike a couple decades ago, very fun and lots to explore. I took the ABATE safety class after years of dirtbiking only because I was buying a street bike. The instructors wanted me to get hired to help teach riding, because of how well I rode and my personality. I have not rode my dirtbikes for years though :(, into my ATV and the Jeeps now. I need to have my bikes tuned up and then I could ride again, and would love to dirt bike my system showing it to someone else!

Last Online
    November 14th, 2015
    4x4
    2008 JKUR
    User Name
    Backcountryislife
    Real Name
    Kaleb
    Thanks Given

If you ever want to get out on the bikes up in Clear Creek area, shoot me a PM. The dirtbike is the main reason I haven't been on here lately. I bought one the week after mother's day, and I've been riding between an hour & two hours a day since then. Went biking yesterday, wheeling today (well... after an hour ride this am anyhow) works out pretty fun.

If you get up this way we can leave from my house & go drive in circles around glacier paul's place for fun

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

moving targets......hmmmmm

Last Online
    November 14th, 2015
    4x4
    2008 JKUR
    User Name
    Backcountryislife
    Real Name
    Kaleb
    Thanks Given

It gets more interesting when the moving target has a ccw as well though... :P HAHAHA

Just about to leave the house & ride over to chins, I'm assuming I should be able to make it up there today.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Backcountryislife previously posted:
    "If you ever want to get out on the bikes up in Clear Creek area, shoot me a PM. The dirtbike is the main reason I haven't been on here lately. I bought one the week after mother's day, and I've been riding between an hour & two hours a day since then. Went biking yesterday, wheeling today (well... after an hour ride this am anyhow) works out pretty fun.

If you get up this way we can leave from my house & go drive in circles around glacier paul's place for fun "

just to make sure you are talking about motorcycle dirt bikes correct? Sounds silly to ask but just want to make sure. If so that is great I will PM you as soon as possible. We are going to Erie to practice tomarrow one last time before we consider going to a trail. what area do you live in

Last Online
    November 14th, 2015
    4x4
    2008 JKUR
    User Name
    Backcountryislife
    Real Name
    Kaleb
    Thanks Given

Well... I've been pedaling this thing all over the place... but I suppose I could use the motor too huh?

Chinn's lake yesterday AM, 23 minutes from my door to the lake... not bad.

I live down the valley from Bill Moore lake. The creek that comes out of it is Mill Creek, and I live on Mill Creek Rd.

Our valley is just over the ridge on the left from here:

This was Bill Moore that afternoon...

Right side of this pic is the ridge in the left side of the pic above.

Btw, I've been away from bikes (motor anyhow) for quite some time, so I'm pretty "new" to it right now, but I'm riding an hour or two minimum every day (I ride an hour at lunch, and usually an hour in the AM before I start work most days), so I'm getting faster quick. Switching from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke is forcing my hand on that for sure... have to ride SO much faster on this machine! I should have stayed on my 230 TTR longer, the 250 RM is fun, but very much not a trail bike.

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Nice pics Kaleb. Was that shot of B.M. taken the same day? Can you get to R.E. from your road?, I see a spur off of it on my maps, but have never tried it. It looks similar to Wild Wagoner. Kaleb you got yourself a race bike dude! Love the 4 strokes better, can chill a bit better. I used to do some crazy stuff up here on a bike, jumping the obstacles I now wheel thru Be careful out there Kaleb, you are a father , snow is way softer than dirt and rocks

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I have always wanted to ride dirt bikes but never got the courage to do so. I really admire those that do, and love their go pro video for trail scouting. Surf YouTube and you will find some great video.

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Brad previously posted:
    "I have always wanted to ride dirt bikes but never got the courage to do so. I really admire those that do, and love their go pro video for trail scouting. Surf YouTube and you will find some great video. "

And some spectacular crashes too!

Last Online
    November 14th, 2015
    4x4
    2008 JKUR
    User Name
    Backcountryislife
    Real Name
    Kaleb
    Thanks Given

glacierpaul previously posted:
    "Nice pics Kaleb. Was that shot of B.M. taken the same day? Can you get to R.E. from your road?, I see a spur off of it on my maps, but have never tried it. It looks similar to Wild Wagoner. Kaleb you got yourself a race bike dude! Love the 4 strokes better, can chill a bit better. I used to do some crazy stuff up here on a bike, jumping the obstacles I now wheel thru Be careful out there Kaleb, you are a father , snow is way softer than dirt and rocks"

Both were taken on sunday.

Can't connect to red elephant yet... but I'm working on it. The spur you see is non motorized, and from our hikes even if we wanted to bring a bike up it... it'd be far from fun. I can't imagine it was ever a road for full size vehicles. There's another very unused spur that I'm working on now, a buddy did it on a mtn bike with a lot of hiking, if I can get it clear I'll start using it more.

I also have noticed the difference in stiffness of the dirt & rocks... weird.

I've got the RM geared way down, but it's still way faster than I'd prefer for "crawling". Might put a rekluse on it this week to make it a bit more trail friendly, we'll see.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Man you got some HP in them legs of yours ! Haha I'm glad were on the same page cuz thoes pics are beautiful !! Thats my hole goal, is the see thing iv never wheeling ! And you seem like a friendly person your self. I would love to hit up a place like your area. We did Erie today and had a great time. Gained a lot of confidence in my whellies. My girl even popped up a few times !!. I will pm you now. Thanks for sharing the pics !!

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

if you ever want to ride up near fort collins i can dust of the g/f's old xr200 and go for a ride

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

redneck23ms previously posted:
    "if you ever want to ride up near fort collins i can dust of the g/f's old xr200 and go for a ride"

Sweet. I have a brother that lives in severance he just pick a bike up him self. maybe we can all meet up in that are sometime ill pm you my contact info

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

"....stiffness of the dirt and rocks..." I have a 83 Honda XL 250S and a 91 Yamaha 180(bored and stroked to about 190/200) need to get them up and running again!

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

Brad previously posted:
    "I have always wanted to ride dirt bikes but never got the courage to do so. I really admire those that do, and love their go pro video for trail scouting. Surf YouTube and you will find some great video. "

riding for the first time can be intimidating. but it is quite easy. just have to jump on one and give it a shot.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

redneck23ms previously posted:
    "riding for the first time can be intimidating. but it is quite easy. just have to jump on one and give it a shot."

Agree ! My girlfriend is in live with her bike now. 2nd time out and she was kicking butt practicing whellies, circles and figure eights. Had a blast doing it together ! Just make sure all proper gear is warn or else the first time you fall you won't want to get back on. I fell hard the first time out and thought Iit was kinda fun being launched 5 feet off the bike and felt nothing. laugh it off like a champ thanks to all the gear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast