User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Re: The Campfire.

Last week - UP 4014 Denver to Cheyenne
    (wasn't there - just seeing the vid posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bAN9speSsc

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    '95 Ford Explorer, '91 Suzuki Jimny
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Last week - UP 4014 Denver to Cheyenne
    (wasn't there - just seeing the vid posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bAN9speSsc

"

I was there in Greeley a couple of days prior to see it along its stop on its way to Denver.

I love seeing old steam locomotives in operation, and this is by far the biggest I've seen. It was just surreal, especially since the side of Greeley it stopped through seems like it hasn't changed much in the last century so it felt like I could've been in the past, other tourists with phones out aside.

My wife and I are planning to go on the Cumbres & Toltec steam train next week on Friday the 19th, doing Medano Pass Thursday the day before, stopping by Zapata falls then spending the night in Antonito - if that sounds interesting to any of y'all you're welcome to join. I've done all of the tourist trains in CO and it's my favorite given the variety of scenery, it's practically an all-day ride.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

+1 on the Cumbres & Toltec. My pref is Antonito to Cumbres for the build-up in scenery. The remoteness really sets the mind back a hundred years. Enjoy the trip!

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Another for Mark

Hummer H2 v Suzuki Jimny: OFF-ROAD!

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Another for Mark

Hummer H2 v Suzuki Jimny: OFF-ROAD!

"

Yikes @ British off-roading. Most of that looked like it would've been do-able in my Explorer in 2hi, and that last hill climb looks like a typical trail here that wouldn't be a problem with decent tires. It seems like the driver definitely doesn't know much about driving off-road or the vehicles, given his driving and his claim that the Jimny doesn't have differentials - maybe he meant lockers.

I am jealous of the 4th gens, too bad they won't be legal here for over 2 decades. That has almost twice the horsepower as the 2nd gens legal here, plus all the modern comforts that make them good daily drivers too.

I still much prefer my old 2nd gen over a Hummer. Mine has most of the off-road capability that a 4th gen would while still being much more maneuverable and lighter than a Hummer. Mine is also quite a bit lighter than even the 4th gens - according to the video that Jimny weighs 1100kg, though that is the non-kei-compliant (bigger/heavier) export version. My 2nd gen is the lighter kei model (3cyl 660cc) which weighs only 870kg. Driving it on the road in high winds can be quite a white-knuckle experience.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to Mad Maxx For This Post:

Jim (August 10th, 2022)

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Got some storm clouds rolling in tonight

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (August 13th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Mad Maxx previously posted:
    "I was there in Greeley a couple of days prior to see it along its stop on its way to Denver.

I love seeing old steam locomotives in operation, and this is by far the biggest I've seen. It was just surreal, especially since the side of Greeley it stopped through seems like it hasn't changed much in the last century so it felt like I could've been in the past, other tourists with phones out aside.

My wife and I are planning to go on the Cumbres & Toltec steam train next week on Friday the 19th, doing Medano Pass Thursday the day before, stopping by Zapata falls then spending the night in Antonito - if that sounds interesting to any of y'all you're welcome to join. I've done all of the tourist trains in CO and it's my favorite given the variety of scenery, it's practically an all-day ride."

I'm going to be on Medano Pass on thursday as well, the weather looks wonderful and the crossings should be pretty full with the recent rains. Conditions look good https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvis...-pass-road.htm Looks like there's a good mud puddle in the park too. We're staying in Westcliffe the night before and heading down first thing in the morning, coming back out back to Westcliffe later in the day. IDK if you're going over early, we can meet up if you want but if not I'll likely be going over before you so if I get stuck I know backup is coming, and if you get stuck I'll find you on my way out.
    We're hoping to check out Hermit Pass and Hermit Lake while were in the area too, no plan yet.

from just a couple of days ago

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Java previously posted:
    "I'm going to be on Medano Pass on thursday as well, the weather looks wonderful and the crossings should be pretty full with the recent rains. Conditions look good https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvis...-pass-road.htm Looks like there's a good mud puddle in the park too. We're staying in Westcliffe the night before and heading down first thing in the morning, coming back out back to Westcliffe later in the day. IDK if you're going over early, we can meet up if you want but if not I'll likely be going over before you so if I get stuck I know backup is coming, and if you get stuck I'll find you on my way out.
    We're hoping to check out Hermit Pass and Hermit Lake while were in the area too, no plan yet.

from just a couple of days ago

"

It sounds like you'll be getting out before we do - it's a bit of a drive for us and we're not morning people, but say hi if you see us! You'll see us in either an old 2-door Explorer with mismatched body panels and too many light bars or a tiny weird little blue Suzuki.

I'm still debating which to take since my Explorer is better on the highway but its 4x4 system is less reliable - I went back to the north sand hills late last summer and it was getting stuck with neither front wheel turning - either it was just a fluke or maybe the center diff isn't locking, because it seemed to work fine throughout the winter and at least some off-road since then.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

We're either in a grey Xterra or a red LJ, probably the Jeep. I'm going through both tonight, we'll decide after work tomorrow based on weather which one we take. Have fun and maybe we'll cross paths.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

James - is this one of your flat fender friends? South Fork of the Michigan River - Southeast North Park this past Thurs/Fri. That jeep looks small next to the pickup.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Jim previously posted:
    "James - is this one of your flat fender friends? South Fork of the Michigan River - Southeast North Park this past Thurs/Fri. That jeep looks small next to the pickup."

don't recognize the jeep....old school...with windshield folded and no roll bar, they look pretty small.

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (August 21st, 2022)

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

The water going up the creek to Zapata Falls was high! I was not prepared. There wasn't a consistent dry path on either side of the creek, so this necessitated several crossings. You could sort-of hop along some rocks to keep out of the water for a couple of them, but it got deeper further up and I submitted to just letting my shoes get soaked. It was a bunch of fun traversing up the creek and very scenic.

https://imgur.com/a/kXEzSyI

Next time I'll be more prepared. It seems that there are 2 approaches - wear high waterproof rubber boots to keep your feet dry, or wear water shoes that you don't mind getting soaked. The water is cold and the air gets cold in there even though it was an otherwise warm day out, so the former option with a light jacket would be most comfortable. Given how sunny and warm it was on the hike up to and down from the falls it wasn't bad getting wet and cooling off up there, though.

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Mad Maxx previously posted:
    "The water going up the creek to Zapata Falls was high! I was not prepared. There wasn't a consistent dry path on either side of the creek, so this necessitated several crossings. You could sort-of hop along some rocks to keep out of the water for a couple of them, but it got deeper further up and I submitted to just letting my shoes get soaked. It was a bunch of fun traversing up the creek and very scenic.

https://imgur.com/a/kXEzSyI

Next time I'll be more prepared. It seems that there are 2 approaches - wear high waterproof rubber boots to keep your feet dry, or wear water shoes that you don't mind getting soaked. The water is cold and the air gets cold in there even though it was an otherwise warm day out, so the former option with a light jacket would be most comfortable. Given how sunny and warm it was on the hike up to and down from the falls it wasn't bad getting wet and cooling off up there, though."

The one time I was there I had been doing photography at the sand dunes. I wasn't prepared at all and turned back at the first water crossin at the beginning of the canyon

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Nice pictures - thanks!

It is a neat thing to visit. I'd go again if I were in the area.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

https://k99.com/ixp/507/p/colorado-f...to-range-2022/

According to Snow Brains, snow fell on Friday, August 19, 2022, on the peaks in the Mosquito Range near Alma, Colorado.

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "https://k99.com/ixp/507/p/colorado-f...to-range-2022/

According to Snow Brains, snow fell on Friday, August 19, 2022, on the peaks in the Mosquito Range near Alma, Colorado."

It is definitely getting cooler up here! I've taken the window fans out (My primary "AC", aside from a swamp cooler) and even ran the heat for a few minutes last night to warm up a bit.

Being from GA, cool weather in August is still wild to me.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

Spent a week in South Dakota camping at Sheridan Lake. Got a few days of climbing in and had some time left over for a little site seeing. Even met one of the authors of my climbing guidebook due to crazy coincidence. Wife, climbing partner and his daughter took helicopter tour of Mt Rushmore and learned that the author was one of the pilots for the company. Visited Bear Country, pretty neat having 40ish bears all around the truck as you are driving through. Wanted to show some of the scenery pics but just had to get a climbing pic in there too. Already looking forward to another trip. The climbing is hard and scary. Typically about 20 ft to get to first bolt to have any protection from falling all the way back to the ground. Going to have to train hard to be more ready next time.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

I had no idea SD has such scenery.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Shopping for the last camera I'll ever buy, probably a pair of GoPro Hero 8 Blacks. I only want it for video, for pics I never really use my "real" camera anymore and will just upgrade my phone next. These videos are a year old, a very long time in phone tech.

cool accessory https://www.amazon.com/Windslayer-Re...083FV6W25?th=1

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I'm closing in with a home assembled camp power pack with solar panel charging. The plan is to be able to work from a "forest office" with a Starlink satellite connection.

In the car, the solar panels readily fit in the back. For the jeep, my plan is to mount them onto the hood (mounting is mostly complete, but no photos yet).

Several photos at the link:
    www.JimWilliamson.net/misc/2022-08--camp-power-with-solar-panel-charging/

24. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

DaveO (August 28th, 2022),Java (August 27th, 2022),Mad Maxx (August 28th, 2022)